Few steps backward on introduction of resident cat and new kitten

dianemaria

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
HI, I'm new here. I will try to make this as short as I can.

Have had resident cat Smoky 11 months, now age 2-1/2 yrs old. Brought in new kitten Bandit last November 2016, age now is 5 months. Started introductions end of November, so introductions are going on about 6 weeks now.

Did the gate on door, swapping scents, swapping rooms, etc. eating between the gate, have Feliway plug-in going, and did well. Resident cat hissing some but settled down for the most part and accepted all that. And is still accepting the scents, going into each other rooms, eating next to each other, etc.

So, we got to the point about 2 weeks ago they are out together in the house for limited times. Kitten is RELENTLESS/pesty in bothering resident cat. They were taking turns chasing each other, resident cat wasn't aggressive most of the time. Sometimes it would get a little out of hand, staring, posturing, bristled back, puffy tail and then I knew it was time to separate them.

Thought we were making progress, then 2 days ago, I let them out together more during the day but watching them, lots of chasing. But I think something must have happened where resident cat totally got bent out of shape.

Next day resident cat sulking, didn't eat much, going down the basement for hours (where kitten is not allowed), and very aggressive to kitten. Kitten can't even walk through the room without resident cat staring and attacking her. Kitten got spooked and would barely walk around the house.

Kept them mostly separated yesterday, just a few meetings in the main house together. Resident cat still having a snit-fit.

Oh, also they had one of those tunnels and resident cat got VERY possessive of that thing, so I put it away. It seemed to start fights when one or the other was in it.

Today, started over being in out in the main house together again. Watched them closely, distracted them when I saw staring happening. Giving treats. Now resident cat is being possessive over an area rug I just put out, so I put another towel out too. Seems like she's getting possessive of certain things.

Talked to vet. I'm picking up a calming aid (Zylkene) tonight for both of them. She said to give it 2-3 weeks.

Bottom line is it seems like resident cat can tolerate kitten if kitten didn't CONSTANTLY bother her. And by bothering, I mean kitten is play attacking, really rambunctious, strutting her stuff, doing the posturing, doing all the kitten things that they try out while growing up. If resident cat is in the room, kitten is all over her and won't leave her alone. I can kind of distract her with playing when they are both out together, but doesn't work so well.

Resident cat seems so crabby and irritable, like her life just SUCKS at this point! She's not really a cuddle cat at all and has a low tolerance for being petted (she's always been like that). Also, should mention that resident cat LOVED LOVED LOVED going out in our screened-in patio over the summer and is totally bummed that she can't go out there now, going on 2 months since the weather got cold, which kind of coincides with time that kitten came to the house.

We were told by the foster group (where we got both of them) that resident cat is an Alpha Cat and definitely needs to be the boss, but that she would get along with other cats. They thought that kitten Bandit would go good with resident cat Smoky.

Oh, after one day of kitten being scared of resident cat after she kept getting attacked, she's now back to her antics, like she totally forgot she got swatted and rolled 1 day ago.

Somebody tell me there is light at the end of the tunnel. Is it common to have set-backs?? Is anyone familiar with Zylkene calming aid?

Thanks! :)

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
THank you for saving another cat.

It sounds like you have done a very good job. There are always ups and downs.

Have there been any actual fights or is it just rough play?

Is there any change in behavior from resident cat? Avoiding areas, Hiding (other than that one day), walking differently, etc? 

It is very common for the young cat/kitten to be always wanting to play etc. A lot of energy. Always bothering the resident cat. It is very normal.

I am surprised at resident cat's reaction the other day. Hiding in the basement etc. I wish we knew what might have happened.

But it sounds like things have gotten a little better.

So please continue doing what you are doing. Associating the other cat with good things (food, treats, play). Distracting with play or food if there is a little staring or the play gets a little rough.

The possessiveness might be a little territory insecurity. but play and food should help that. Also, maybe get an old shirt and put the kitten scent by the tunnel etc. I don't like taking anything away so I would rather leave the items out and deal with it. Cats do not like losing territory and I view cat trees, tunnels etc as territory.

Sometimes the cats need to work out the protocol. So we can do a lot but sometimes they need to work it out as well.

I am sure resident cat isn't too unhappy. They can be a bit bothered by the energy of the younger new cat but they find a happy medium. Do anything you can to make the resident cat happy. Since love is not really an option use food and play.

Also, cats can take on our emotions so please try to be as calm and confident and positive as possible around them. I wonder if resident picks up on your worry that resident isn't happy.

It is great that kitten is no longer afraid of resident. That is great, a positive. Tells me that resident is not a threat.

There is absolutely light at the end of the tunnel. I have helped so many people with the same situation. VERY NORMAL.

I would like to understand why resident hide that day but if we don't see any troubling behavior then it will be a one off thing. 

Just keep working to build their confidence (play, food, getting them up on cat trees) and associating each other with something good (food, play) and do the scent swapping and things should be fine. Keep getting them to eat together.

A confident cat is less likely to attack and less likely to be attacked.

I am happy to help you along the way. Just please feel free to ask anything, share details, and I think we'll figure this out. From what I have read I am not too worried about your situation. But I'll be here for you as long as needed.

Keep up the great work, you are doing an excellent job. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dianemaria

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the post CalicosRSpecial!

