Finally, photos of my Smudge!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by turtlecat

Aww have you noticed any deafness? there's a somewhat supported myth that odd eyed cats (oddly, not including the turkish van) are deaf in one ear (the ear on the side of the blue eye).
No, actually we haven't noticed any deafness. He RUNS when I pop open a can of food! I have heard that the black spot on top helps protect from the deafness. I've also heard that he might lose that spot. If that happens, people will sure wonder why his name is Smudge!

We had 8 kittens born in April, and weren't going to keep any - but my hubby had an odd-eyed white cat when we met, and for years after that she was my baby, so of course we had to keep him. (And he's got his blue eye on the same side as the first odd-eyed cat we had!)

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

LOL! Speaking of which, do you have any other photos of Ari other than the one in your siggy?
I've borrowed my sister's digital camera - now I have to get him to sit still!

cjandbilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Take away the smudge, and you have Annie and CJ! LOL! He's a cutie... love that skunk mark!
CJ and Annie are odd eyed, too! CJ had a smudge when she was a little kitty, too, however, it wasn't as big as Smudge's mark. Hers went away at about 9 - 10 months of age. Since she had that smudge, she wasn't afflicted by any deafness.

See her smudge? I loved it, but I wasn't upset when it went away.

Here's one when it went away.

Annie, however didn't have a smudge. She's deaf, too.

Attachment below....

Never know! Smudge might keep that smudge!

Cassie

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, Annie is SO cute. I'm surprised she totally deaf, but it's that neural crest thing I guess.

So, in CJs photo, there's something going on with the fur around her eyes. Smudge has kind of the same thing going on. What was the deal with that? Smudge has a watery eye, but total water, no mucous at all, but then it gets the skin/fur area inflamed...is that what happened with CJ?

cjandbilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We took CJ to the vet for that once... her eyes kept getting gunky and sometimes infected. The vet said it's a form of herpes. Non contagious to humans, and non harmful at all to cats... it just causes an eye infection now and then, and all I had to do was keep it clean. It's possible Smudge has some sort of that too. Is it sort of on and off? Every get gunky? If so, he probably has the same as CJ, Billy, Annie, Biffy, and even Belle had it. No big deal, just when it starts to show, keep the eyes clean with a cotton ball and warm water.

Cassie

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never gunky - sometime sneezy fits, and shakes his ears. We're leaning toward allergies.

cjandbilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Never gunky - sometime sneezy fits, and shakes his ears. We're leaning toward allergies.
CJ never did anything like that. You're probably right.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CJandBilly

We took CJ to the vet for that once... her eyes kept getting gunky and sometimes infected. The vet said it's a form of herpes. Non contagious to humans, and non harmful at all to cats... it just causes an eye infection now and then, and all I had to do was keep it clean. It's possible Smudge has some sort of that too. Is it sort of on and off? Every get gunky? If so, he probably has the same as CJ, Billy, Annie, Biffy, and even Belle had it. No big deal, just when it starts to show, keep the eyes clean with a cotton ball and warm water.

Cassie
Pixel has herpes, too. the vet told me to give her a lysine supplement during breakouts, & it works really well.
oh, & Smudge is looking really handsome. i think if he loses the smudge, you'll have something to tell people when they ask his name!