Fip

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

qtcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SnowFlakes

I am a breeder of Siamese and I have a guarantee of 72 hrs.If anything should happen to a kitten after it leaves here after that period I am not responsible for anything.Now in the future I could maybe replace the kitten at a discount price or give a free kitten but that would be the only options.I have never delt with FIP but I know it is extrememly bad to deal with when you breed.Basicly if you breed and a cat has or does have it I'd shut my cattery down!I take it very seriously as I do all feline diseases!I have never had a case of any major disease!I am lucky is all I can say and I do what everone does keep your cats indoors,keep them vaccinated and if you should bring other cats in quarantine them until they can be checked and cleared of all illnesses.I can very well understand if someone pays several hundred dollars for a kitten and it dies I'd be upset too and would think that the person you purchased it from may have to play a role in the outcome of what should be done but you should set time frames in a written agreement so you can protect yourself for unfortunate events.People can even file legal claims on this type of misfortunes.You may never know how the kitten got FIP but it doesnt sound like it was completely identified as FIP ither.You should be cautious with the cats it was in contact with as well while it was still in your home.FIP is very contageous and honestly you should hault breeding until you can determine medically that you present breeders are not infected or you can cause a vicious cycle of selling FIP positive cats over and over and signs of FIP may not even occur for years and they can still have it.I hate to sound firm but its a serious matter if indeed it was FIP.Keep us up to date I would like to hear more with this incident.Good luck!
I believe i stated in other posts the information you mentioned, there was a written health garantee, one week, the kitten began not doing well four months after having left my house, in that time period, it was at the vet clinic for routine stuff (shots neutering etc.) was also in a pet store and was also at my personal vet clinic before the kitten left my house (all possible places where coronavirus could have been picked up aside from my own household). As you have stated if you ever experienced FIP in your cats, is there some sort of test you have screened your adults with to confirm that they do not have FIP? If so please let me know, i would be more then happy to have my vet perform the same test. My cats are indoors only, vaccinated and go for yearly checkups (or more often if there is any issue **knock on wood i have never had an issue with our cats*) I was the person the kitten was purchased from, and there was a written health warranty signed and dated. There was not a post mortem done to say yes it definately was FIP however the kittens abdomen was severely distended, and fluid removed from the belly was exactly like I have seen pictures of online (at least from the written description from the vet who removed the fluid) so i would concur that the kitten had FIP. The other kittens from that litter are perfectly healthy, no issues there, (i checked up on all of them just to make sure just the other week) and my adult cats are also. FIP is not contagious, however the coronavirus that causes FIP is contagious. It would not surprise me if my adult cats at some point in time had come in contact with the corona virus, as twice in the last two years, i had taken in day old kittens (both times mother had been hit by a car) and I hand reared the kittens. As far as halting breeding, at this time we only have one female who is breeding, we had just in december gotten our other female cat fixed, and the female who is breeding had just been breed, it was probably only days before I was contacted and informed about the kitten with FIP, so there was no way to stop breeding. As far as after this litter, I am unsure if I will continue after this, it was not a pleasant thing to have to hear.

As far as an update on this matter goes, I have offered another kitten, but let them know as politely as was possible under the circumstances, that I would not be responsible for the vet bills incurred. They have not as of yet gotten back to me, I told them there was no rush, I would check in in a couple of weeks to see how things stood, they are adamant that their vet stated the kitten was ill when purchased, although the exact write up from their vet stated the kitten was "probably" ill when purchased, when i showed that information to my personal vet, he was very irate to say the least, as there was no way to determine when or where the kitten picked up the corona virus, my vet admitted that it is possible to even have picked it up from a clinic and well, we're not resloved yet unfortunately....... hopefully soon, next contract will have something specific about FIP however to avoid any such incidence in this next litter, and then after that I'm not sure, it is has been a very disheartening beginning to the year.......

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

qtcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by marsch21

Feline Enteric Coronavirus is very contagious. But the mutated form of the virus that causes FIP is not. FIP cannot be passed from cat to cat as the infected cat does not shed the mutated virus. Most cats that are exposed to FCV do not develop FIP.

In the case of overcrowding (or other stresses) to the point that the cats immune systems are compromised, can cause more instances of FIP in the cattery.

Here is a link too read: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Con...=2&SourceID=42

Dr. Meurs will be presenting a Educational Seminar on FIP at the Chicago GLACE show in March. The show coinsides with the International Ragdoll Congress. We'll be attending and I'm sure we'll be getting the most up to date information.
I would be personally very interested in any new information you may come across in March, please let me know.