Fiber Food Question

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mt cat was prescribed royal canin fiber response a while ago. I've been looking at other food labels and some brands/types have a higher fiber percentage. So now I'm all confused since the fiber response is supposed to have loads of fiber, according to the vet. But others have more fiber.
Royal canin riber response I believe has 4.7%
Iams indoor weight and hairball has 8%

Last edited:

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
The values on the label are on an as fed basis so you have to convert them to dry matter basis before you compare labels.

Either way, cats shouldn’t need that much fiber in their diet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
fiber response was supposed to help with the throw up but it didnt. but it does help her go to the bathroom. so i want a high fiber food thats not royal canin since its too expensive and its not doing everything it should.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats don't need as much fiber as they need moisture in their diet. My recommendation would be to switch to a high moisture diet of primarily wet canned food and if you feel that you need to add some soluble fiber you can give a teaspoon or less of plain canned pumpkin every day or every other day mixed with the food. The problem with high fiber foods is that they are usually low in animal protein and excessively high in carbs.

The moisture will help with hairballs and vomiting, unless it's some other underlying medical issue altogether.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i just really hate giving her wet food because then shes begging for more all day. her issue is more throwing up after eating. i feed her 2x a day and i slowly feed her breakfast since shes eating on a empty tummy but it doesnt always help. blood work is normal. shes 6 years old and she has had this all her life. throws up 3-10x a month. she has an appt thursday. so we'll see what the vet says.
i dont see my cat eating canned pumpkin, shes soooo picky! do peoples cats actually eat this?

cocoanlace

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i dont see my cat eating canned pumpkin, shes soooo picky! do peoples cats actually eat this?
I have had up to eight cats at one time and I have never been successful in getting any of them to eat canned pumpkin to address any digestive issues. Even if I mix it in their favorite wet food, they walk away as if it is ruined. And it is because they will allow it to dry up. I have had to find alternative methods just as you have by feeding high-fiber dry foods that are not what I would like to feed a cat because of the other ingredients. Sometimes it's a trade-off.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Why does the vet suggesting high fiber? There are manyr reasons why a cat is throwing up.

cocoanlace

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Why does the vet suggesting high fiber? There are manyr reasons why a cat is throwing up.
The vet did not suggest high-fiber for this particular cat but when she learned that is what he has been eating for a year, and working, she had no problem. It was a different vet that suggested it for my intestinal lymphoma cat who had explosive diarrhea towards the end. I remembered that and when this Kitty started having diarrhea, I tried the high-fiber and it worked within 72 hours so I stuck with it. But now that he has a newly created digestive system,, essentially, I want to find something that makes more sense for him going forward. Thanks.