Fire in AZ

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It keeps getting worse. The fire is over 60,000 acres, now. Five more homes were lost today. Tonight, the flames were rivalling the fireworks.

Yesterday, high winds forced the Forest Service to pull their crews out. The choppers kept flying, though. The fire camp had to be moved, for safety reasons. They are setting backfires, to try to save the observatory and ranger station. Most of the radio and TV stations have their repeaters up there, too. Those of us with cable won't lose our TV signals, if they go.

The fear is that the rains will come, with a vengeance and cause major mudslides. These would endanger many neighborhoods and businesses, in the foothills. They were in the proces of stablizing the ground, from last year's fire, when this one was started.

cassandra_starr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh! I pray that something major happens and this fire can be put out as quickly as possible.

Do they know how it got started?

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
All that they are saying, as yet, is that it is human-caused. Whether that was arson, a campfire getting away or a smoldering cigarette, we don't know. They have been asking people, who were in the area that day, to call in with any bit of information: people that they saw, vehicles or suspicious activity.

The Mt. Lemmon homeonwners held their annual Fourth of July parade, at a park, here in town. Tents were set up, with donated items, for those displaced. Profits from concessions went to relief efforts.

Danny Glover is planning a benefit dinner, for next month. When he was here, making a movie, he fell in love with Summerhaven and wants to help. Several big-name musical acts are doing a concert, too. A lot of famous people have homes here. Paul McCartney has a big ranch, near the base of the mountains. Maybe, Linda Ronstadt will do something (not that she ever has). She was born and raised here.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is the view from my driveway, this afternoon. We can't see the whole range, from my house but, this is bad enough.

dougbug

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
im glad to hear you and your family is okay, i have been watching this on tv, and its horrible, i hope its under control soon keep safe.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yesterday, about 200 homes were issued a "strongly recommended" evacuation order. Loew's Ventana Canyon Resort is also being evacuated. This is some very pricy foothills real estate. The Sheriff's Dept. is going to step up patrols in the area, to discourage burglars.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, the fire is up to 86,000 acres and is 75% contained. The weatherman is predicting rain, Friday and Saturday. Instead of a huge cloud of smoke, there is a haze and a few isolated columns.

Hopefully, this thing will be beaten, by next week. The cleanup will take months or even years, though. The Feds have freed up money, to mulch and seed fast-germinating oat and barley, to stablize the soil. Otherwise, the foothills will be totally clogged with runoff dirt. Bill's company and every other one in town are gearing up to move tons of dirt, to prevent flooding in the valley. Fortunately our house and my parents' place are far enough away from the problem areas.

cassandra_starr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope they find out what person started this and deal with them appropriately.

It is sooo sad. I'll be happy to see it out and clean up start. Sending out more prayers to you guys and all the firefighters risking injury to fight this.

annabelle33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that picture is crazy, i can't imagine living that close.. I hope this ends very soon and that you and others are all safe..