FIP confusion

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stellaarmani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just an update, Armani (dry FIP) is doing very well in all aspects (pooping, playing, eating). It's almost as if he was never sick. Stella (wet fip) is still eating, but she's eating smaller amounts and only eats wet food, does anyone know why this is? She's not playing at all but she still cuddles and goes to the litter box. Her tummy is still bloated, some days it looks like she's not bloated at all but then there are other days where she looks like a balloon. They're both on prednisone which I give to them every other day. Should I take Stella to the vet to get the fluid drained from her tummy? Would that make her more comfortable?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stellaarmani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know if I'm psychic or if this is just one of those weird coincidences but Stella passed away tonight. I miss her so much but i find comfort in knowing she is no longer suffering. Thank you all for helping me during this difficult journey.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh my gosh, I was just coming on here to make a comment when I saw your post that Stella was gone!   I'm SO sorry 

Take care of yourself and little  Armani.  You will need each other during this difficult time.    Again, my sympathies. 

Run free at the bridge, sweet
Stella

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know if I'm psychic or if this is just one of those weird coincidences but Stella passed away tonight. I miss her so much but i find comfort in knowing she is no longer suffering. Thank you all for helping me during this difficult journey.
So very sorry to hear, but true, no suffering for her now.

You were able to have her and love on her for weeks too, an added bonus despite the grim outcome.

Dry FIP is a slower progressing illness, there will be periods where he is acting just fine, and others where he reminds you he is not so fine, but this can go on for many months even, at some point when there are no more feeling fine periods, he will decline rapidly.

Laurinails

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted four little kittens three of them are doing fine one of them they suspect has FIP he was diagnosed a month ago. He developed an ulcer in one eye and plaque in the other and the vet doesn't really seem to want to do anything he said that the FIP test would be inconclusive so he didn't want to run it he also said it was a waste of money. Milo is no longer eating I've having to syringe feed him it's just so disheartening because the Vets here in Texas don't really want to do anything

Laurinails

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's been on all kinds of medication for the last couple of months when he was first diagnosed he had severe diarrhea and now he's on steroids for one eye antibiotics for the other I just want to know if they're in pain when they have FIP cuz the vet doesn't give me any real answers. He is extremely lethargic and sleeps a lot. He's not the playful little kitten he was and he's only 5 months old.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm sorry no one has responded yet to your query. Also sorry your Vet isn't being very helpful :hugs:

Do you happen to know how your Vet came up with the "diagnosis" of FIP? And did they suspect Wet or Dry FIP? Did they run any type of bloodwork? What were his symptoms other than the diarrhea and now the eye issues? Does he still have the diarrhea or has that gone away?

If they ran bloodwork, can you post a copy of it?

I don't honestly know if they experience a lot of pain or not with FIP...don't think I've ever read about that. Seems like they just kind of shut down. I don't think they do, but cats are masters of hiding pain :frown:

Laurinails

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No the vets exact words that the tests are inconclusive and a waste of money. But he is basing his dry ocular fip diagnosis on the fact that he has all but one symptom of the disease; cloudy eyes, weight loss, loss of appetite, low grade fever, and failing to grow. He is 5 months old and only weighs 2 lbs. He is half the size of his siblings.But we are taking him to a new vet on Wednesday and they are going to do blood work to start. I have all kind of research for her. So we are going to work together on what ever his diagnosis is.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hoping you can get some answers from the new Vet. It very well may be that he does have it, which would be dreadful, but at least if you have a Vet to work with, you can get some proper guidance.

fingers crossed that's not the issue.

:vibes::vibes::vibes: