FHS Help?

pumpkinseed

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone here was familiar or experienced with FHS feline hyperesthesia syndrome. I had a Siamese here who I adored with it. At the time I lived in a place that allowed cats but well, I got complained about all the time because of the loud howling and I was told he had to go or I did. With no money to up and move, he now lives with my best friend and she won't give him back for the world, and I can't blame her he is a doll.
Well one of the new cats I just took in I believe is showing signs of the same disease. He is basically fine ALL DAY, but once it gets around 8-9 pm its all over. This only happens at night. He will start meowing loudly then it will turn into a MOE MOE MOE. When I say his name it goes back to a loud meow . The only way I can stop it is by distracting him or picking him up and loving him. 10 minutes later it starts again. This goes on about every 1/2 hour all night until it gets light out. Once its about 7 am is stops and he sleeps. I think its safe to say that you all know, I got NO sleep last night.

He is licking his lips a lot. I checked and he does have some slight gingivitis which I will be treating holistically and if it doesn't get better we will go get some clindamycin but his teeth are looking ok and he does eat. He doesn't lick obsessively but will lick your fingers if you put them at his mouth. Once in a while he will turn like he has an itch and lick at his side and then thats it. First I thought it was because he was in a new place, but the more settled in he has become the worse it has gotten. He will not stop! I feel bad but at the same time getting frustrated! I put drops of rescue remedy on his ears last night which seemed to help but only a little.
Does anyone use anything that helps better? I had clomacalm for my last cat which did nothing but make him foam at the mouth. I love this cat and really don't want to give him back to the lady. I'll do what I can but I suffer from an illness myself and have a hard enough time sleeping and now with this its near impossible.
Any suggestions? Are persians also known to get FHS? I know Siamese it was common but not Persians. Please any suggestions! I don't want to go to the vet just yet cause he is going to do the same as he did with my last cat which is basically nothing cause besides drugging them he said there was nothing to do. I am going to be switching foods that don't contain ingredients that I found on a website to avoid. He hasn't had shots since he was a kitten and I won't get any now. I am just not sure what else to do now.