First Time Cat Owner, I NEED HELP, MY CAT WONT STOP SELF MUTILATING

saustin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't know what else to do so I am turning to the internet for help , I thought I finally had this solved but no or at least I think...

I adopted a 5 or 6 year old tabby from a local rescue group about 6 weeks ago. When I first got her they indicated that she had a minor rash on her underside and were working to clear is up and they said moisturizer appeared to be doing the trick. Before I go any further let me give you her back story.

She lived with the same owner for the first 5 years of her life then her owner died and her family came in and cleaned out the apartment and cleaned her (Raven, the cat) out as well. They put her out on the street and there she stayed for over a month until she finally got picked up by someone and delivered to the rescue. While on the street it was theorized she picked up fleas and that's where the rash came from as I had seen flea dirt on her at one point though the rescue swore she did not have fleas as that is what their vet hat told them (This part is important so remember) 

Okay to pick up where I enter the picture. I brought her home 6 weeks ago and the first two weeks were great she was happy would rest with me on the couch sleep in bed with me all that stuff, then by the third week I began to realize that "she" was causing these scabs and bald spots on herself, mainly on her stomach and on her front legs. I looked this behavior up and came to find it is called over grooming. After some reading I realized i needed to determine was i seeing over grooming related to a health issue or compulsive grooming due to stress. At first I thought perhaps she was allergic to fish since i was giving her tuna fish and that seemed to be worsening the issue so I found her a high quality fish free food called Canidae, She certainly loved this food but I saw no improvement so thought to try a food with only meat, no poultry. I found Natures Verity and this appeared to help at first but the behavior continued. I was then told by another rescue group it could be stress related from all the changes in her life. So I purchased a pheromone diffuser and hoped it would help, no dice. 

Finally I doubled back to the flea dirt I had seen and decided to check her again as I was also feeling oddly itchy. I put her in the bath tub ruffled her fur and saw two tiny black dots, both which appeared to be moving after this I immediately gave her a bath which made her a different cat she was able to rest for the first time in I don't know how long. . So at this point I called the rescue and told them. The woman from the rescue brought me some medication, a pill, that she said would cause the fleas to jump off of her. After the bath and the meds she was doing great, grooming normally and leaving her stomach alone. But the next day she began to regress, exhibiting all of the same behaviors again. Licking biting sucking at her skin until she bled. So today I ran out and got her some front-line which the woman from the rescue said was the last piece of the puzzle, I was disregarding the fact I had already ordered some on amazon. So today I bathed her again and then administered the front line after she was dry. She appeared to be doing very well. then we both left the apartment so I could fumigate it. I put her in her carrier and we left for two hours to let the place air out. (I am worried the carrier may have been a mistake as it was one she was in before, during the time I suspected the fleas, this was stupid on my part and I hope the reason she had this most recent episode)

Now we are back have been for two hours and she has reverted back to the biting licking and the sucking of her problem spots even after the frontline was given. She has taken a few breaks, sleeping, one break was about ten minutes, then she was grooming again, and now she is sleeping again, which she did not do before but she is still going after these areas, pulling her fur out and licking her skin to the point of scabbing and drawing blood. I really don't know what to do at this point. I have done all I can think of, and Yes, I have taken her to the vet, Twice! I am truly at my wits end at this point. If the front line doesn't start to work and she does not start to recover I am really at the point where I may consider returning her to the rescue.

I am pleading for help here, I feel awful about this, she is such a sweet cat and her suffering is making me sick, Literally. I have been a dog person all my life and this is the first time I have ever had a cat. I even began to think maybe it is something environmental in my apartment making her sick and she would be better off somewhere else. I just don't know anymore. 

It is sunday 1/12/14 for time Reference.

