FHV - Max,Multicat menace?

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi guys....I'm not a happy camper tonight ,I've gotten a herpes virus diagnosis for my Max ( 2yr old)- I suspected this underlying menace yet ruled it out because I have never have not quaranteened,tested and vaccinated any of my cats prior to integration- even Timmy was kept at a distance from the others when he was feral outside and before he was brought in thr first stop was the Vet for tests snd vax ,then was confined to an enclosure until he tested negative - so apparently,someone was not tested- I'm upset but it is " after the fact "

Back in August about the time Max & Bella started interacting with Timmy ( 2 months after confinement) Max began squinting one eye- immediately I took him to our Vet ,he had ultra violet exam,slight infection and given anti biotic drops(& injedtion) next month the other eye & straight back to Vet- again same treatment and thorough exam no underlying condition suspected but then the next month back to the left eye-,Vet suggested ophthalmologist which was a hefty cost so I gave pause but concern for the other cats and knowing something is very wrong I made the appt

Now I find out it is indeed herpes virus,these are not cats thst come in contact with any other cats,they are indoor only and every precaution has been taken so I'm extremely disappointed to say the least ,how did this happen- who brought this to the others,was it Max,Timmy or who? Somebody was the original carrier and only now did Max have a flare up or did he just get it from one of the others?

Now I need to have a discussion with my long time,trusted Vet- too late to be separating anyone and highly likely they all have it....

Grsycie,,my 7 yr old has had a persistent cough forever- anti histamine seem to address it as everything else is normal and its suspected allergies- is it ,now I wonder ?

Anyway,,I don't believe I'm looking for any answers here because I need to review each ones medical records with my Vet ( which we usually do at every visit anyway)- I'm thinking it's Timmy and he was not tested for Fhv ( pcr)but only Fiv & FeLV and I don't know how thst could have happened

I'm extremely overwhelmed by my own lung cancer monitoring,trying to get clearance for knee replacements and living in debilitating pain - I can't handle any more sickness and disease and treatments- beside myself ,by myself and after losing my Cheech 7 yrs ago I never wanted to live through the pain of caring for suffering animals but little by little they just sort of showed up and I love them dearly but can't take anymore burdens - it's killing me

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Kwik Kwik

I'm so sorry to hear that Max is going through this and also with Graycie's cough and also your own predicaments. This is totally out of my league and I have no answers for you except hat I hope all's well with you and the kitties and hope that all of you

IMG_5783.JPG

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
tabbytom tabbytom
Thank you my friend,for your kindness & for always being so compassionate,supportive and just " listening "-it is far more comforting than you may realize

I really don't even know where to begin because I am pretty sure since they all share food,water bowls and everything else that they all have it- I think I'll begin with bringing Graycie in ,doing a rapid test and try to figure out a plan ..... it's quite disheartening when you take every precaution and preventstive measure to keep all your animals safe,healthy & out of harms way only to find out something,somewhere was overlooked by someone or some test resulted with a false negative.....

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
tabbytom tabbytom
Thank you my friend,for your kindness & for always being so compassionate,supportive and just " listening "-it is far more comforting than you may realize

I really don't even know where to begin because I am pretty sure since they all share food,water bowls and everything else that they all have it- I think I'll begin with bringing Graycie in ,doing a rapid test and try to figure out a plan ..... it's quite disheartening when you take every precaution and preventstive measure to keep all your animals safe,healthy & out of harms way only to find out something,somewhere was overlooked by someone or some test resulted with a false negative.....
You are always welcomed.

I think as for now, please do not panic. How Max got it , we still don't know. Try to stay calm and take things step by step and trace what and where gone wrong. Chat with your vet and seek their opinions so that you have a clear path to take. So step back and have a breather. I know that you are concern for all of them kitties but I don't want you to run around like a headless chicken, get it?

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
tabbytom tabbytom
Your always the voice of reason- you've been a rock for me personally since day one and a person who just has a great impact on me- thsnk you!

Sadly,I'm already a chicken without a head trying desperately to pull it together- you know when there's just thst icing on the cake? Mess with me,,world - but leave my kitties alone!I feel I'm at a point where I can no longer give them what they need,I'm not enough for them -maybe not sleeping since yesterday is a factor- I'm in a bad place emotionally TT..... the "Encourager" is feeling very discouraged

Sorry for rambling & being negative,it's an unfamiliar mindset for me and I don't like it at all---- 😟

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
tabbytom tabbytom
Your always the voice of reason- you've been a rock for me personally since day one and a person who just has a great impact on me- thsnk you!

