Fip Treatment

bklyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

So I've posted before about one of my three needing help with a rib malformation, and luckily a year and a half later he is doing great. Sadly, my two girls (who are sisters) were recently diagnosed with the extremely dreaded FIP. The first to be symptomatic was at death's door with fluid in her chest cavity by the time of her diagnosis. I was devastated, and through a lot of searching, was able to get them started on an unapproved treatment called GS 441542. They are three weeks post diagnoses, and are doing extremely well with the strong potential of being fully cured once treatment ends. They will have their first follow up blood work next week, I am very lucky to have veterinarians who are willing to do the blood work, x-ray and ultrasound diagnostics needed as they go through this journey. Mind you, it's an incredibly expensive journey. I know a lot of us here know how deadly and heartbreaking FIP is. I also believe a lot of us know it's not all as uncommon as it's made to seem. The drug my girls are on were used by an extremely incredible researcher named Dr. Pedersen in US clinical trials to great effect, he has been studying FIP for decades and is continuing research at UC Davis. Unfortunately, the company that holds the patent for GS is not pursuing production at this time. We have been told there are a number of reasons for this, primarily that they are diverting it to human research at this time instead. Thus led to the development of this drug on the black market. Of course, this is a very complex issue, but there are now hundreds (possibly thousands) of people successfully treating their cats. Many veterinarians in the US have learned about this and directing patients to learn about GS so they can decide for themselves how to proceed, given how fatal FIP is.

Dr. Pedersen recently came out with his position on all of this, which I think summarizes the complexity well, and I encourage everyone to take a read. It's also a very valuable resource for shelters, rescues, breeders, veterinarians, and just about everyone. While certain cats are at higher risk of developing FIP, the reality is that anyone can have the misfortune of encountering it.

Updated information from Dr Niels Pedersen about GC376 and GS441524

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Just a reminder: Before starting any treatment please consult with your veterinarian.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you for the article. I hope these meds are successful in treating FIP in your girls.

There are a few other members, who I believe have either used GC/GS treatments or were at that time studying/contemplating it. Perhaps some of them will see your post and offer how things are going with their kitties that have been on these meds.

I will look for updates from you - hopefully with continued positive results!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bklyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you!! So far so good, girl #1's effusion has gone down and is doing great. Girl #2 (dry FIP) is behaviorally back to normal as well. I will have to see how their blood work progresses, and will update this thread. We're still early on in the treatment, but they've responded incredibly well so far. It's a long journey, and it will be 2 months until they complete treatment, and then months of monitoring them for signs of relapse after that - the chance of relapse decreases dramatically after three months. Right now, I'm just really, really grateful that my girls have a chance of surviving this ugly disease, and for now, they're back to their old selves.