First Pet; Road to Adulting

knikoleellis

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Meet Skout. I got her from Animal Ark Rescue 2 days ago. I met her last Friday when she jumped into my arms, and that weekend I bought everything I needed and went back and got her Monday after work. She was hiding in the back of the cage on Monday, but I was determined that this was the kitty for me. She's a 5 month old Tortie. I love her dearly, even though she doesn't come out of the corner of the empty guest room I have designated as hers. 

I'm a recent graduate with my dream job in my career field, and wanted my first fur baby, hopefully to alleviate the baby fever that won't go away. She lets me pet her for 5 minutes at a time before she sprints to the other side of the room. They said she was litter box trained but she's pooping beside the litter box, and not actually in it. 

I haven't heard her meow yet, but she does purr whenever we rub her. My fiance is about to head back off to school, so she's my new companion, and hopefully we can get her to open up before he leaves. She is confined to one bedroom for now, but eventually she'll get run of the house (except the master bedroom). 

Thanks for listening, 

Skout Penelope Bass's new Mama <3

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh.my.goodness.
What a sweet little peanut little Miss Skout is [emoji]10084[/emoji]️
Welcome to TCS and congratulations on the new addition to your family!
Despite a few hiccups I think it sounds like Skout is doing well for being in her new home for only two days. A new home for a cat (especially for a kitten) is a BIG change.
Sounds like you are doing the right thing in keeping Skout in one room and then gradually giving her access once her confidence is up. Couple things that may help Skout adjust:

Go into her room, sit down on the floor and read out loud to her. Doesn't matter what you read...just do so in a soft voice.

When you or your fiancé are around her, try not to make sudden, quick movements.

Let Skout initiate pets and physical attention. She will but let physical affection be in her terms for now.

Try to initiate play with her with an interactive toy with a wand toy. And this is a daily routine to establish for the rest of her life. Interactive play is a great way to build and keep a close bond with your girl.

Again welcome and enjoy your new girl[emoji]10084[/emoji]️ Please keep us posted on how she is doing (and more photos [emoji]128522[/emoji])