FIP and Abby

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It was $40 for a teeny bottle. I wonder what the zithromycin will cost. I tried to talk her into going with the big guns to start, but she wouldn't.

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kas

It was $40 for a teeny bottle. I wonder what the zithromycin will cost. I tried to talk her into going with the big guns to start, but she wouldn't.
Your vet is probably trying to see if the kitty will respond to it before moving forward. We did try a couple of others before I insisted upon the Zithro. If I recall, the other antibiotics were 10 day doses. For the life of me I can't recall what the other antibiotics were but clavomax does sound familiar. The Zithro was really pricey as well. I believe back then it was in the $50 range but it was a 27 day dose so it does not seem as costly as the 10 day doses. Keeping Ramsey hydrated was my biggest challenge. His chronic high fever really dehydrated him and he had no appetite. I resorted to those nursing bottles to get liquid and nutrients into him. Chin up Kas. It can get better!

kas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, at least Abby is eating and drinking. We went to the vet for a recheck on her glaucoma. The good news is the pressure went from an average of 52 to an average of 34. Doc wants it in the 20's, but we are seeing some improvement there. On the downside, she saw some spots in Abby's left eye! Aaarrrgghhh! So now we are doing the prednisolone drops in that eye, as well. She has gotten all the paperwork ready to go to Dr. Legendre if he accepts Abby as a test subject. The PI will be free, but the monitoring tests are not going to be fun for Abbs! Bloodwork every month at about $250. But if it works, she will hopefully get to be an old lady!

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kas

Well, at least Abby is eating and drinking. We went to the vet for a recheck on her glaucoma. The good news is the pressure went from an average of 52 to an average of 34. Doc wants it in the 20's, but we are seeing some improvement there. On the downside, she saw some spots in Abby's left eye! Aaarrrgghhh! So now we are doing the prednisolone drops in that eye, as well. She has gotten all the paperwork ready to go to Dr. Legendre if he accepts Abby as a test subject. The PI will be free, but the monitoring tests are not going to be fun for Abbs! Bloodwork every month at about $250. But if it works, she will hopefully get to be an old lady!
She is loved
Hope it is working out for you.

kas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, Mike,

Abby is almost totally blind now. She feels her way up the stairs with her nose. She can see light and shadow, I think, and big shapes. She is still able to find her cat bed, her food dish, the litter box (thank God!) and her cat tower. We are still waiting for a response from the UTK lab on whether she has made it into the study. I almost think they are waiting until she is bad off to see if it will reverse the symptoms. They can't really be doing that, but I am sad and angry and feeling like lashing out right now. Every day she seems a little worse to me. She is still eating, but not as much as last week and now her fur is starting to look a tad greasy. Not much, but it wasn't greasy at all last week. Argh.