finicky cat with calcium oxalate crystals - need food suggestions to try

serval

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

My 10yr old cat Charlie recently had a blockage and had surgery for what has turned out to be calcium oxalate crystals.

He had been on Royal Canin SO diet since my other cat (now passed) had struvite crystals.  

Vet is recommending switching to an all canned diet, but apparently Charlie dislikes Fancy Feast.  I've been trying the classic type since it seems to be grain free.  

He has been losing weight since he is just not eating enough of it and I've had to supplement with dry food just to keep his weight up.  Vet said I might try Hill's SO canned

and dry if absolutely necessary, but some kind of wet food is best.

Please any suggestions for canned food suitable for preventing stones that I can try is appreciated.  Maybe I can find one he will eat!  I'll be picking up some from PetSmart tomorrow to try but would like to know what you have had best luck with.

Thanks!!

Erin

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If your kitty is a kibble addict here is an article on transitioning to wet food http://www.thecatsite.com/a/transit...-to-a-new-type-of-food-canned-raw-or-homemade

http://www.petmd.com/blogs/nutritio...bruary/effects-diet-bladder-stones-cats-32525   has some dos and don'ts for diet.  You will probably want to avoid foods marked as urinary health.  Most probably have an acidifier in them for struvite crystals which is the opposite issue from what your kitty has.  You want to avoid a food that has dl-methionine in.  That is the most common urine acidifier that is added to foods.  Some foods that aren't marked as urinary health has it.  Beyond that it really is trial and error to find what your kitty will eat.  If it is a matter of your kitty being a kibble addict than you may need to transition him even though that means continuing to eat dry kibble for a while.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

serval

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the links, Denice.  Hopefully I can get him to transition to canned food this way.  I wonder what would be the best kibble to eat in the meantime though, since the SO is acidifying!  I'm currently feeding him 1/4 cup of the SO kibble and then whatever he will eat of the canned.