Ff Vs. Sheba: Which Is Less Horrible?

alibali

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there!

So I FINALLY got my two boys on a strictly wet food diet, but they will ONLY eat Sheba cuts in gravy, and Fancy Feast gravy lovers, and only the poultry flavors. (Inky has chronic pancreatitis/IBD and Beef and fish make him vomit).

I know these are probably both horrible, but if I had to pick the lesser of two evils, which would it be?

Or is there a healthy alternative that is full of gravy like these are?

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here are the ingredients for the Sheba Perfect Portions Cuts in Gravy Roasted Chicken:

Chicken Broth, Chicken, Chicken Liver, Poultry By-Products, Meat By-Products, Tapioca Starch, Natural Flavor, Minerals (Potassium Chloride, Magnesium Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Iron Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Copper Sulfate), Sodium Tripolyphosphate, Added Color, Fish Oil (Preserved With Mixed Tocopherols), Salt, Xanthan Gum, Vitamins (Choline Chloride, Thiamine Mononitrate [Vitamin B1], Vitamin E Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride [Vitamin B6], Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex [Source Of Vitamin K Activity]), Taurine, Dl-Methionine.

According to Dr. Pierson's chart, the caloric info is as follows:
Protein: 41%
Fat: 46%
Carbs: 13%

Here are the ingredients for the FF Gravy Lovers Chicken Feast:

Poultry Broth, Chicken, Liver, Wheat Gluten, Meat By-products, Turkey, Corn Starch-Modified, Artificial And Natural Flavors, Soy Flour, Salt, Calcium Phosphate, Added Color, Potassium Chloride, Natural Grilled Chicken Flavor, Taurine, Choline Chloride, Magnesium Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K Activity), Manganese Sulfate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Biotin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Potassium Iodide

According to Dr. Pierson's chart, the caloric info is as follows:
Protein: 48%
Fat: 38%
Carbs: 15%

In terms of first few ingredients and meat content they seem pretty similar, although Sheba has more meat ingredients listed at the beginning while FF has wheat gluten as the 4th ingredient. Sheba specifies that the liver is chicken liver while FF just states "liver". Also FF has grains (wheat gluten, corn starch) and artifical flavours which I would stay away from. Sheba has Xanthum gum which is not so good but if your cat is doing okay on it (no diarrhea or vomiting) I think it's fine. Sheba also has tapioca starch but I would pick that over wheat gluten and corn starch.

The protein-fat-carb ratios are pretty similar for both, but Sheba has slightly less carbs (but more fat instead) which I think is better. If I were to choose between these 2 foods I would pick Sheba.

I think Weruva also has some poultry in gravy varieties you might want to check out on their website.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alibali

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow thanks for the detailed response!

I have tried Weruva but they wouldn't eat it. They are so darn picky!

I'm trying to trick them into liking raw food by sneaking some Stella and Chewy raw into their gross gravy food but half the time they won't eat it, and just meow for different food.

I guess I'll stick to the Sheba unless I find something else they'll eat.

Thanks again!!

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No problem! I know how frustrating it is to find good healthy foods your cats will eat. I think the Sheba is not horrible... if you're willing to, you might even have better luck with homemade food? Might be something to look into.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with Neo_23 Neo_23 's conclusion. For me, the tapioca in Sheba is "less worse" than the wheat and corn ingredients in Fancy Feast. Tapioca is carby and not great for cats but wheat and corn are carby, too, and known irritants for feline digestive systems. I feed occasional pouches of Weruva chicken with pumpkin because the cats love it so much -- but I drain most of the gravy because of the tapioca.

Good for you for getting your cats on all wet food... and if you do decide to try homemade, I highly recommend EZcomplete's supplement, which our cats love with cooked meat. Good luck on finding more to feed!