First Time Foster - Help Advise Socializing A Feral Cat

dazrilen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
After having rescued and cared for a number of feral and stray cats in the neighborhood, I have volunteered with a local rescue as a foster. My first assignment is Joey a male tabby who when he arrived 6 weeks ago was considered feral. He was hissing a swatting. I set him up in a large crate I covered the crate and have gradually removed the covers except for the top. After 3 weeks Joey allowed me to pet him with a feather wand. After another week we graduated to a back scratcher wand. He purrs and shows his belly and even occasionally allows me to use my hand. He now eats in front of me most nights. Yesterday however, he refused to come out from UNDER his bed (where he stays most of the day) he would not eat or allow any tickles. Should I remove the bed so he cannot hide or does he need that for a safe place and should I consider this a minor setback.

Attachments

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww... what a cutie pie. :catlove:

Welcome to TCS, btw. :wave2: And thanks for your past and current care of ferals. :heartshape:

I have no experience with socializing ferals, but have been reading these threads for a while, and know it can be one step forward, and 2 steps back. But in time, these scared cats will come around.

Until some other members reply, I'll post links to a couple TCS articles on ferals. Good luck. :crossfingers: Keep us posted.

Handling Feral Cats
The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dazrilen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Than you so much. I will read through the info you sent much appreciated

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
:hellosmiley: D dazrilen , welcome to TCS!

Thank you for fostering Joey :clap: You’ve done a good job so far with good progress and please keep doing what you’ve been doing. Keep the routine so that Joey gets use to it.

rubysmama rubysmama has some good articles for you to read.

Cats, sometimes have their moods and need some space of their own. And sometimes something might have just spooked him like a loud noise or sudden movements. It’s ok for him to hide but when he does that, always give him the assurance that everything is ok. Speak softly and lovingly to him and probably after awhile he’ll come out. Never never try to pull him out, let him come out of hiding on his own. Get low to his level like sitting on the floor and entice him to come out with food, treats or a cat wand. Stir up his instincts to hunt.
Cover up as many hiding holes as you can and leave a cardboard box with some towels with his scents for him as his safe spot.

Yes, dealing with them is always one step forward and two steps back but just don’t be discouraged. It takes time, sometimes lots of it, it takes lots of love, lots of patience and routines.

Feel free to ask questions and do keep us posted of the progress. Oh yea, he’s a cutie! :lovecat2: :lovecat:

dazrilen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
:hellosmiley: D dazrilen , welcome to TCS!

Thank you for fostering Joey :clap: You’ve done a good job so far with good progress and please keep doing what you’ve been doing. Keep the routine so that Joey gets use to it.

rubysmama rubysmama has some good articles for you to read.

Cats, sometimes have their moods and need some space of their own. And sometimes something might have just spooked him like a loud noise or sudden movements. It’s ok for him to hide but when he does that, always give him the assurance that everything is ok. Speak softly and lovingly to him and probably after awhile he’ll come out. Never never try to pull him out, let him come out of hiding on his own. Get low to his level like sitting on the floor and entice him to come out with food, treats or a cat wand. Stir up his instincts to hunt.
Cover up as many hiding holes as you can and leave a cardboard box with some towels with his scents for him as his safe spot.

Yes, dealing with them is always one step forward and two steps back but just don’t be discouraged. It takes time, sometimes lots of it, it takes lots of love, lots of patience and routines.

Feel free to ask questions and do keep us posted of the progress. Oh yea, he’s a cutie! :lovecat2: :lovecat:
Thank you so much. I will keep doing what I am doing and practice patience

dazrilen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much. I will keep doing what I am doing and practice patience

dazrilen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you he is a cutie. The rescue says he is between 1.5 and 2. I think he is on the younger side he is quite small actually but that could be from malnutrition when he is not hiding he is so sweet and craved tickles and affection the the next day he hides and we are back to mild hisses when he is disturbed