First time kitten owner

missivyrae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi everyone,
I have tried doing research and I just don’t know what to do about my kitten. I rescued her when she was about 5 weeks old. She did not grow up with siblings or her mother for very long. She is now 14 weeks and I guess I would say she plays very aggressively. She is cuddly and loving, but it seems like she turns into a different cat when she wants attention. I have heard that a spray bottle (I know there are different opinions) could work at deterring behavior, but I read that it could actually make it worse. I don’t know what to do when she bites and lunges (specifically at my face) and won’t let go. Her biting is only getting worse as she is getting older so I really would like to teach her now when she is young, but how can I do that without another “motherly” cat? Thanks in advance and any tips are appreciated.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Forget the spray bottle. It just scares the cat and doesn't act as a deterrent. When she lunges at your face, catch her and gently put her on the floor, then ignore her for a while. Do the same with the biting. Cats learn better through behavior. When she sees you stop interacting with her, she will eventually stop acting like that.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Don't be afraid to squall at her, either. A loud "OW OW OW," or even a loud HISS will tell her that this is unacceptable. They come into this world understanding what a hiss means.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
by attention you mean she wants to play and play rough? like wrapping her fore legs around a body part then biting kicking with backegs?if yes buy a dog toy she can beat up. pretty sure by now your able to recognize the impending plan the big eyes/intent stare etc. so you just grab that toy encourage her to attack it and beat it up .takes a bit for her to get the idea but plenty of praise and encouragement she will learn fast. her being so young means your the parent so dont give up be kind and loving in teaching her manners. also once she loses her kitten teeth her bites wont hurt so much big kitty teeth are much duller compared to those pointy sharp kitten teeth.pic graycie destroying her bunny dog chew toy after dragging it onto one of the shorter cat trees we have she loves that bunny and will chase it down and tackle it after i throw it across my apartment or snatch it out of mid air when given the chance. its a long process that will make you feel so rewarded once you both figure things out together :rolleyes:i have to admit though that she does target my stroke affected side when she initiates play most times:lol: a no claw swipe at my bad leg means its time to start rolling her balls to chase or throwing other toys around for her to chase and me to fetch she will still bite me some times they are gentle bites without much force to them a loud no biting and she lets go and i give her the bunny to chew up so she can really bite hard and use her back leggs to shred the poor bunny up.do get your kitten used to nail trims asap . those dew claws are brutal hooks of no escape once they get long and are used to hook an arm or legg:biggrin:i have a few scars still left over while i was teaching her no claws allowed trying to get me to play.

Attachments