First Day

rmc3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Today I made my first batch of raw. Miss Maya went after hers like she hadn't been fed it weeks, and begged for more. She is the one that has cystitis and IBD, so I'm happy she likes it so much! The other two didn't show as much enthusiasm for it. It's probably partly my fault because in my eagerness to give them some I didn't warm it before giving to them. I did try again later, warming it, and Romeo ate more of it, but not barely half of the 3 ozs i gave him. I know I've seen some people sprinkle something on the food to get them more interested in it, what was it?

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is great that Miss Maya liked it! There are all sorts of different toppers you can use depending on the cat. Here are some that have worked on many cats: Parmesan cheese, bonito flakes, freeze-dried meats and organs, Fortiflora, crushed dry food, meat only baby food, etc.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rmc3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I thought about the parmesean cheese, but didn't know if that would be ok or not. I'll give that a try!

rmc3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh yeah, got any good ideas on getting the fish smell, from the oil capsules, off my hands?

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, don't get fish oil on your hands! LOL Are you using capsules? I find it easiest to pierce it with a push pin and squeeze it onto the food. Oh, and lemon juice usually works for stinky scents.

rmc3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah, I used the capsules. I cut open the end with scissors. Messy! I've never handled fish before (have never eaten it) so I didn't know the smell stuck!

Thanks for the tip :)

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I actually cut into the fish oil capsules at the seam with a paring knife.  Just sort of poke the knife end into the seam until I can feel it "give", then I know it will come pouring out with a little squeeze.  I do usually get just a little bit on ond of my fingertips, since I hold the capsule between my thumb and middle finger as I slice, then squeeze.  But once I wash my hands with soap and water, there is no more smell (or oily residue)  I use Krill Oil though.  Maybe that makes a difference?  Doubt it, but you never know.