FIP Cat in Remission Diet

TheCook12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello All,

I have a kitten who is about a year old, unfortunately in March he was misdiagnosed with IMHA and within four hours of euthanasia, after multiple hospital visits and rounds of blood work was finally diagnosed with FIP; by an amazing vet who squeezed us in the same day. We have completed the G's, and his final blood work is tomorrow! I've been managing a horse with EPM for over five years, there are a million dietary and environmental recommendations for these neurological horses. Now the question is, what do I do for my kitten?

I've asked the team of vets and rescue that I've been receiving the meds from, unfortunately they don't have any suggestions as far as supplements to support his immune system and general health. I'm having an issue accepting this as a person who has extensive nutrition experience in equines. I feel like I'm left in the dark regarding long term care. Due to him being a picky eater I haven't been able to get him to eat 100% raw. Currently, he gets a 50/50 mixture of N&D venison/pumpkin and freeze dried raw organs (balanced for his diet) with ultra oil. Most of it is rehydrated with turkey broth, the rest is put into puzzles feeders. Then I split one pouch of Tiki Cat velvet mousse AM/PM for extra moister.

What else can I do for him to prevent relapse or other immune/neurological conditions? This kitten has has a ridiculously hard start to life with multiple cases of pneumonia, URI's, and now FIP. He seems to be thriving currently, we are open to anything, budget isn't a concern. I just don't want to see him suffer again. Due to quality control and environmental concerns I'd like to stay away from Nestle Purina and corn/soy.

Thank You!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I've never heard of FIP requiring any type of special diet. And since he doesn't actually have IMHA, I'm guessing that since he's been through the course of the FIP treatment, the amemia has gone away? Even with anemia cats don't typically go on a special diet, it's usually treated with meds when possible. But in my humble opinion, feeding raw or homemade is the best nutrition for a cat as long as it's 100% nutritionally balanced for them, which can be tricky. Of course, there is always commercial frozen raw that is already 100% nutritionally complete, which is what I used to feed before I started prepping my own using a premix to make sure it was nutritionally complete. And as you already know, there is the freeze-dried. You said you are using turkey broth to rehydrate it? Are you making that yourself to make sure it has no onion or garlic in it, or buying it specifically made for cats?

Are you giving him a probiotic? I would do that to ensure good gut health, which should help with the immune system. And try to keep his stress down with plenty of play time, places for him to "escape" if he needs it, cat music, etc. Stress can be very bad on the immune system.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so very happy they now have treatment for FIP. I only wish it had come in time to save my Darcy, sweetest cat I've ever known.

I know someone who has some experience with FIP, and a rescue that has cured quite a few of them. I'll ask around see if I can find some information for you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TheCook12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've never heard of FIP requiring any type of special diet. And since he doesn't actually have IMHA, I'm guessing that since he's been through the course of the FIP treatment, the amemia has gone away? Even with anemia cats don't typically go on a special diet, it's usually treated with meds when possible. But in my humble opinion, feeding raw or homemade is the best nutrition for a cat as long as it's 100% nutritionally balanced for them, which can be tricky. Of course, there is always commercial frozen raw that is already 100% nutritionally complete, which is what I used to feed before I started prepping my own using a premix to make sure it was nutritionally complete. And as you already know, there is the freeze-dried. You said you are using turkey broth to rehydrate it? Are you making that yourself to make sure it has no onion or garlic in it, or buying it specifically made for cats?

Are you giving him a probiotic? I would do that to ensure good gut health, which should help with the immune system. And try to keep his stress down with plenty of play time, places for him to "escape" if he needs it, cat music, etc. Stress can be very bad on the immune system.
Thank you for your thoughtful reply! His anemia is resolved and his organ values are back to normal. By the time it was caught he began going into liver failure and his kidneys were rock hard.

I’m a big believer in food as the biggest component to health. I’m attempting to get him on a raw diet, unfortunately due to the situation where I got him they were fed cheap food, full of fillers. So he’s very picky on the brand of freeze dried raw I buy. I’ll have access to a lot of free organ meat this summer so I’ll try and slowly introduce those again, since they won’t hurt my wallet.

We are currently using Nacho turkey broth. I’ve bought others, this is by far his favorite. I don’t love the additives so I plan on making my own when I have access to the necessary ingredients. But absolutely no onion or garlic. I don’t have a probiotic for him. Any recommendations? As far as stress, thankfully he’s very confident, but we will be moving soon. I’ll make sure he’s set up for that in the best way possible.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TheCook12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so very happy they now have treatment for FIP. I only wish it had come in time to save my Darcy, sweetest cat I've ever known.

I know someone who has some experience with FIP, and a rescue that has cured quite a few of them. I'll ask around see if I can find some information for you.
I’m so sorry for your loss. It’s so challenging because the medicine is still hard to get. I can’t image how it felt to lose your sweet soul, Darcy. I hope there is a day that vets are able to prescribe it.

There is a wonderful rescue near me that supported me through this ordeal. These FIP cats hold a special place in my heart, once I’m more stable I’d love to help them foster these guys. They need all the help they can get.

From what both the vet and the rescue said a balanced diet is the most important. Which he is getting, but any supplements, certain proteins, or superfoods than can increase his odds at thriving would be great. I’m curious due to my experience with equines neurological issues and the vit/minerals/mushrooms/etc that help support them.

Thank you for taking the time to reply!

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you. Losing Darcy was devastating. One minute she was a happy kitty running around playing and the next she was sick and we tried very hard to find something to help her. We did keep her doing fairly well for a month or two, but there was no cure yet, so eventually we had to let her go. One of the hardest days of my life. FIP kitties hold a place in my heart and it makes me happy that so many of them are able to be cured. No kitten should have to go through that horrible disease.

For what it's worth, here is a reply from my sister's friend who has her own FIB kitty who was cured in February. She isn't a vet, but volunteers at a rescue where they've had several FIP kitties cured lately:

I had one of my own that was cured in February. And no diet changes are needed ..fip has nothing to do with the food ..I would watch ..the cats seem to gain weight quickly after being cured so if she does just put the kitten on a diet.

I'm sure others will have additional information to add. Good luck!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I don’t have a probiotic for him. Any recommendations? As far as stress, thankfully he’s very confident, but we will be moving soon. I’ll make sure he’s set up for that in the best way possible.

For probiotics, many of us use human probiotics. I would start with perhaps 1/4 capsule dissolved in a little warm water, then mixed into his food twice a day, then work your way up to 1/2 capsule twice a day. Just pull the capsule apart, pour a little out and put the capsule back together again.
Moving is always stressful for everyone involved, including the animals. This is where playing cat music and having hideaway places can be helpful. Keep us posted on how it goes.