FIP -- Can it be passed to a kitten months later after a cat passed away with it?????

strongd2121

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So about 3 months ago I had lost both of my cats to FIP (one Im not positive it was FIP but assuming since my 2nd cat passed from it)  and I swore i wasent going to get a new cat until I moved But I ran into this kitten I just couldnt deny. So I adopted him and brought the little monster home. I cleaned the majority of my carpets and both of my couches threw everything away from my old cats and wiped everything down with lysol that I could think of. But Ive been really stressing out that this little guys gonna get it from being in the same house as the other cats were. Now the parts of my carpet I didnt shampoo I vaccumed very well.

Has anyone had a cat pass away from FIP and then get a new kitten and everything be okay with the new cat? Or anyone get a new kitten months later and it be passed to them? Ive heard that the disease dies after 7 weeks but I dont always trust that and I figured Id ask to hopefully ease my mind. Because Its all Ive thought about the more and more I get attached to my new little monster.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry for your losses :(.

FIP, as such, is not contagious. The corona virus that can mutate into FIP is contagious. . .and almost all cats have been exposed to it. But it doesn't usually mutate into FIP, and they don't really know why or how it does, when it does :/. So just concentrate on keeping your boy healthy and stress-free.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

strongd2121

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
PHEW thats great to hear lol Ive heard so many different things about it so I wasent sure what to believe. And trust me theres no stress in this house for a cat, Hes quite spoiled :)

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Willowy is right on- the Coronavirus is contagious but it rarely morphs into FIP. 

To give an example, I had a litter of six who all become very illl with the coronavirus. All of them got better, and then three suddenly crashed and died. So, even in the same litter there is no consistency. 

Just enjoy every minute you have with your cute new little fur ball and don't worry about the "what-ifs." Even if your house was contaminated he's already there and nothing can be done about that. Just give him all the love and affection that you can! I'm sure he will be fine and sounds like a lucky boy that you chose him out of the millions of kittens needing homes!