First Time Foster

MommaCat_2018

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

On Wednesday my 6 month old male kitty died after being neutered on Saturday. Nobody could tell us what happened for sure but most likely had a previous condition before the surgery or tore internally. We were completely heart broken. When I told the individual we had got him from, she had rescued an abandoned momma cat two weeks prior but was unable to continue to care for her. So, we adopted her in. There is a very high chance the momma is pregnant from the dad of our kitty that passed.

Anyways, we will be getting MommaCat spayed as soon as she is ready but we know very little about fostering or having a pregnant momma. I’ve attached a picture. The lady we got her from thinks another week but nobody knows. It is her second liter and she is over a year old. First liter had 5, but one died.

Is there anything I can look for, as far as nipple go to help me determine when she will deliver?

Also, should I plan to try and be here during delivery? Any info is helpful we have read ALOT!

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Look out on when she drops ie looks less big. Just days afterward.

She is pretty mediumhaired domestic seal lynx point.
You can peehaps compare with Neva Masquerade.

What are the looks of probable dad?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MommaCat_2018

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your reply! I got on this site originally because I wondered if cats “dropped” but I head read mixed replies. I assumed it was something that had to happen. When she is laying, we can feel the babies lower like at her hind leg crease. But then, we can also feel them in the middle and up higher towards her back.
I’m unsure of dad. I think she said maybe a black cat or an orange tabby but I could be wrong! Ther are A LOT of cats around there, but most are fixed thank goodness!
What is Neva Masquerade?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Google on N.M. :)

Btw, yes, its good if you can be present when she delivers. if she is pal with you, she will definitely appreciate it.
And even if she is shy, she will probably tolerate your presence.
Even rescued semiferales usually do. (yes, its one of the marvels of rescuing work).

MommaCat_2018

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Googled it! Glad to know a little more about her! She isn’t shy at all! Very loving and sweet. My daughter adores her and she loves the lap snuggles and head rubs! I hope to be able to be here when she had the babies! I will be on high alert!
Any advice
For nests? She seems to like the cupboards. But her favorite one is not wide enough or tall enough to put much with her.
I’ve given closet with low side box and blankets; empty dresser drawers with blankets, different boxes, set up a larger cupboard. Just want to ensure she has what she needs.
Should I try to limit stair usage? She seems huge to me , but I’ve never been around a pregnant cat. Doesn’t seem to be in pain or major discomfort.
She is eating a TON! I always keep the dry food fill and half a car wet food morning and night. She also insisted on shredded chicken I made for our dinner. Is that okay? sounds like she hadn’t eaten for a couple days before I got her and potentially a week and a half before the other lady took her in.

MommaCat_2018

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How can I tell when her milk comes in?

Sleepyhead

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there! We are also first time fosters of a pregnant cat who is due any day now, too!

It sounds like you're off to a great start, offering various safe "nesting" spots for her. We've tried a few different set-ups and locations for our mama, but from our recent experience, she is not that interested in them so far. Some cats don't really choose their spot until they go in to labor.

Re: her milk coming in, that's a toss-up. Everything I've read says that some cats will have obvious milk before the kittens are born - full mammary glands and dried milk on their nipples - while others don't get their milk until after the kittens are born.

I think your best bet is to keep providing as much water and high-quality kitten food as mama will drink and eat, and get a kitchen scale so you can weigh the kittens daily after they're born. As long as they are gaining well, mama has her milk and the kittens are getting enough.

As for limiting her activity - I think this must depend on how active or fit the cat in question is. Just like with humans - pregnancy is not the right time to start an intense exercise regimen if you were a couch potato before conceiving. So if mama is active and seems comfortable and happy to be on the move, let her wander around the house. We've tried confining our cat to our guest room when we sleep and when we leave the house - just so we know where to look for her if she goes into labor while we're asleep/out - but she doesn't like being stuck in one room. How does your mama cat feel about it?

I am going to try to be around when our cat gives birth, but I think this is somewhat out of my own curiosity as well as wanting to be nearby in case anything goes awry. Lots of people have told me that cats are very natural, independent mothers and most likely will not need my company, supervision, or assistance. Then again, others say their cats got super-clingy and really needed the comfort of a known being when labor started. Who knows?

I'll be following your journey! I'm sorry for the loss of your kitten. Best of luck with mama and her litter. Mama is incredibly beautiful, too.

MommaCat_2018

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Congratulations on your first foster too! I was doing the same with keeping her in a room but she isn’t a fan. She is a very clingy cat and I’ve only had her sense Thursday evening. She seems to have lost her mucus plug or at least started to today. My daughter went to her dads tonight so I am letting her on my bed and she seems too be in stage one of labor or at least is show labor signs. Breathing more rapid but not panting and trying to clean more than I have ever seen her do and keeps lifting leg!

MommaCat_2018

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Momma is having contractions. Haven’t seen any heavy panting yet or much fluid but very needy and vocal. Visible contractions and wants me rubbing her tummy and head and then pushes me away

MommaCat_2018

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not that I can tell!! They have tried but with no luck as far as I can tell. Advice?
Mom seems okay. She is resting in between and I’m trying to help clean babies but only when she rests and looks at me like, “ your turn”

MommaCat_2018

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, they are latchin we are up to 6 kittens now. Momma seems to be running out of room on this make shift last minute box. I don’t think I should move her though, right?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would wait until she is through, then she can be moved to something roomier. 6 kittens! Congratulations! They are darling and mama is beautiful. everything sounds good, just give mama lots of attention and good food and everything should go along smoothly.
I'm so sorry about the death of your little boy. I have neutered so many and have never had problems, so it is a shock when I hear of things like this, my heart goes out to you. Let the miracle of birth help lift your spirits, these little ones will help you pass on his legacy of love, he is purring with happiness over the births and the feelings of happiness you are sending his way!

MommaCat_2018

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your kind words! Momma FINALLY ate the 6th placenta and umbilical cord. Waiting on the next one now... I offered her water and she wasn’t having it, I offered a small amount of can food and she gobbled it up. Hope the wasn’t a bad idea. I thought I had another week before delivery and I don’t have scale or heating bad or anything and don’t get paid until Wednesday. Best advice?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
There is some risk of diarrheas if they eats more than 4 placentas.