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like she is probably allergic to flea bites and just continuing to bit at them. I would think she would need something to treat the sores i.e. A steroid and antibiotics to calm her skin. I have heard of cats doing this as a nervous habit but I don't think it is common. I think I would take the cat to the vet for treatment of the lesions first before looking at something behavioral. Have you tried to clean the wounds? I have an cat that will excessively groom and that's a hint for me to check for fleas once I get them off of him it takes a couple days for his skin to calm down. I was given a cream to put on the spots. I have had a hard time of late with fleas as I live in a warm climate. In the meantime you may want to try to redirect your cat's attention when you notice the grooming. I begin to pet mine and show him a lot of attention. I've tried catnip as well. Also there is feliway spray you can use to try to calm your cat. I would definitely take your cat to the Vet to treat to calm the skin. It can be difficult to watch I know but I think there is hope!!

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, this sounds like fleas really bother her. I think the pill you got was Capstar, which is an excellent med but they only last about 24 hours. Hence you saw the fleas driving her nuts again. How long has it been since you put the Frontline on her? It takes a day or so to properly distribute on the fur/skin. Ask the vet if it is too soon to give another Capstar. Capstar is pretty safe but I'd rather you hear from the vet what's best.

Even if kitty never goes outside, know that fleas can/will catch a ride on you, dogs, anything going and coming to/from your apartment. So flea control is probably going to need regular monthly maintenance such as Frontline, Revolution, etc. You can buy over the counter flea collars and put them in the vacuum bag and vacuum...do NOT use them on kitty though! They're too toxic.

I hope everything works out. Thank you for adopting an older kitty. They often don't get a chance.

jaymetal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey.

I wanted to add one thing. This might have nothing to do with it or help at all, but i never read where you played with the cat at all. Something of a diversion that would help get this off the cats mind.  A wand with feathers. When you see them doing this undesirable trait, you could pick up the wand and engage in some play. Cats get bored easily and need lots of stimulation.  Try some play time in your schedule. Keep them active. It helps not only them, but you as well.  Hope that you find some peace from all this you're going through. Let us know how things are going please. 

Last edited by a moderator:

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
 It sounds like she is probably allergic to flea bites and just continuing to bit at them. I would think she would need something to treat the sores i.e. A steroid and antibiotics to calm her skin. I have heard of cats doing this as a nervous habit but I don't think it is common. I think I would take the cat to the vet for treatment of the lesions first before looking at something behavioral. Have you tried to clean the wounds? I have an cat that will excessively groom and that's a hint for me to check for fleas once I get them off of him it takes a couple days for his skin to calm down. I was given a cream to put on the spots. I have had a hard time of late with fleas as I live in a warm climate. In the meantime you may want to try to redirect your cat's attention when you notice the grooming. I begin to pet mine and show him a lot of attention. I've tried catnip as well. Also there is feliway spray you can use to try to calm your cat. I would definitely take your cat to the Vet to treat to calm the skin. It can be difficult to watch I know but I think there is hope!!

And well done, you have been so observant and dedicated - you're doing all the right things.

I might go to a different vet than the one you have seen - who didn't seem to be overly helpful.  I have learned that there are vets, and then there are vets, and then there are - best of all - feline vets!  It took me a while to find a good vet, and I ended up 'interviewing' - going in without my cat.  This vet is the ONLY vet who has ever had a purr from my boy.  But you don't have time to interview to find a forever vet at this point of need, so I'd just try someone else.  They really should be giving something to calm down the itchies.

And don't worry, even if it turns out to be a behavioural issue (over grooming due to stress becoming imbeded behaviour), they can give meds to help 'turn off' this switch and let everything calm down and re-set.  But I too think it is physical at this stage.  Poor girl - I can remember making myself bleed through scratching a terribly bad mosquito bite on several occasions, and it's just not fun.

deborahlee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Something very safe that might help the itching (but I wouldn't put it on the sores) is a solution of 1/2 water and 1/2 apple cider vinegar.  You might consider a collar to keep her from scratching and biting at it until the steroids, etc., take place.  The idea someone offered about playing with  her to distract her from her skin isn't a bad one either.

One other thing I didn't see mentioned (if it was, my apologies) is asking the vet about giving her something to relax her for a while like diazepam.  A short term treatment of something like that could be very helpful, it has for me in the past when I've had cats that became super-stressed over a situation like a move, etc.  More times than not, the negative or stress-related behaviors stopped.

\

deborahlee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry about that, for some reason my computer had a glitch and posted my last post numerous times.  I didn't know how to remove it, so just erased them.

