Finicky cat with kidney stone

sarmcl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
 I have an 8 year old female cat who had kidney infection 3 months ago. That has cleared up but now has been diagnosed with a kidney stone. Urine test came back fine but creatinine in blood elevated which led them to do xray and finding stone

Vet has put her on special Royal Canin dry diet(which she seems to like but her brother hates) and gave some prescription wet food. Here are the issues:

* She will NOT eat the prescription wet. I have tried 3 different varieties(one Royal Canin and 2 diff Purina ones) .She wants her Friskies and will not stop meowing until she gets it. The vet said it could mess up her PH levels but her eating the prescription dry and the "normal" wet food but I dont know what the heck to do. She WONT eat the specialty stuff.  This is a cat who would never touch wet food until she came down with the kidney infection and now loves it.  She lost almost 3 pounds when she had the kidney infection and now has regained about 2 pounds. 

*She leans more towards pate style wet food. Has anyone tried other brands that are for kidney stone issues and have had success(like Hills?). And trust me I have tried every trick in the book to get her to eat this stuff(catnip, tuna water, etc).  This stuff is expensive and I have spent so much money the last 4 months I do not want to waste food she wont touch

HELP!!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try the Hill's - it can't hurt, and she might go for it. See if the vet will give (or sell) you a sample can to try, or if you can return unopened cans if she rejects it. My vets did this for me when my dog was sick....and it saved me a fortune!

Which prescription diet is it - urinary or kidneys? We'll be able to make suggestions if we know that kind of diet were looking for ;)

Last edited:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hills c/d comes in paté form, which may be more to her liking. I notice that Blue Buffalo have brought out a prescription range now too. This is a link to their urinary wet food. Royal Canin also do a pate version of their urinary wet.

If she really doesn't like the prescription foods, talk to your vet about trying her with a DL-methionine supplement instead. It's the urine acidifier that's in the prescription foods. However, only use this under veterinary supervision. Too much can cause calcium oxalate crystals to form, and these are far harder to treat than struvite crystals (which, being more common, I'm guessing was her original issue). You may need to regularly test her urine pH while you fine tune the dosage, but that's not that big of a deal.[article="29715"][/article]

Last edited: