Firework Reaction, Any Suggestions?

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So, kitty's first 4th of July coming up. Well, I say first bit both were born just before the 4th last year and were kitten. Normally, I don't care much about the fireworks (They become repetitive after a while) but it's also my first in ab apartment where my balcony faces the city park that they shoot the fireworks from.

That said I don't know how Prince and Nikita will react and what, if anything, I should prepare for. I know that outside sounds make them curious, if not a little nervous. Though Prince, I've seen him in rain and thunderstorms and he doesn't mind. He likes to sit in front of the window and watch the rain. Nikita I've seen in one, and she didn't seem to hide.

Even today, they were cleaning the car ports. I came home realizing I forgot to open the blinds. Prince had his tail puffed and schedule Nikita was looking around. Once I opened the blinds, Prince got on his castle and seemed calm as he watched the cleaners below...Nikita walked around as though exploring and trying to find the source of the noise

Now fireworks, I assume are a different ball game. What do you think I should expect? I plan on being home, so that should ease any potential stress, if any shows up

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
You might want to have a calming product on hand, there are diffusers, treats, even collars...
I don't know, there's nothing that will drown out the thump of those big mortar rockets.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Some people feel that the thundershirts more commonly used on dogs for thunderstorms/firecrackers/general stress can also work with cats but I haven't had any experience of it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The lady at my neighborhood petco, whom I dub the catspert says the harnesses, if kept on too long, produces endorphins similar to the thunder shirt....and while harness training them, I did notice they were fairly calm...maybe I could put those on during the fireworks?

I know my street is very close to that park...

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Frankly what I'd do is go visiting with the cats somewhere far away. With that said, Petco carries calming products.

You'd probably have to put the harnesses on now, I'm not sure you want to do that. If a cat panics and the harness gets hung up on something in an inaccessible place like under a couch, things could get complicated...

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
The lady at my neighborhood petco, whom I dub the catspert says the harnesses, if kept on too long, produces endorphins similar to the thunder shirt....and while harness training them, I did notice they were fairly calm...maybe I could put those on during the fireworks?

I know my street is very close to that park...
If your harnesses are anything like mine, they pretty well cover the area the thundershirt does. I had considered putting them in their harnesses, relatively tightly but comfortable, if I needed to settle them. I should actually try it when I take them to the vet.
Furballsmom Furballsmom I don't think the harnesses I have would get caught on anything. They were made by a TCS member and are really good. Unfortunately I don't have a photo.

x-ta-z

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We used to turn up the TV or music on high and make sure the cats are with us. If they still freaked they usually hid under the bed to which I followed and spoke gently to them.
4 years on they don't care anymore unless someone uses fire crackers right in front of our door.

abbyemma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was worried too, for Emma’s first fireworks. She did not share the same feelings though.... she apparently likes to watch them! We did however have a nasty thunderstorm yesterday that she was NOT a fan of. I hope your kitty did well too!!
186AFB1D-EAA0-43D0-944D-CC9087363019.jpeg
B9849174-CB57-472E-9B87-59946BF7AC78.jpeg