FHV - Max,Multicat menace?

cejhome

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use Method free & clear, but its not available at a lot of grocery stores. I think Target may carry it. I have to buy mine from Amazon. I do not use fabric softener sheets. I use Attitude Static Eliminator and Fabric Softener, Reusable Dryer Clothes to help with static when drying. They work pretty good (need to keep like fabric with like). I do not use any air freshener, essential oil, potpourri or anything scented. No scented toiletries, either. Scented products mess with my allergies a lot. If you smoke/vap, etc. do it outside the house. We don't use that stuff, and anytime we are unfortunate to be near it, my sinuses go haywire (my husband just sneezes his face off). I am not sure if our Buddy is sensitive to any fragrance stuff - he has pollen allergies (me too, sigh).

I am not sure if this is still a valid preventative/treatment, its been many years - I used to pet sit. I had a client that had a kitty with feline herpes. She had 5 other cats. None of them developed it. She would give Pastisse L-Lysine when she'd have a flare up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Method free & clear, but its not available at a lot of grocery stores. I think Target may carry it. I have to buy mine from Amazon. I do not use fabric softener sheets. I use Attitude Static Eliminator and Fabric Softener, Reusable Dryer Clothes to help with static when drying. They work pretty good (need to keep like fabric with like). I do not use any air freshener, essential oil, potpourri or anything scented. No scented toiletries, either. Scented products mess with my allergies a lot. If you smoke/vap, etc. do it outside the house. We don't use that stuff, and anytime we are unfortunate to be near it, my sinuses go haywire (my husband just sneezes his face off). I am not sure if our Buddy is sensitive to any fragrance stuff - he has pollen allergies (me too, sigh).

I am not sure if this is still a valid preventative/treatment, its been many years - I used to pet sit. I had a client that had a kitty with feline herpes. She had 5 other cats. None of them developed it. She would give Pastisse L-Lysine when she'd have a flare up.
Yep- lysine is a good for upper respiratory support ,I'm also using ecinacea & blackberry root as per vet & iPappy iPappy ( lol). However,they do have a good iRx injection for sneezing ,coughing & other virus symptoms they use on dogs with Parvo- we've ordered it for my Graycie ( coughing) and we are going to get it Monday - it's supposed to be great for cats with FHV and we shall see

So thanks for suggesting Method free & clear,I see Walmart.com has it & I just ordered it! I was really hoping some one who had allergies would give me a Brand to try - 👍

How about air purifiers? Do you use one? I'd really like to find one not only that works well but also it QUIET - I am really bothered by humming & running motor sounds - yikes!

cejhome

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had an air purifier in the past, but I honestly didn't see any difference. I think I do better by vacuuming with a vac that has a Hepa filter, and doing it often, dusting and washing and changing the bedding once a week. We have a screen porch, and when the weather is good (which is most of the time - Florida), Buddy loves to be out there. I wipe him down with a warm, damp washcloth once or twice a day as needed (I never let him go out on the porch afterwards - pollen will stick to the damp fur). He doesn't mind it, and actually loves it around his face! We will have a real Christmas tree again this year - he didn't have issues with it last year - no allergy reaction that I could tell, and he pretty much ignored it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I had an air purifier in the past, but I honestly didn't see any difference. I think I do better by vacuuming with a vac that has a Hepa filter, and doing it often, dusting and washing and changing the bedding once a week. We have a screen porch, and when the weather is good (which is most of the time - Florida), Buddy loves to be out there. I wipe him down with a warm, damp washcloth once or twice a day as needed (I never let him go out on the porch afterwards - pollen will stick to the damp fur). He doesn't mind it, and actually loves it around his face! We will have a real Christmas tree again this year - he didn't have issues with it last year - no allergy reaction that I could tell, and he pretty much ignored it.
Good to know-I really wonder about those " air purifiers" but I'll try anything to help Max & Graycie- we're in Florida too ( SouthEast),I think they do much better out on the patio - I think these wall to wall carpets are a culprit too -I want them all out and get laminate!$$$,yikes

Thanks for your feedback,very helpful-I appreciate it