Fipronil for kittens?

duckdodgers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Trust me, if I could order a flea comb online I wouldn't be posting here about it.
Have you looked locally for something similar, but perhaps designed for humans?  There might not be anything available and marketed as such, but worth looking.

Just out of curiosity, where in South America do you live if you don't mind me asking? 

kir5tie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey, I've used a headline comb before when I've been desprite, just be very careful xx

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stealthkitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Some good news: it's not fleas. I started to suspect the problem was ear mites, so we took them to a different vet this morning. Turns out they had some type of ear infection. The vet cleaned out their ears and gave them a treatment, and told me to bring them back if they continue scratching. The vet we saw today carries Revolution and Capstar, and did a more thorough exam than the one we saw on Monday. Now I know which vet to use and which not.

Haven't found a flea comb yet, but I'll keep trying (for just in case). DuckDodgers, you are right about looking for one for humans. In two pet stores/vet clinics the people knew what we were asking about but said we'd have better luck looking for one that's for people. And to answer your question, I'm a US citizen living in Ecuador.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So glad you found a good vet. Hope the treatment stops the scratching. How are the kittens doing otherwise? Have you started them on raw yet?

stealthkitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The kittens are wonderful. The vet listened to their lungs and said they sounded just fine, and at home we see signs that they are growing more robust. They play more and more each day. (I think they were undernourished; when we got them they only weighed about a pound, but now they are gaining weight as they should.) We haven't started raw yet since I'm still trying to understand and organize a PMR diet for them, but we have bought meat and organs and put them in the freezer to kill potential parasites. So far, they've been eating cooked beef, chicken, and eggs, as well as canned food occasionally. Today we're going to offer them some raw meaty bones and see how it goes.

Their little personalities are really starting to shine. I'll probably be starting a thread about them soon, but right now I can say that Honey Pie is the braver, more outgoing one; and Tiramisu is more timid and sensitive (he trembled the whole time the vet examined him today, and when he was finally free he curled up in my arms, against my chest, and didn't want to leave). They are both equally affectionate and seek out attention; and they'll both curl up on me for a nap. Yes, I'll have to start a thread about them; otherwise I'll just go on and on about them right here.

Last edited:

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aww, that is so good to hear that they are bonding to you so well. They are both adorable. Can't wait to hear more about them.

duckdodgers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Some good news: it's not fleas. I started to suspect the problem was ear mites, so we took them to a different vet this morning. Turns out they had some type of ear infection. The vet cleaned out their ears and gave them a treatment, and told me to bring them back if they continue scratching. The vet we saw today carries Revolution and Capstar, and did a more thorough exam than the one we saw on Monday. Now I know which vet to use and which not.

Haven't found a flea comb yet, but I'll keep trying (for just in case). DuckDodgers, you are right about looking for one for humans. In two pet stores/vet clinics the people knew what we were asking about but said we'd have better luck looking for one that's for people. And to answer your question, I'm a US citizen living in Ecuador.
Ooh, I love Ecuador!  I spend awhile down there a couple of summers ago and it was fantastic.  I can't say that I wouldn't want to live there myself :)

stealthkitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OK, it's now been about 8 hours since they saw the vet. They are currently trying to sleep (in my lap, no less!) but keep waking up every few minutes to shake their heads, as if their ears were tickling. Is that normal after having their ears cleaned?