First time cat mom

Kg123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
so my baby girl is pregnant. She’s 3 and a half. This is her first litter (and mines) and she will be spayed once she has recovered.

she is an indoor cat, and my kitten got to her before I had him neutered (he is neutered now.)

the problem is, we can’t work out when her last season was so we can’t work out dates, although I’d say she’s ready to go any day.

she has nested for the last week and her teats are right out and a pinkish colour with white tips with little black dots, and the fur is sparse around those areas.
She keeps jumping into bed with me and digging deep at my stomach and back.
The only thing confusing me is that she’s still eating lots!! Most information online suggests they stop eating before labour, but I can’t see how much longer this could take with the stage she seems to be at. And advice greatly appreciated. I will give it another 24 hours then contact the vet- wanted to avoid as she never goes out so the travel would stress her.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
so my baby girl is pregnant. She’s 3 and a half. This is her first litter (and mines) and she will be spayed once she has recovered.

she is an indoor cat, and my kitten got to her before I had him neutered (he is neutered now.)

the problem is, we can’t work out when her last season was so we can’t work out dates, although I’d say she’s ready to go any day.

she has nested for the last week and her teats are right out and a pinkish colour with white tips with little black dots, and the fur is sparse around those areas.
She keeps jumping into bed with me and digging deep at my stomach and back.
The only thing confusing me is that she’s still eating lots!! Most information online suggests they stop eating before labour, but I can’t see how much longer this could take with the stage she seems to be at. And advice greatly appreciated. I will give it another 24 hours then contact the vet- wanted to avoid as she never goes out so the travel would stress her.
There is nothing calming as the waiting time. NOT.

Its not easy, essentially just to prepare - and wait.

But there may be signs. Braxton Hicks contractions - prelabor - comes usually about 1 week before.

The dropping - cat seems suddenly less preg - comes usually a 2 day before. Not all cats drops visibly, but its the most common. And this is a fairly good sign.

Mucus plug goes off - often a few hours before delivery, but sometimes may go a couple weeks earlier too...

In overall we can say, a too early delivery is much more dangerous for kittens than with humans.
but a somewhat too long pregnancy is less dangerous for cats than for humans.
So usually we advise to wait it out, dont rush for an cesarean unless something is vry visibly wrong.

- a cesarean saves momma, but is often dangerous for kittens. , and very dangerous if too early...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kg123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There is nothing calming as the waiting time. NOT.

Its not easy, essentially just to prepare - and wait.

But there may be signs. Braxton Hicks contractions - prelabor - comes usually about 1 week before.

The dropping - cat seems suddenly less preg - comes usually a 2 day before. Not all cats drops visibly, but its the most common. And this is a fairly good sign.

Mucus plug goes off - often a few hours before delivery, but sometimes may go a couple weeks earlier too...

In overall we can say, a too early delivery is much more dangerous for kittens than with humans.
but a somewhat too long pregnancy is less dangerous for cats than for humans.
So usually we advise to wait it out, dont rush for an cesarean unless something is vry visibly wrong.

- a cesarean saves momma, but is often dangerous for kittens. , and very dangerous if too early...
Thank you so much this has calmed me down lol

I’ve had a cuddle with her just now and it’s strange cos I wondered at first if she’d had the babies as she didn’t look or feel pregnant.? I wonder if this is the start!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you so much this has calmed me down lol

I’ve had a cuddle with her just now and it’s strange cos I wondered at first if she’d had the babies as she didn’t look or feel pregnant.? I wonder if this is the start!
She has perhaps dropped? Whe she drops, kittens are squeezed in the the birthing channel, and you dont feel their movements as much... If so, about 2 days left...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Excellent advice so far! Not all cats stop eating before labor, but many get diarrhea a day or two before as it clears the system for the pushing. It does not sound like she needs the vet. Just be patient and keep us posted!