Sadly,I'm already a chicken without a head trying desperately to pull it together- you know when there's just thst icing on the cake? Mess with me,,world - but leave my kitties alone!I feel I'm at a point where I can no longer give them what they need,I'm not enough for them -maybe not sleeping since yesterday is a factor- I'm in a bad place emotionally TT..... the "Encourager" is feeling very discouraged

Sorry for rambling & being negative,it's an unfamiliar mindset for me and I don't like it at all---- 😟
You just hang on in there. Wait for the rest to reply that may be of help. This is the best I can do and I know, a muddle head cannot do things right and I don't want that to happen to you else you'll be much less help to the kitties. They understand what is going on and if they see you restless and worried, it'll affect them too and then you'll have another problem on hand.

Go have some rest.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Well tabbytom tabbytom looks like it's just us ,lol You're a Blessing- I truly appreciate your asking

I called my Vets office,the gals there were pretty shocked and seemed as taken back as I - I was going to leave a message for my Vet to call but instead I made an appt for Sunday....I'm bringing Graycie & Sami in- if I were physically able Idve brought them all in,lol

That's where I'll start,I've got a communicable incurable sickness here and the damage to Max's eyes as a result of it....now I've got to see who has whst and have a plan to keep it managed .I even considered re-homing anyone who may possibly be virus free- it would be devastating to me but those are the things I've been thinking about..... iPappy iPappy says they are where they should be and re- homing would not be in anyone's best interest ....I'm heartbroken over this,every time I look at the baby( Max is the baby,only 2) it tears my heart to pieces

Praying

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Well tabbytom tabbytom looks like it's just us ,lol You're a Blessing- I truly appreciate your asking

I called my Vets office,the gals there were pretty shocked and seemed as taken back as I - I was going to leave a message for my Vet to call but instead I made an appt for Sunday....I'm bringing Graycie & Sami in- if I were physically able Idve brought them all in,lol

That's where I'll start,I've got a communicable incurable sickness here and the damage to Max's eyes as a result of it....now I've got to see who has whst and have a plan to keep it managed .I even considered re-homing anyone who may possibly be virus free- it would be devastating to me but those are the things I've been thinking about..... iPappy iPappy says they are where they should be and re- homing would not be in anyone's best interest ....I'm heartbroken over this,every time I look at the baby( Max is the baby,only 2) it tears my heart to pieces

Praying
At least they are going to the vet and hopefully whatever the cause is will be dealt with and hopefully be controlled and I hope that it won't so serious that you have to re=home them. Maybe get someone to temporary foster them but if the 'pandemic' is not settled, likely no one will take them in as they may be afraid that it'll spread over.

See what the vet can come up with and hopefully they can make a right diagnosis and stop it right there.

I understand what you are going through, just remembering all of you in prayers
2a74cd9c373055585680949aca53513c.jpg
and they may
IMG_5783.JPG

without re-homing any kitties. You take care of your own health too and don't go overboard with all the worries for worrying gets you nowhere. The kitties need you too.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if someone else meantioned this but its estimated that as much as 95%-97% of the feline population has been exposed to feline herpes. Not all cats show syptoms however and the virus remains "quarentiened" until the animal is stressed.

How the vacciene works is intresting too, it does not prevent infection but makes symptoms less severe once the virus becomes active.

In human terms, it is much like the common cold in how fast it spreads and mutates, it is nicknamed "cat flu" or "cat cold" because of this.

It is extremly contagious
It can be transmited from mom even. Chances are the cat was already infected shortly after birth. The virus just stayed "quarentiened" until a period of stress allowed it free.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if someone else meantioned this but its estimated that as much as 95%-97% of the feline population has been exposed to feline herpes. Not all cats show syptoms however and the virus remains "quarentiened" until the animal is stressed.

How the vacciene works is intresting too, it does not prevent infection but makes symptoms less severe once the virus becomes active.

In human terms, it is much like the common cold in how fast it spreads and mutates, it is nicknamed "cat flu" or "cat cold" because of this.