\

Last edited:

fleabags mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think you're a brilliant mom!!

the only thing I can add is sometimes the meds can take a couple of days to work. There will still be fleas on kitty or around her even after frontline. The thing is it takes a while for those fleas to die - and they die by biting kitty.  You say that it's just been a few hours since taking meds and fumigating the home - I think that it's just not been long enough.  We frontlined our cat a few months ago because of fleas and it was about 24-36 hours before we started to see dead and dying ones and combing them out. He stopped itching after a few days.

Oh, and just to say keep an eye out in a few weeks. It only takes one egg and the whole thing comes up again. We fumigated our house and bought some home flea spray from the vet and still ended up with fleas again, determined little rotters they are!

blackcat416

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Try and pick up a soft collar for around her neck so she can't get to her belly. She will hate it but it's better then the hard collars and it will give her belly a chance to heal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saustin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, fist of all I want to thank everyone for their suggestions, it means a lot to be able to talk to other people and get their take. To cover everyone's points yes I have been playing with her, that was one of the early tests when I was thinking it was stress. I also flea combed her tonight and I could not find a single one on her but again tonight she is still going at her problem areas. I also had a few people tell me that if it was fleas I would know because i would plainly see them on her skin but when i was searching her skin I saw nothing. The only things I saw were black spec on a tub floor which I thought were moving and now based on what everyone is saying, that frontline can take time to kick in I am wondering if I just saw what I wanted to to hope I had a solution.   I have also gone the e collar route. there was a point when she was totally healed wearing it but as soon as the collar came off the behavior started again. As far as vets I have received a few recommendations of some really good ones locally, the one I took her two was back home in not close to where I live for work. If I see no improvement by the end of the week another vet will be the next stop. Also yes the medication she received was capstar. I also have tried cleaning the wounds topical steroids, one of the vets gave her an injectable steroid and no luck. Nothing has worked at all, The frontline was applied about 24 hours ago. Like I said I am going to give it a week to see if my anti flea measures work if not the very last thing I have yet to try is an environmental test to see if relocating her for a while would help thinking maybe it is a factor in the apartment, though I dont think  it would seeing as this issue exited before I had her.  At this point it is wait and see and if no improvement another vet trip.

thanks again everyone for all the suggestions.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You might want to invest in a Feliway diffuser or two.  That will help her de-stress.  I'm wondering if she's having an allergic reaction to either the food you're feeding or the litter you're using.  Just more things to consider, especially since it's on her tummy.

deborahlee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Relocating her would make it worse if it were stress related.

I read your post, and you didn't mention the suggestion I had made, which I am saying not out of ego but just that it doesn't seem to be something you've tried and it could very well help.

I had suggested a mild sedative, prescribed by a vet of course.  I have had diazepam (like valium)  prescribed for my cats who were exhibiting negative behavior in stressful situations and it has helped quite a bit.  That, along with treatment to make her skin better is worth a try.  And the 1-part apple cider vinegar to 1-part water on her skin in safe, and you never know it might help.  It's really good for a cat's skin in many ways.

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A couple of possibilities come to mind for me.  A food allergy/intolerance and/or Psychogenic Alopecia.  http://drbarchas.com/psychogenic_alopecia  I have a kitty who does the same thing she chews on her stomach, it is bald as is the hair on her inner thighs/legs.  She nibbles constantly.  We have tried behavioral modification and it helps to an extent, but she really needs meds, but meds stress her out to the point of hiding under the couch all day so we chose just to let her be.  http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2012/09/10/cats-excessive-grooming.aspx

jujubee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My vet suggested that I give the kitten my daughter found bath's with Johnsons baby shampoo. Something about the shampoo kills the eggs or newly hatched fleas or something. I would bath him, when he was kind of dry, comb out the flea dander (the dander is actually little pellets of blood that the flea parents leave for the flea babies so they have something to eat), and pick off fleas that were still running around.

I did that for about 4 days, he was so weak, he didn't squirm around or anything so it was easy.  I don't know how old your cat is so baths may not be an option for you.

