Firefox Browser - Questions

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Whisky'sDad

My 2 favorite add-ons are Ad-Block and Hyperwords.

Ad-Block gets rid of 98.5% of advertisements and banners on webpages (even this one!)

Hyperwords allows you to right-click on a word and get translations. Or right-click on currency and get a conversion.

Pretty cool!
All this time I have used Firefox and I never bothered to check out the add-ons before. They are awesome! I love firefox. The Ad-Block is great! All the ads onthis site are gone which is cool.

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

All this time I have used Firefox and I never bothered to check out the add-ons before. They are awesome! I love firefox. The Ad-Block is great! All the ads onthis site are gone which is cool.
Where do you find that? I looked under tools and saw "add ons", but I didn't see anything that's been mentioned here!

Nevermind.....I searched "help" and found it!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

I see the glows just fine with Firefox.

I have my FF running a green cat theme
i don't see the glows or shadows w/Firefox, or Safari, but that's minor, IMO. i much prefer it to IE, & use it at school on the PC i use there. i have the red cats/blue theme on it.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

Okay...I'm almost convinced, lol!

Aileen...how would I continue to get my Windows updates with IE, if I'm using Firefox? Just open IE and manually do the downloads, or would the downloads automatically install, just like they normally do for IE? Sorry to be so stupid....
My computer gets the IE downloads, and then I get a little yellow shield in my toolbar, informing me that there are updates to install. I click on it, get the list, and install what I want.

I don't use automatic installation for any updates, because I've gotten some that just screwed everything up.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TigerOnTheProwl

I especially like the mouse gestures. By holding the right mouse button and moving the mouse in a certain direction you can tell Firefox what to do. Here's a couple I have found. RM (right mouse button) and up opens a new tab. RM and left goes back a page. RM and down opens a new window. RM and right is forward. And then there are a bunch of other combinations like RM and down then up then down duplicates the tab. There's so many different things you can to with mouse gestures.
Opera does this too. I have it disabled but DH loves it.

Originally Posted by Whisky'sDad

Ad-Block gets rid of 98.5% of advertisements and banners on webpages (even this one!)
I love it! I still prefer Opera but now I can use firefox for a few boards that have flashing ads. BTW does it stop the fly by ads?

Originally Posted by cata_mint

I love how i can drag favourite websites to my toolbar which makes them into links, which is really handy for things i use all the time.
How do you do that? I just tried and can't figure it out. I can on Opera though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

My computer gets the IE downloads, and then I get a little yellow shield in my toolbar, informing me that there are updates to install. I click on it, get the list, and install what I want.

I don't use automatic installation for any updates, because I've gotten some that just screwed everything up.
So, even with the Firefox browser, the yellow shield would show up in the toolbar? That would certainly make it easy enough to figure out! That's what I get now with IE.

aileen06

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

I do do the same thing. But if you use windows update you would have to open the IE browser for that. Aileen

errantrogue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You should also check out Greasemonkey and Flashblock, although ad-block may block flash. Greasemonkey lets you install user created scripts which alter how a webpage looks or behaves, I have one script that adds a google calendar link to evite. Flashblock replaces all the flash movies with a box and a play button, if you click the play button the flash runs. It really helps to get rid of some of the more annoying ads.