It is extremly contagious
It can be transmited from mom even. Chances are the cat was already infected shortly after birth. The virus just stayed "quarentiened" until a period of stress allowed it free.
Thanks for the reply,I am aware of the stats etc.....I highly suspect Max was the carrier and somehow overlooked ( or false negative )

I've got a problem here that I'm not quite sure my home will be the best for them all......I had a disappointing report yesterday regarding this ongoing cancer battle of my own and I think I've surpassed my usefulness to my babies...... it will literally kill me to say good bye to any one of them and I don't know what the future holds but I sure want to give them one

I'm so sorry I sound so negative and gloomy-if I was healthy and in the financial position I used to be I would have had a much different outlook

If you are a praying person,please pray for us .....thank you

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
tabbytom tabbytom
Hi TT.....Thank you for asking.I just hung up the phone with my Vet,I'm doing alot better since I saw him yesterday and the gang is in good hands so I can catch my breath a little

Graycie's cough got really bad Saturday night and she sounded so congested,with all my heart I wanted to take her in my arms and fill the bathroom with steam but I just couldn't do it physically-it's a horrible feeling to be debilitated .I just cried,gave her cough syrup ,cried some more and petted her

So Sunday a nice person offered to get me,Graycie & Sami to our Vet appt-boy that made things easy.Doc told me since I've retired thst I have to retire my brain as well & let him do the worrying,lol. he's a good guy.He told me to just focus on my own treatment and he'll help the kitties.... so yeah,I'm doing okay now

I was super worried about having the $ to provide them with the proper care and talked about what's best for Sami & Bella thst are asymptomatic- Doc says being with me is the best place they can be and we'll figure it out when & IF.... no sense in spending a fortune on re-testing everyone because they all live together,share everything but Sami,Bella and Timmy all have 3 yr vaccines,they're good til 2026 and they obviously have good immunities

Little Max,,only time will tell with his eyes but we're doing all we can for him and I will give them all immune support suppliments-Max goes back to the ophthalmologist next week

Doc only charged me for one cat visit,he gave Graycie a 2wk anti- biotic injection-nose & eye drops and he just called because Graycie goes into sheer terror with pills or oral suspension so I asked if we could find something transdermal for her URI---he found a pharmacy that has a human dosage transdermal ( less than cats) and he has to research a little more first - found the best price pharmacies for the other meds & they should arrive by Friday so everyone will be okay

Max was supposedly tested by the Vet from the shelter that did his cryptorchid nueter surgery and we believe he was the carrier becsuse all the others were cleared by my Vet- and Graycies problems began after Max joined our clowder( Max is only 2)

So I've got good support- and a good Team at the Cancer Center myself - I'm hangin in there - doing the best we can,me and the babies❤

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
So I've got good support- and a good Team at the Cancer Center myself - I'm hangin in there - doing the best we can,me and the babies❤
Thank goodness you have a good vet and get all the support you need and also a helpful neighbor.

Yes, your vet is right, leave the thinking to him and you take care of yourself and not worry that much. You guys I believe is in good hands. So don't worry so much.

Sending vibes to all of you! :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank goodness you have a good vet and get all the support you need and also a helpful neighbor.

Yes, your vet is right, leave the thinking to him and you take care of yourself and not worry that much. You guys I believe is in good hands. So don't worry so much.

Sending vibes to all of you! :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:
I actually came here for some of those "good vibes" , tabbytom tabbytom deposited a good vibe supply of my very own!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
So today was Max's follow up with the ophthalmologist and its GREAT news- Max is not going to lose his eyesight,the conjunctivitis has cleared , ghost vessels ( chemosis)are gone and the herpes is umder control - I'll be weaning him off the Famciclovir over the next 2weeks.

He has a dry eye,something is irritating his eyes and I will be lubricating them daily-gotta try to find what this irritant is-Im Suspecting laundry detergent becsusd he mostly squints when he comes off my bed ,he loves sleeping on the bed-Im thinking of an air purifier as well......

Gee it's tough to pin point these kind of things ,it could be anything,a cleaner,detergent,dust ,who knows what? I threw out the Feliway diffusers,plug ins ahd I'm going to switch to ALL ( free) laundry detergent--- anyone have any ideas? Graycie coughs and has teary eyes so Doc things they are sensitive to SOMETHING--

Well,at least it seems under control now and I've got 3 asymptomatic so I can breathe a sigh of relief.....❤

DeesCats

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Good news!

Try switching the laundry detergent first and if you use fabric softener or dryer sheets you can eliminate them one by one if you are looking for which product may be the culprit.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Good news!

Try switching the laundry detergent first and if you use fabric softener or dryer sheets you can eliminate them one by one if you are looking for which product may be the culprit.
I don't use those D DeesCats so I was thinking of trying new detergent first-any suggestions - I've always used Gain pods and I'm not sure what to try

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Kwik Kwik I have only used Shaklee's brand of detergents (and cleaning products) for the last 45 years so can't offer any suggestions for other brands, sorry.
Thanks okay, I'm glad you also think I should try the Comforter first with an unscented detergent for sensitive people - maybe some one else uses something they could suggest ( maybd they have kids with allergies or that kind of thing,) ....