First Pet,First Cat.

paras5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, So i am from Pakistan and i bought a ca on 21/Nov/2015 this is my first pet so i don't know most of the things. She is white color cat, The guy whom i bought it from told me it is Persian but i don't believe him ;), So her diet is cat food + Chicken Liver, Heart. She wont let me pick her and neither let me touch her legs, neither let me touch her belly ( i think belly thing is common), I was also thinking of homemade cat food, Because they are expensive. So she got big claws, even when she is trying to play she hurts me, i mean i was trying to teach her to eat from my hand and when she grabbed my hand her nails got into my skin or something like that, i was thinking of clipping them a bit by a guide but she wont let me touch her palms and attack every time.
Thanks in advance, Though it is my first post so i don't know what type of community it is since i am a 9gager i don't know if i am going to be criticised or something like that for it.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to the TCS! 

You had your cat for less than a week. You are not familiar with feline behavior so I suggest you read this link http://www.thecatsite.com/a/cat-behavior-for-beginners  

My cats are on both cooked (all meat, no additives or spices, not even salt) and raw diets. You can read more on what feed your kitty in the Cat Nutrition forum. 

By the way, what is your cat's name? 

lykakitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Welcome and congrats on your kitty! How old is she? I'd love to see pictures.
Definitely read up on feline behavior and nutrition. The nutrition forum is a really good place to get information on what to feed your cat. I give mine a high quality grain free dry food but there are a lot of options. It is a little pricey but a bag lasts quite a long time and it's so much better for them than cheaper foods. I don't know much about homemade cat food, though, so I can't help you there.
As far as behavior goes, you definitely need to give her some time to adjust. She's in a new home with new people and every cat needs a different amount of time to get used to that. Don't try to rush her into eating out of your hand or letting you touch her paws, both of which require a lot of trust on the part of the cat. If her scratching becomes a problem I recommend teaching her the command "claws" to let go of something she's clawing at, which is what my cats respond to. I taught them by first making a yelping/squealing sound like a hurt kitten when they used their claws on my hands, even if it didn't actually hurt, and ignore her for a few minutes. Don't even tell her no or anything, just ignore her. They'll react as they would if they were playing with a littermate who made that sound. It teaches them to use their teeth and claws gently. This is most effective with kittens but can be done with adult cats no problem, and you can do it with biting as well if she starts nipping. If she sticks herself to something with her claws (I affectionately call my cat Maya "Velcro Kitty" because if she doesn't want to move she hooks her claws to whatever she's on, usually a person or the couch) gently lift her away, hard enough to unstick her but not hard enough to hurt, and tell her "claws" (or whatever word you want to use) and put her somewhere else, usually the floor. Then give her lots of pets and loves and maybe a treat. She'll learn to pull her claws away when you tell her to. Just make sure to be consistent with it and ALWAYS give her something good once she's let go. NEVER yell at her or hit/push/swat at her for it. That'll only teach her to be afraid of you.
Good luck and feel free to message mw if you have any questions.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, how old is she? Has she been fixed? Vaccinated? Dewormed?

She may just be playing, but you don't need to train her to eat out of your hand. She may just be too excited!

And clipping her nails would be a great thing. Practice touching her paws and eventually she should feel more comfortable and relaxed. For now, when she gets too rough just walk away. Ignoring her is the best way to communicate that you don't like the behavior.