Fire-cat Victim Rehabilitation Help

czygyny

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Northern California has suffered some terribly devastating wildfires that have left whole communities destroyed. Hundreds of cats perished but an amazing number of them survived. Many had seared ears and paws, long hair scorched short, whiskers burned off. I cried every day I witnessed yet another injured and now homeless cat pictured on the rescue sites.

I recently adopted one such feline who lost home and family. She was well under a year old when the Camp Fire hit Paradise in 2018, and subsequently spent the next year in various rescue groups, and finally in a shelter, hundreds of miles away.

She was deemed to be aggressive and withdrawn and as such, was considered nearly unadoptable and I was up for the challenge. I love calicos and torties and she was too beautiful to be left without a home.

I have made great strides with Pyrra in the three weeks she has been here. She has gone from terrified to allowing me to pet her, she has taken to sleeping on the bed with me instead of under it, she has met some of my other feline family with some success. So much for unadoptable!

However, since she has lived in a cage for her first formative year, she will not play. She will bat at things, and seem interested, but she will make no effort to get up and chase. I've tried laser lights, all manner of toys, and some success with my homemade chicken feather on fishing line toy. Still, she will make no effort to get up and move.

It seems to me she would be happier and less likely to be depressed if I could just get her to move around a bit. My other cats spend their days chasing butterflies and each other and climbing our fruit trees, and I know how important exercise is for our wellbeing, feline or human.

Any suggestions on how to get her more interested in getting up and moving, or should I just be patient and give her more time to to adjust and decompress?

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for taking this dear girl! I think you need to give her more time, it may be weeks or it might be months. With the trauma she has been through she may be far more stressed than she appears and just not feeling carefree enough to play. Staying still might also be a protective posture for her.

Maybe you can try some kind of a food puzzle where she needs to flip a lid or move a piece to get a treat. Food motivated cats love these and it does occupy them.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's made a lot of progress in 3 weeks, and been through a lot before so I wouldn't worry just yet.
I'd keep offering her any kind of toy you have or anything a cat might consider a toy. If possible, let her see the others playing and having fun because sometimes that alone gets them interested enough to join in and see what all the excitement is about :wave3:
(Another thing is I assume she's been cleared healthy by a vet, and doesn't have any residual lung damage from smoke inhalation that would make exercise or sudden busts of movement difficult for her.)

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, she will come around in time. She will watch how much fun the other cats in the family are having, and before you know it, she will out there enjoying the fun time too!!;) As you said, she is making progress, no more sleeping UNDER your bed.:). Patience is a virtue!

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She is beautiful! It sounds like she was on high alert for the whole time so is probably exhausted and happy to now be able to relax. If she was in a cage most of the time she might have to build up her muscles. It wonderful that she has you to give the much needed love.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

czygyny

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Of course I picked her because she was calico, having five other tortie/calico cats, but also the original video of her in the shelter showed that little spark of curiosity in the tilt of her head and the tentative playful paw...I just knew something special was still alive inside.

Now if I can just get her to switch her circadian rhythm around a bit so she doesnt want all her attention around 4am every day. <yawn>

We almost had to evacuate her last week because we had another fast-developing wildfire erupt that had us in its bullseye. I feared she would regress...so we refused to leave the property, because of the animals and because we are easily defended. Thankfully all ended well. We work hard to be fire safe.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My stepdad had 2 dogs who spent their first couple of years spent every day in a dog run and every night in the kitchen.m, no toys, no playing with humans at all! So when they came to live with him we tried everything to get them to play (nothing worked!) A year later they ran away and the (dumber) dog was found a week later. Krissie lived a long happy healthy life but she never learned to play. Maybe if a dog who knew how to play it would have turned out differently?

My point is accept her for who she is, hang some bird feeders (our reformed feral does not play but he hunts!) and just love on her.

Also I would work on training all my cats to get into a carrier so you can evacuate them quickly (Jackie escapes his soft carrier since he was a wee kitten. So I put him in his harness and carry him into the car. Just be sure to turn off the car before putting them in because the Rhine noise scares them. Jackie gets a weekly car ride to & from my mom’s house. Provided I remove all his food 3 hours ahead he is calm/cuddly/sleeping through the 30 minute drive. So reparation and driving to a good place will help make your cats more at ease next time you have to evacuate them.
:goodluck:

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I meant maybe if we had gotten another dog that knew how to play, perhaps Kristine would have learned how to play from another dogs I hope your kitties teach her how to play.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

czygyny

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some good points are made here. :yess:

Evacuation will always be a possibility for us in this fire-prone area. I think I will put one of the carriers in the closet for Pyrra to sleep in. In is one of her spots she likes to sleep.

Also showing her other cats at play is a good idea. I had Tori inside for awhile (Pyrra's look-alike) and made it a point to engage her in some feather chasing games in the bedroom, since Pyrra won't come out into the rest of the house, yet.

She watched Tori for some time until Tori tired of the game. FeO will be up for the game too I am sure, maybe even Aushio. It might help.