First Stage Of Labor?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

QuenV92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well,no kittens. Jellybean is very restless. She is still doing a lot of licking,but not much discharge like before. Still breathing deep and slow,no panting. I've let her out of the bedroom to walk around and hopefully help things along.
I did notice earlier this afternoon that he vulva is definitely opened and seems to pulse,almost like a heartbeat. She has been eating more,but not drinking as much.
Hopefully it won't be much longer for her. She has gone back to wanting some lovins, but not so affectionate as before. Just wants and needs the occasional head rub. And she is very against me touching her belly. She's stopped letting me feel for contractions and the kittens moving. She is definitely agitated!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Aww, poor thing. She's getting there though. She must be tired already.

QuenV92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's exhausted. Only makes it a few steps before laying down again. Is there anything I can do to help move it along?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Q QuenV92

No, not really.

What's going on? Are you seeing contractions in her belly?

Last edited:

QuenV92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just laid with her for awhile and out of nowhere started continuously liking herself all over for a good five minutes,I'm assuming just restlessness. Her breathing started to pick up. With her going back and forth with all her licking,I could see her vulva clearly open and as she would lick,more discharge would start coming and then a gush came out. After she cleaned that up, she started panting just a bit. I'm leaving her alone for a few minutes, letting her have some privacy.

QuenV92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Heavier breathing with her nostrils almost flaring.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Q QuenV92

I'm concerned that she is losing a great deal of amniotic fluid and panting so much without delivering a kitten. I'm wondering if she is experiencing dystocia, which is lack of contractions, or contractions not strong enough, to deliver her kittens. This is why I asked if you can see contractions in her belly.

Are you on the east coast? Do you have an emergency vet you could get to quickly if the need arises?

QuenV92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure what to look for as far as contractions,I know what they feel like. But she's not allowing me to go near her belly. I can see twinge and roll movement, but I don't know if that's the kittens moving or cotractions. Her panting has only really started. She's had deep breathing,all in rythym.
I'm in Georgia, looking up emergency vets now.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Where in Georgia are you?

I'm hoping she'll make more progress soon, but I want you to be prepared.

What is the discharge coming out? Is it clear? Is it pinkish? Bloody? Is it mucusy or watery?

Does she seem in distress at all?

The panting sounds fairly normal to me right now.

QuenV92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The discharge is clear watery like mucus. She doesn't seem to be distressed, she's doing very well. She just seems very uncomfortable. I'm located in Hinesville,all the vets around are closed. How long should I wait before taking action?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You have no emergency vets in your area at all?

I think she sounds okay for now. It sounds like normal labor still.

I think you are seeing contractions in her belly. Has she been able to sleep at all?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I see now that you are in southeast georgia near the coast in a fairly small town.

If she has not had kittens by tomorrow morning you'll want to take her to a vet.

She's had a litter before, so I'm hoping things will progress normally.

Last edited:

QuenV92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I looked a video up on YouTube to compare what I'm seeing to real contractions and they look identical. I've also noticed that while watching for contractions, when I believe she is having one her tail moves harder and slows down once the contraction is over.
While being in there with her just now,she started moving away from me,telling me it's almost time and to leave her alone.
Is there a way to track her contractions next time I check on her? How long should they be,how far apart?

QuenV92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes,she's been snoozing on and off in between her licking sessions. If she's not licking,she's sleeping and adjusting herself in different positions.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Okay, I feel better now about her labor. I think she'll be okay.

She should have her kittens by tomorrow.

When the contractions are non-stop she will begin pushing. Can you time them to see how many minutes there are in between?

QuenV92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if I timed them correctly considering how she is laying. But if I'm right,they're about two minutes apart.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's good. She's getting there!

Will you be staying up with her, or at least staying in the room with her tonight?

QuenV92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've made my pot of coffee and am going to stay up as long as I can with her. She was hogging the bed in the bedroom,but just a few seconds ago went to her nesting area and has been licking.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I believe she will be fine, and that you will have kittens by morning.

I was concerned earlier as she has been in labor for 2 days from your descriptions, and it did not sound like she was progressing. I prefer to err on the side of caution rather than lose a litter!