Finally Trapped My Feral - Then Let Her Go! Should I Re-trap?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just an update to let you all know that things are still progressing - she is eating closer to me now. I am going very slowly so as not to scare her. She is definitely less fearful, but I can't touch her yet. She sleeps in her box every night even though it is no longer cold.

Ladysnuggable, congratulations on Church! I hope Apple does as well when I get her inside!

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There is another feral coming around her turf (which is in front of my doorway). I wasn't ready to bring her in yet (she still won't let me touch her), but I may have to. I am afraid the new cat will scare her away. It is definitely dominant, as she runs when she sees it.

I am so stressed and I feel guilty for not feeding the other feral, but this is her turf and I don't want anyone scaring her away.
Apple.JPG

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That is a good idea. Not sure I want him growing dependent on me, though, since I am moving in a few months. 1-bedroom apartment with 3 cats and a feral - I can't take in another. I am sure I will end up feeding him, though, because I can't turn my back to a cat. I didn't see him last night.

I live in an apartment, though, so maybe if I start feeding him, it will tame him and others can continue to feed him after I move?

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a tricky situation. Because if you feed him for the next month, he will become dependent on you, and it will be much harder for him when you leave. As much as it breaks my heart to say it, unless you can find someone to continue to care for him after you move, it's better not to get involved with him.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Msaimee, that is what I was thinking. You made me feel better, because it helps to know I am not alone in thinking that is what would be best. I don't even have my little feral inside yet, I just can't start with another one just when she is getting comfortable. Fortunately, I have not seen him again. For what it's worth, he did look quite healthy.

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, I wouldn’t worry too much. If he looked fed, and he appears that way in pic, probably a male just “making the rounds”. All ferals are “ opportunistic “. That’s how they survive. Just keep working towards the goal.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you, Trudy, I appreciate that! Actually, the pic is of my sweet feral that I started this thread about. Months ago, she wouldn't even eat with me in eyesight. Now she will eat a few feet away from me sitting with her.

Yeah, the other feral looked healthy.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The sad fact is that we can't save or even help all of the feral cats who come our way. When a new feral cat comes through my block, I don't become involved with it unless I intend to make a definite commitment which involves trapping, neutering, and being a caregiver for him for the long haul. There have been cats who have come and gone on my block. I trust they have another caregiver, because none of them look skinny or ill. When I make a commitment to a feral or stray, I am in it long term. We can only do what we can do, and getting a feral dependent on us for food without being able to assume long-term care for it is not helping the feral.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My sweet feral still won't let me touch her, although she still eats her meals near me and meows when she sees me. I am getting anxious to get her inside, there are some trashy residents that have been moving into the building, and a rather large obnoxious dog. I don't want to traumatize her again, but I want her safe.

What should I do? Give it more time? Trap her and get her into her safe room?

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you say you're moving in a few months? Best to get her inside and socialized now. I don't recall whether you said if she's spayed, but if not, set the appointment and when you trap her, take her directly to the vet. It's easier than trying to trap her twice.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She's already been spayed, thank goodness. Yes, I am moving in a few months. I was hoping to get her inside without trapping her, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen soon, and you are right, I need to get her socialized. I will re-trap her this weekend. :whiskers: