Finally Found Trustworthy Petsitter(s)

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So, many know I got married last weekend. Leading up to it, Tom and I were very concerned about who was going to watch out two kitties. Since we got the 2nd cat, more than several years ago, we have not been on a proper vacation at all. Plus a few weeks back I learned of a very sad story from someone I follow who had one of her cats pass away while she was on vacation. Had hired a professional sitter from a well known local company and well, he dropped the ball and something terrible happened. So this became my greater fear. I wanted someone who we know well, and we weren't about to board them since there aren't very good facilities in my area (even our vet's boarding is dismal looking for cats).

We interviewed one sitter but wasn't overly impressed. We felt he wouldn't give quite the amount of attention our cats need since Casper has kidney disease. His appetite at times is poor, and he sometimes throws up rather unpredictably of course.

Tom suggested his two "besties", who he met at college, to watch them. Young women, in their early 20's. I met them some weeks back and was quite impressed with both of them (they are a couple). Both of them still live at home and we offered them our home for the 2 nights we intended to be gone, with pay of course, so that they could actually be home with the cats.

Well, it could not have gone better. The girl who was mostly in charge grew up with cats so she was quite well versed in their care. She understood about Casper's eating problems, and potential barfing and didn't seem too fazed. She understood that Cocoa might not want to be handled too much at first but once she got comfortable would be fine. Her partner, never had a cat but was interested in learning about them - she's quite the intellectual so from a behavioral standpoint she was fascinated by the prospect of a couple of days of hanging out analyzing them LOL.

We got a few updates while away, photos of the kitties obviously enjoying their company. The cats even slept with them! It doesn't get any better. Everything went great, they were very careful about making sure they weren't near by the door when coming and going, and enjoyed staying in our home as it was almost like a small vacation for them too. They were clean as can be, made the bed before leaving, wrapped up their garbage, cleaned up the kitchen. Seriously, mature behavior from them.

Best was the girl who never had a cat said she now wants one! :wow:

We were both so relieved and happy it worked out for all of us, cats included. Perhaps we can now plan a longer trip for the future, knowing we have 2 very competent people to watch Casper and Cocoabean :)

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
That's awesome news, so glad you waited to find the right pet sitter for Casper and Cocoabean. :thumbsup: Definitely have to plan the next trip knowing you can rest assured your cats are in good hands.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I am so glad you found people you can trust. It's so important to be able to go away and know that your furkids are in going to be OK!

We're lucky with our petsitters, too. And my sister and BIL come in every night for about an hour or so when we're gone. They don't have to feed (petsitter takes care of that); they just come in, watch tv for an hour or so and let the cats flop in their laps and cuddle a bit. They'll walk through the house, check out the basement and the pool, and just generally make sure everything is OK.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I finally break down and have my knee surgery I plan on asking my neighbor to come over and feed my ferals, birds and squirrels. She dog sits for a couple dogs now and I trust her completely when it comes to animals. I could ask my sister but I seem to get "attitude" from her when I ask her to do something. She lives right behind me. I'll be in rehab for a long time so I guess it will cost me a fortune. I have no idea how much dog sitters get.

Muffy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I finally break down and have my knee surgery I plan on asking my neighbor to come over and feed my ferals, birds and squirrels. She dog sits for a couple dogs now and I trust her completely when it comes to animals. I could ask my sister but I seem to get "attitude" from her when I ask her to do something. She lives right behind me. I'll be in rehab for a long time so I guess it will cost me a fortune. I have no idea how much dog sitters get.

Muffy
First, I hear you about the knee surgery. I also have problems, 3 injuries, 3 surgical cleanouts but now arthritis has set in so, yea that's down the road for me too.
The going rate is about $20 per visit where I live. Some per pet, some not. So that would add to at least $40 a day. It's is a lot of money if you need someone daily for a week or more! We paid our friend $50 per day, and she was staying at the house. Staying was a perk for her, and much better overall for the cats and for our sanity. It was good to know that someone was at the house most of the time while we were gone. Ideally, I would do it this way again.
I hope you're able to find someone trustworthy once you make the decision to have surgery. You certainly will need the help for at least a week afterwards.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
The going rate is about $20 per visit where I live. Some per pet, some not. So that would add to at least $40 a day. It's is a lot of money if you need someone daily for a week or more! We paid our friend $50 per day, and she was staying at the house. Staying was a perk for her, and much better overall for the cats and for our sanity. It was good to know that someone was at the house most of the time while we were gone. Ideally, I would do it this way again.
I couldn't agree more. Our pet sitter charges $16 p/visit and she is worth her weight in gold. We have used her ever since we had our dog and Neely. She doesn't charge extra to medicate either. Some sitters will charge an extra fee to give medication(s). Just having peace of mind when you leave your pets is a big comfort.