Fighting

frost1375

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was having problems with my new kitten and my older cat getting along. The kitten is now 6 months old and the old cat is just about 19 years old. I've had the kitten since July and since we brought him in the house, he's been harrassing my older cat. My old cat will scream, hiss, growl, try to get away, and the kitten keeps bothering him. I do everything to try to distract the kitten away from him. I tried pheremone diffusers and spraying him with water. Nothing is working. He is constantly trying to bother the old cat. He sort of jumps on his back and stuff. I'm assuming he just wants to play, but you would think the kitten will get a hint that the old guy doesn't want to play! I guess my question is if anyone has any advice for me. The old cat is so angry that he just walks around the house growling, even when he doesn't even see the kitten. He hates his new life and it upsets me. Is there any way to train the kitten or anything else I can do? There's no way to separate the two cats either. Unless I find a new home for the kitten, which I refuse to do unless there is nothing else I can do. I figured by now they will be okay with each other.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A solution which often works in such situations is to get a third cat. A sociale cat who like to play and have a merry companion. In this way, the two youngsters will hopefully find each other, and not bother the senior.

And the senior, not pestered any more, will accept them and be friendly of sorts.

Of course, when you take this nr 3, you should have some sort of plan B for him: if it doesnt work out, he can go back.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with getting another young cat. The baby doens't understand why his "litter mate" won't play with him. And I understand your distress over your senior cat, the stress is not good from him.

I wouldn't be thinking about what to do in case it doesn't work out, though. It almost always takes time for cats to get used to each other, though your local shelter usually knows their cats pretty well and can probably point you to a few who are social and active. But you don't want to go in with the mindset that if this doesn't solve the problem in one week she's going back. It might take more than one week, several weeks even.

Is the younger boy neutered yet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

frost1375

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As much as I would love to get another cat, it is not possible. Not only do I have the two current cats, I have two dogs, two rabbits, and 3 guinea pigs. I'm still living at home with my parents and they already didn't want me to have this new kitten. He is already neutered. He was a feral cat who I was fostering/taming. I fell in love with him so I decided to keep him. He is just so active and crazy. I know it's because he's a kitten, but he's insane! I feel so bad that none of the other pets want to play with him, but that's why I try to play with him as much as I can. But, I feel even worse for my older cat because he was the first one in the family, and now he's being harrassed. I love them both and I'm not one of those people to give up a pet. I've never done it and I would be heartbroken if I had to do so. Also, because this kitten is so wild, I feel like no one would want him as a pet. I wish there was a way to get him to understand that he needs to stay away from the older cat. Cats are smart, so I don't know why he hasn't learned to stay away. It's very stressful for me when I hear my older cat screaming many times during the day. It's heartbreaking for me to hear that.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by frost1375

Also, because this kitten is so wild, I feel like no one would want him as a pet.
And yet, this is the main part why young cats are so loveable and cute to have.... These merry stampedes and gallopps, them so filled with life....

Of course, he is now an teenager, although with reduced hormone halts as he is already neutered. Being a teenager he is twice so wild...

Perhaps the trick is to find someone who would have love to have such a lively teenager cat...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

frost1375

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just assumed that now he is a little older, he should be a little less crazy. Is it true that he's more active because he's a teenager? Will he calm down at all with age? I don't remember any of my previous cats being this wild. I had just assumed its because he is a feral cat.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Every cat is different. I've had kittens who are *so* calm & some who I want to kill because they're so crazy! I guess, IMO, it doesn't matter if they were born feral or domestic housecats..... In another year or so, he might have calmed down....but it's a matter of time.

I'd play interactively with the kitten several times a day, perhaps invest in Da Bird to play with him. Is there any way to create a "sanctuary" for your older kitty?