Fibrosarcoma

melissa89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently found a lump between my cat's shoulderblades. I took her to the vet, and they said to wait a few weeks to see if it grows. It grew a little bit, so I took her back yesterday. They are going to do a biopsy to see if it really fibrosarcoma. If it is, then they would need to do surgery to remove and possible radiation/chemo. My vet said that if it was her cat, she wouldn't put her through the radiation/chemo part of treatment because of her age. She is 13. I love her sooo much. She's not just a cat, she's more than that and I would do anything to save her. What should I do?

jenwales

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm going through the exact same thing with my 13 year old, Jack, and I've decided against radiation/chemo. He's had 2 tumors removed in the past 6 months and it is a matter of time before the cancer spreads and takes his life.

Jack is my very best friend and I love him more than I could ever express. All of the research I've done tells me that he's going to die from this regardless of how far I go with treatment, and I'm not going to put him through anything that is going to decrease the quality of life he has. So far, Jack seems 100% normal and happy.

Hugs to you. These decisions are never easy. Do what you think is right for your baby.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

melissa89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by threecatowner

I don't have any advice, I just want to send lots of healing vibes for your baby girl :vi bes:
Thank you.

I just picked her up from the vet and it could take up to two weeks before I know if it's fibrosarcoma or not. I hope like hell it's not

melissa89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The vet called today, and it is fibrosarcoma. I want to do the surgery and the chemo on her, but my vet said that if it was her cat, she wouldn't do the chemo part because of her age. Im definately going to get the surgery, but i dont know about the chemo part yet.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear about your beloved little girl. Prayers and vibes for her, please keep us posted.

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear this news.

Never having been in your shoes, I can't shed much light on your situation, but I wanted to send you warm wishes. Best of luck to you and your cat.

melissa89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone. She goes in for surgery to remove the tumor on Wednesday September 15th. The good thing about this tumor is that it moves, which means it hasn't branched off deep into the tissue yet. usually you can't move this kind of tumor around. I think I might have caught it early enough. so I hope that when she gets the surgery, it will be the end of this tumor and it doesn't come back. Ill let you all know how she is after surgery.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll be thinking of your little girl on Wednesday morning. What's her name? I'd love to send her some personal thoughts.

lovewhiskers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Best wishes for your little darling.

Our senior baby boy Sammy had a fibrosarcoma removed in March this year from the top of his head, next to his left year. We did not go for radiation because he would have had to be boarded at the closest radiation facility for three weeks and we know he would have not make it through the emotional ordeal (he was abandoned to the outdoors before in his life).

We took him to a holistic vet and he has been going a holistic chemotherapy treatment and boosting of the immune system. I can give you details if you are interested.

Marina

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am sorry you and your cat are going through this ordeal. Keep us posted. Lots of prayers going your way.:

melissa89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

I'll be thinking of your little girl on Wednesday morning. What's her name? I'd love to send her some personal thoughts.
Her name is Sandy.

melissa89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sandy had the surgery Wednesday and she is doing great! She's sleeping a lot, but she's almost back to normal. She bounces back fast!! lol. I'm praying like crazy that it's gone and it doesn't come back. I'll let you guys know in few days how she's doing.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh thank you for the update! You know, I was thinking of your cat all day yesterday, but couldn't remember which thread it was, so couldn't tell you so.

Sandy
!

melissa89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

Oh thank you for the update! You know, I was thinking of your cat all day yesterday, but couldn't remember which thread it was, so couldn't tell you so.

Sandy
!
Thank you for thinking of her!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope the surgery got it all.

And your Sandy looks a lot like my MewMew in your cat pages picture - right down to the look on her face.

ruthyc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Marina!  My name Is Ruth and My Felix the Cat here in the picture with me has had a fibrosarcoma removed from his right side of his body on feb 17th.  It was size of an egg.  I am devastated beyond words.  I don't want to put him through any more traumatic ordeals, he does not do well under stress.  I do not want radiation or chemo, but I definitely want to find a holistic vet that would give him treatment to boost his immune system even though he has feline immunodeficiency virus!  Just like human AIDS.  But much more mild.  Can you help me?  I live in La Habra, CA  next to Los Angeles.  How do I go about finding that kind of vet? Where is your Vet located?  I believe this is my only route, as I have read that chemo and radiation are ineffective against fibrosarcoma   Please help anyway that you can, please.  I am desperate!

Thank you so much!