Fighting Or Playing?

ckrizzy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I wanted to get your opinion on if this behaviour was fighting or playing or both? I have a video but I can't seem to upload it. Any tips on that??

For context - my cat (Scooter, male, 1.5 years) and my neighbour's cat (Edward, male, 1.5 years) know each other and will soon be living together. I want to make sure they won't kill each other. Mostly, it's Scooter that is the one that plays way too rough. Here's what I've observed:
- Scooter is typically the one that jumps on Edward, though occasionally Edward jumps on Scooter. This happens when Edward visits my apartment. When they're outside they don't fight quite as much, they more run around together.
- They roll around together and will often use their back legs to continuously pound each other in the head, like a bunny rabbit
- Their ears are a bit back but not completely. Their tails are whipping around.
- They can be in the same room together without play fighting/fighting, but usually Scooter goes for Edward
- When they play fight, Scooter typically has his claws out (I think this is because he's poorly socialized, not because he really wants to hurt Edward, though I don't know)
- Sometimes Edward will screech and very occasionally hiss at Scooter. Scooter never screeches or hisses.

Any thoughts on their relationship? I split them up by making a loud noise when Edward screeches. I don't want them to hate each other when they live together. I don't know how to teach my cat not to play with his claws.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
They are definitely playing together. It can get pretty rough but cats truly fighting are much much louder and will bite and pull each other’s fur out. Take a look at videos on YouTube of cats fighting and you will easily see the difference.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ckrizzy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They are definitely playing together. It can get pretty rough but cats truly fighting are much much louder and will bite and pull each other’s fur out. Take a look at videos on YouTube of cats fighting and you will easily see the difference.
Thank you for your reply!!

They do sometimes pull each other's fur out. And there is sometimes growling (only from Edward). I do think they're playing for the most part but I think Scooter is just too rough with Edward...

Is it normal for there to be sometimes screeches, growls, or hisses in the midst of playing? Will they figure it out or is it not a good idea for them to live together?

Kefa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The question is how do they behave when not fighting? Do they ever touch noses? What position are their tails in when the are in a room together? How close will they lay down together? Do they ever groom each other? Will they eat together in your apartment? What happens when Scooter visits Edward's house? Scooter might be telling Edward that it is HIS apartment and that is why it is rougher indoors.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, and just like kids roughhousing sometimes one or the other gets too rough or the better of the other and a play sessions turns into a bit of a real fight. But they break up and after tempers cool remain friends.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ckrizzy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The question is how do they behave when not fighting? Do they ever touch noses? What position are their tails in when the are in a room together? How close will they lay down together? Do they ever groom each other? Will they eat together in your apartment? What happens when Scooter visits Edward's house? Scooter might be telling Edward that it is HIS apartment and that is why it is rougher indoors.
When they're actually rolling around their tails don't seem to do anything notable. When they split up and kind of look at each other their tails whip around. They touch noses as a greeting sometimes but not when they're fighting. They don't really groom each other but I've seen a lick for a split second here and there. Scooter doesn't visit Edward's house so it could be a territorial thing. Hopefully that will diminish if Scooter moves to Edward's house.

I got two Feliway diffusers for the move, as well as calming treats!

Thank you again for the opinions. It seems like yes, they are playing and sometimes things just get too rough. Hopefully they'll figure that out and not drive each other bonkers.