First Cat / Kitten! Need Some Advice

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dankworth

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes definitely! Harness and leash whenever outside of the apartment. She is spooked whilst on streets, but in stores that aren't crowded she will explore on the leash! She's absolutely lovely.

Dankworth

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
:D Any recommendations on treats everyone? She likes Stella and Chewy's duck duck goose, but its still not like she goes crazy for it. I really want something that she salivates for. Tried some random treat bag too.. she really doesn't eat her dry food unless she's hungry.

Dankworth

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And daisyd daisyd I KNOW! I do shampoo her every other week or so :p

angels76

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My girlfriend and I just adopted an 8.5 week old kitten!
We live in an efficiency-sized apartment (meaning main room / bedroom, kitchen, laundry, entry and bath).

She's very shy and when we first put her down in the apartment she ran directly under the bed. We got her out a couple hours later and put her in the entry area about 6' x 4' with the litter tray, food water and her bed (blocked off by a big mat we have). She hid in her bed for a while but once I showed her the food she ate quite a bit (dry kitten food). She even used the litter box! We left her there for what we thought would be the night but she jumped the barrier, and ran directly under the bed. So for the night I just put her blanket where she was hiding and she seemed fine. This AM I pulled her out and put canned food with some dry food in her bowl and she ate about half the can's worth. After eating she ran back under. Should I get a better pen? Im afraid she's too nervous to go out from under the bed to the other room where the litter box and water is.

angels76

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's just scared of her surrounding. Keep her in a small area and be there with your girlfriend so she can get familiar with both of you. Relax. She will get used to both of you. Just show her love. Believe it or not that's what they want.

Dankworth

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah.. she is going on 13 weeks now! :p Doing much better.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:D Any recommendations on treats everyone? She likes Stella and Chewy's duck duck goose, but its still not like she goes crazy for it. I really want something that she salivates for. Tried some random treat bag too.. she really doesn't eat her dry food unless she's hungry.
Dreamies!!! It's like the advert : cats do anything for Dreamies. She even sits when you tell her to for one. Last night she managed to get inside the actual quilt cover when I was in bed and wouldnt get out - until I shock her Dreamies !

Dankworth

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was just trying to get her used to it; is it bad?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can cause skin irritation by stripping away the natural skin oils. Cats don't really need baths in general, so I would do it only when needed.

MoonRockyMistyMuffin

I love cats but I'm not lonely
Young Cat
Purraise
Don't rush her. She will need time to get comfortable living there. If she doesn't seem to go to the litter or food the first or second day, try putting her in the litter box, or putting both near her hiding spot, and move them when she gets used to the area.

Dankworth

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Its kitten shampooo at least; but okay!

Dankworth

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Don't rush her. She will need time to get comfortable living there. If she doesn't seem to go to the litter or food the first or second day, try putting her in the litter box, or putting both near her hiding spot, and move them when she gets used to the area.
Little late to the party here!

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well at least she is used to having a bath now ! I've never attempted it for fear of being scratched to pieces ! Plus pay so much for flea treatment don't want to wash it out that said she's loves walking up and down the bath when I'm in it and has accidentally fallen in !! You are doing very well and she seems very happy and settled ! :clap:

Dankworth

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
daisyd daisyd Yes she is fine with it now :p The flea treatment I give her says very specifically that after 4 hours (or some number of hours I'm not sure, < 12) bathing cannot effect it. Which surprised me! But I don't worry about it, because of that.