Finicky Teenager (7-8 month old kitten)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you call it katsuobushi? :tongue2: I can't imagine an Asian market not having bonito flakes, they're almost a staple. They probably just call them something different. They're also sold in pet stores as Kitty Kaviar.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you call it katsuobushi?
I can't imagine an Asian market not having bonito flakes, they're almost a staple. They probably just call them something different. They're also sold in pet stores as Kitty Kaviar.
 A Japanese market in particular should have it. The place I get mine is a tiny "convenience store" kinda of place and they not only carry it but they have a rather large selection.  I think calling it a "staple" is very accurate. If there is a Japanese market near you go by and look for something that looks like the product I posted a link to. You can also try calling again but ask for "dried fish flakes". 

Kitty Kavier will cost a lot more but may be easier for you to find.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where do you 2 live? I'm in Nashville (TN) & while it's a fairly large urban area, there are no Japanese only markets.

I did call it Katsuobushi as well as Bonito flakes. I also just said dried fish flakes... The guy just said we don't carry anything like that. I do know that the larger and supposedly more diverse of the stores i called caters to Thai shoppers. I read it online. I don't know if that means they carry mostly thai food, or they just have a wide selection of Thai food.

EDIT I also tried Petsmart w/o any luck. I didn't call it kitty caviar but the lady showed me tje dried fish treats they had and they didn't have it.

Last edited:

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where do you 2 live? I'm in Nashville (TN) & while it's a fairly large urban area, there are no Japanese only markets.

I did call it Katsuobushi as well as Bonito flakes. I also just said dried fish flakes... The guy just said we don't carry anything like that. I do know that the larger and supposedly more diverse of the stores i called caters to Thai shoppers. I read it online. I don't know if that means they carry mostly thai food, or they just have a wide selection of Thai food.

EDIT I also tried Petsmart w/o any luck. I didn't call it kitty caviar but the lady showed me tje dried fish treats they had and they didn't have it.
I'm in Houston. We have a large Asian population but so many people living elsewhere have posted that they we able to find them in local Asian markets that I got the idea that they were pretty easy to find. Maybe not. That's a real bummer cuz most, but not all, cats go crazy for them. I'm surprised you can't even find Kitty Kavier. Have you tried a pet specialty store?

If you buy it online be sure you don't pay much for shipping because they are light as a feather. The large bags I get only weight 3.5 oz (and cost $7.89).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's why I was trying to buy them locally. I read the reviews for that 3.5oz pack on Amazon & half of them commented on the price. I will go into a few of the stores I called to be sure.