Fip Symptoms

MRG

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
I was just at the vet today with my 19 month old cat, Remy. They have diagnosed him with FIP. He has a little bit of fluid around his tummy, he hasn't been acting or eating normally for about a month now, is very skinny, and doesn't play anymore.

Everything I have been reading about FIP says that it kills them very quickly. Remy's symptoms (not eating, sleeping all the time) have been going on for a few weeks now.

Do you think he could have FIP? Could it be something else?

DragonsNKitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We lost a cat to FIP last October. He declined over a period of about 3 weeks before we reached the point where we felt euthanasia was the kindest option. I'm sorry you're going through this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MRG

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Everything I read says that they die quickly, within day. He's been the same weight and eating about the same, acting the same for about a month. Makes me wonder if it's something else?

DragonsNKitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, most don't die within a day. It usually takes more than a day to diagnose. Mine started showing symptoms 2 weeks before he was hospitalized, and he was hospitalized for a week before we euthanized. His diagnosis was confirmed by sending off samples of his abdominal fluid and confirming that there was mutated coronavirus in it. FIP is a diagnosis of exclusion, so your vet *should* have already excluded all other possibilities before diagnosing. If you're not confident in the diagnosis, perhaps you could take him elsewhere for a second opinion?

Katty5499

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I am new to this site!!
I am just crushed last week my Simease Bay came up sick!
When I got her to the vet she was severely dehydrated, and running a fever.
She did not respond to fluids and meds.
Now beginning of new week negative for lukemia...
I am sitting here waiting on her final results of her blood work!
To see if it is fip!
I have read so much on line! I’m just sick....
Knowing that at any moment im about to lose my best friend!
Can someone think what else could be wrong with her?

Summercats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
K Katty5499
Hi,
Just seeing this, have been looking through old posts to find similar to my current kitty.
Did you get any answers? I would guess a virus. How is your cat now?