Many years ago I lived in Southern California, I would get so bitten up by fleas on my lower legs,......I can totally understand how your cat feels. If all the fleas in the world died today, it would probably take a week or two to stop scratching!

But yeah, if there are fleas outside- they'll come in on you! If you go somewhere where there are fleas they'll hitch a ride!

What about a flea collar?

fleabags mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I also had a few people tell me that if it was fleas I would know because i would plainly see them on her skin but when i was searching her skin I saw nothing.
I couldn't find anything on our cat - and neither could our vet when I asked her to check him over. I checked every couple of days and the first flea I saw was after I'd been giving my cat a cuddle and it later jumped off my head onto my hand - ewww! Anyway, I must say it may not be fleas but I guess only time will tell. I was told for every flea I saw, there were 50 I couldn't. How lovely ;-)

Feliway can help some cats, it didn't do much for mine and it's expensive. There is a spray I think that works out a lot cheaper and may be a better way to see if  your cat is helped by it before paying out. Good luck with everything and hope the vets can help you out some more. Keeping fingers crossed!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saustin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, she has been doing better the last two nights. Last night was touch and go but tonight her condition is improving. She is still biting her front legs but she is paying much less attention to her stomach I even venture to say I am seeing some healing there. Also I do have a feliway diffuser which helps a little but not much. Also I have considered the mild sedative idea but I would prefer to keep that as a last resort. I also was given a suggestion from several friends who have cats that if it is allergy related a half of  a children's benedril can help. I have done that for the last two days and it appears to be helping. I was also told by the rescue group that she was not all that well cared for by her first owner so some of this behavior could be deeply rooted in her. I feel like I am off the edge at this point and the flea and allergy treatment are at least improving the situation. At this point since she is actually able to relax for periods now I am going to observe her for the rest of the week and see how she does but in all likelihood I will be taking her to the vet soon. At this point I suspect if it was fleas she is perhaps allergic, and if that is the case I read after an allergen is removed it could take up to eight weeks for the symptoms to dissipate. At least now I have a better handle on it and she is doing better, Not out of the woods yet but I think I see the exit.    

Thanks all, I'll keep you updated

sarah ann

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You need to find a different vet. Your vet should know exactly how to approach this.

For itchy cats- you need to rule out mites. There are 2 types of mites. One responds best to lyme sulfur dips, another responds best to Revolution given every 2 weeks instead of every month.  Mites require a skin scraping for diagnosis. They take a dull scalpel and rub the skin. If you don't want to do a skin scraping, you can try treating with Revolution as that should kill both the fleas and one type of mite.

Mites and fleas can both make a cat miserable.

You need to implement 100% flea control. This means frequent vacuuming as flea eggs end up in your carpet- this also helps if the cat is allergic to dust mites in your carpet.

At some point you may need a hypoallergenic prescription food to try.  If that fails to help, than you need to try antihistamines like benadryl along with fatty acid supplements. If that fails you move onto a drug like prednisolone which supresses the animal's over active immune system. If none of those things work, you can try allergy shots, but that gets expensive.

sarah ann

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
FYI: Be very careful with antihistamines- they can make your pet really dopey and at high doses can cause serious side effects or death.

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

You need to find a different vet. Your vet should know exactly how to approach this.

For itchy cats- you need to rule out mites. There are 2 types of mites. One responds best to lyme sulfur dips, another responds best to Revolution given every 2 weeks instead of every month.  Mites require a skin scraping for diagnosis. They take a dull scalpel and rub the skin. If you don't want to do a skin scraping, you can try treating with Revolution as that should kill both the fleas and one type of mite.

Mites and fleas can both make a cat miserable.

You need to implement 100% flea control. This means frequent vacuuming as flea eggs end up in your carpet- this also helps if the cat is allergic to dust mites in your carpet.

At some point you may need a hypoallergenic prescription food to try.  If that fails to help, than you need to try antihistamines like benadryl along with fatty acid supplements. If that fails you move onto a drug like prednisolone which supresses the animal's over active immune system. If none of those things work, you can try allergy shots, but that gets expensive.
Benadryl doesn't work very well in cats.  Chlorampheniramine is the preferred antihistamine in cats.