Fiesty Pregnant Cat

lissi2u

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone, I took in a pregnant mom a month ago who was going to be put to sleep. She is a sweetheart but lately she's chasing my other two cats around and the hissing is crazy! No one has been hurt but I'm wondering if this is normal. My other girls were spayed as babies and no other fosters I've helped had this issue. Granted this is my first pregnant cat. She's starting to really fill out now, looks like she swallowed an orange in her lower belly. She also started losing hair around her nipples but not tons. She is medium hair so extra fluffy on her belly. Any ideas??? Thanks in advance for the help.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She doesn't need to meet your resident cats, pregnant cats don't always want to be around others especially as they get closer to their due date. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lissi2u

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Got it thanks!! I'll try to keep her in a different part of the house. I'm not sure how far along she is but I think she's got about two weeks to go.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Some got friendlier and friendlier.  If she was already good friends with your cats, she perhaps wants them to be near.

But some wants to be alone. Especielly if they are not on best friends terms with the others.

So this aggresivity nearing the outcome is fairly common. It happens even the owner can get gets some smack, not always with soft paw.

So although not pleasant for the owners pride and skin, it is not unnatural!

As she so clearly shows she wants to be alone cat, the remedy is easy to advice: let her be for herself.  Let her be in her own room. Undisturbed and non stressed.

That is btw a standard advice, unless they clearly asks to have company of their cat friend.

The most probable is she will although want to have your company when her time comes. Or at least, accept it.

She doesnt seem "swollen" yet, but perhaps she has a small litter.

ps.  dont get ideas to go to the vet and take x-rays to know for sure how many there is. x-rays here not good.  IF you really do need want to know, the vet shall use ultra sound. Or feel out herself with "palpation", ie feeling out with fingers.

Good luck!

lissi2u

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi StefanZ, Thank you so much for the input. I do not need to know the number of kittens and I am not going to be taking her for xrays b/c I do not want her or the kittens affected. She is VERY friendly to me and the kids and sometimes doesn't mind the other girls. Although she started as a "foster" cat, I am planning on keeping her if the fiesty behavior diminishes after she has the kittens. I'm working on finding good people who want a cat for life as possible families b/c I do not want them in a shelter to later be put down. She was bone skinny when I got her so it's good that we can no longer see the ribs or feel them when we pet her. Thanks again for the advice!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seems vets in the US will xray pregnant cats, while other countries don't do that and use ultrasound scans instead so I'm glad you're aware of the risks of xraying a pregnant cat.

She may not calm down after having kittens, but after spaying she should. Great you've got her in better condition, do you foster through a rescue that helps with placing kittens? They should also go neutered, vaccinated and microchipped there are some low cost options if you're fostering on your own.

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Got it thanks!! I'll try to keep her in a different part of the house. I'm not sure how far along she is but I think she's got about two weeks to go.
Van you feel the kittens moving? Usually if you can your within 2 weeks of delivery. Not the most accurate measure but it can help to at least narrow it down. 

Good for you for rescuing her! Once the kittens are older try slowly introducing her to your resident cats- she may be more willing to get to know them then. As others said it's not at all uncommon for pregnant cats not to want to be around other cats. 

When looking for prospective owners I like to look at the applications that no kill shelters use to adopt out there animals. It will help you decide what kinds of questions you need to ask so you can make sure you find the right home for them!

lissi2u

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all! Yes I have felt little movements especially when she layed on top of me this past weekend. She is becoming more of a shadow with me especially these days which I love and is doing better with my two other girls. I do let her out once I'm home for a while and no chasing the girls. Earlier she was "talking" with Sophie and of course the camera was dead. No hissing just some concerned meowing. It was rather funny. I've helped rescue several kittens from high kill shelter and it's been a very rewarding experience for me and the kids. I did find an accident today though which has not happened before. The litter box was clean with only a little urine and she has not had issues before so not sure if this is a possible issue with pregnant moms too. I do appreciate all of your feedback and love my girls, this one included, so much it's like having extra children. If she gets along with my girls after the kittens arrive I'll be keeping her and taking her to get spayed asap. Even though she will only be an indoor kitty, I've saved enough babies to know that spaying is important!

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Even though she will only be an indoor kitty, I've saved enough babies to know that spaying is important!
Right you are. Even the indoor babies can slip out- even just 5 minutes outside can result in an unintended pregnancy!

And, do not underestimate the lengths a Tom will go to to find a mate. One time when I had a foster in heat a Tom scaled up the wall and was trying to scratch through the sliding glass door of my second floor apartment. With a little time I have no doubt he would have found a way in! 

That's good she's doing better with the girls. I have never had a Queen have a accident but it wouldn't surprise me if that was the cause. All those babies pushing on her bladder- she probably just couldn't get to the box fast enough! Make sure you clean it with a good enzyme remover (like Nature's Miracle) to prevent re-marking. 

lissi2u

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When I first got my first kitten Melina, I knew I was going to get her spayed but time got away from me and she started howling a bit and putting her bottom in the air. I did not realize kittens could go into heat around 6 months! Needless to say, several stray males were drawn to the house and one kept batting at the screen on my bedroom window to try to get in. I waited until the cycle was over and she was spayed. When I got Sophie, she was only four weeks old and being the runt of the litter was not 2 pounds until she was about 3.5 months. Needless to say she was fixed as soon as her weight allowed it. Sabrina is a sweetie and I think she just did not make it in time. It's certainly not a common thing. I do not think she will have a big litter though b/c she is not buldging very much. She was terribly thin though when I got her so she's much bigger but we'll see. She's constantly cleaning herself, especially her tummy. She's lost some fur around her nipples and some are a little bigger than others. She's got long hair but I was not sure if I should try to trim it or not before the babies get here. I'm really excited for the experience not just for me but for the kids. And thank you for your response! I love talking about cats and always have questions.

levi68

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If she is already showing some aggression towards your other cats, be very careful once she gives birth.

I usually keep my foster momma cats in a large bathroom on my main floor. With one first time momma, she only had to catch a glimpse of one of my boys 20 ft away and she was across the room like streak lightening! Full out attack mode.

Others will tolerate unless they feel their kittens are being threatened.

greeds avarice

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Pregnant cats tend to be aggressive towards other cats especially when she is about to have her litter....its sometimes worse after... but perhaps a lavender incense will calm her some not too much just enough to relax. I used it on my cat when she had her first litter(has since been fixed) she became highly aggressive towards the other animals and some family members, I started using the incense and she soon calmed down and even came to the point where she would let my cousin hold the kittens (she hated men especially my cousin..we still have no idea why as soon as we brought her home she hated him). Hope this helps some. Oh and becareful which one you use, don't use a mega strong one, and none of the glade stuff.