Your thoughts/ideas are very encouraging! I'm also trying to keep my talking to them a little more on the positive side instead of yelling when I have to stop weird behavior between them. The vet did say that redirecting them instead of yelling at them is better. They're already upset and riled up and yelling at them just adds fuel to the fire! So, trying that too.

I just felt so discouraged after we had what I thought was a "good" day. But looking back, maybe it was just too long of a time period together at once.

Answers to your questions:

1. Resident cat seems a little moodier, but I guess that's to be expected with her new "buddy" in the house. In my daughter's words...resident cat Smoky has a "strong personality."

2. The fighting....it was a little too rough for my liking. Rolling around and claws out everywhere.

But everyone is still using the litter box, nobody is scratching anything up, and there's no howling at night. So, I guess that's looking on the bright side!

Oh, kitten is still shut in the spare bedroom at night and whenever we aren't home. So, resident cat still gets to roam free in the house a good part of the time.

This evening is going pretty well. They've been out for about an hour together and lots of chasing, but no hissing or aggressive attacks. It seems like they're "working out the protocol" as you say.

I picked up the Zylkene calming aid tonight and they each got a capsule contents sprinkled on wet food and they chowed it down. The vet instructed 1 capsule per day per cat for 2-3 weeks.

Thanks again! I'm so appreciative of the tips and encouragement! :) I just wasn't expecting all this strife when we got the kitten; I was living in a fantasy world I guess! This is hard work! ha!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are very welcome.

The vet is exactly right. It is better to redirect them rather than yelling etc. Cats can take on our emotions and stress so I believe (as your vet does) that it only escalates the situation. I know it is easier said than done but all we can do is try our best.

There are some ups and downs always in the introduction process and everything you are experiencing is very common and not alarming.

Yes, it is sometimes a bit rough. There is definitely a difference between rough play and fighting. And the behavior after the encounter can tell us a lot. Hiding, slinking around etc. It is something we have to monitor.

GREAT that they were together last night playing. If it gets a bit too wild distract with play or food. But the fact they can get along for an hour is great and tells me things should be fine. Cats are very intelligent and they learn and teach a lot.

You are very welcome. I think you are doing a great job and you are experiencing very common things. On a scale of 1 - 10 being 1 not worried at all and 10 really worried I am about a 1 1/2. I think all will be well.

But please let me know how things go and any changes there might be. And please feel free to ask anything anytime. It is always best to work on little things before they become big. But I am highly confident you will do a great job with them, keep up the good work. And I'll be here for you as long as needed.

dianemaria

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi again,

Thanks again! Your thoughts are giving me hope! :) And that this type of behavior is not all that unusual! I'm trying to pay more attention to "cues" from the resident cat Smoky, depending on her mood. The kitten is just off the wall all the time. So, if I see that resident cat is having quiet time, then keep kitten out of her fur/hair, so to speak!

Will definitely keep you updated!

Oh, forgot to mention, kitten Bandit is a dilute calico! The third calico I have owned. I couldn't resist her when I saw her! She's a little cuddle bug!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are welcome. There is a lot of hope. 

Kittens do have a lot of energy and it can last a while. But they'll work it out. Combined with what you are doing things will work out. It is great that you help give Smoky some quiet time by distracting the kitten. There are a lot of positive signs and everything is very normal. Keep trying to tire kitten out, that should help give Smoky some peace.

That is so cool about the kitten. As you know, CalicosR Special!!! :)

I am happy to help, I think we are in good shape. But let's monitor the situation and please watch the behavior. Behavior tells us a lot. Please feel free to share anything and ask anything.

Keep up the great work!! 

dianemaria

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, I am SO DISCOURAGED at this point!!

Thought we were doing okay, but since this past weekend resident cat Smoky has become more and more territorial, almost constantly staring at kitten Bandit when kitten Bandit is out in the house, charging her, fighting, very aggressive. Smoky corners her and won't give up. There hasn't been any blood yet but I feel like this is not fair to either one of them. Kitten is starting to fight back more which just escalates things.

I don't know whether to totally start over with introductions or what. It seems like resident cat Smoky is SO MAD at her all the time! I've got two Feliway diffusers going, started the Zylkene calming med from the vet last 4 days ago, lots of play time. They eat together okay, when they are somewhat sleepy they can be out in the house together. I know the Zylkene takes awhile to get in their system, but every day right now is a challenge.

Right now it's early in the morning and I have already shut resident Smoky back in my office where her food and litter box is so kitten Bandit can have some time out in the house since she's shut in spare bedroom all night.

The only thing I can think of is that kitten Bandit has been using Smoky's litter box lately. But Smoky doesn't attack her or anything when she knows kitten Bandit is in it or try to prevent her from going in there. Could that be it??? How do I keep kitten Bandit out of there other than shutting the door, then resident cat Smoky can't get to it either! Yesterday I tried to clean it more so it's more fresh for Smoky.

Anybody have any ideas???

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We will figure this out.

Have you been putting Smoky in your office with the door closed more in the last week or so so that Bandit can move around the house more?

Are you able to distract Smoky at all when Smoky focuses on Bandit? Or is Smoky really "locked on"?

What exactly has happened leading up to the recent issues? 

Kitten standing up is not necessarily a bad thing. But there is a fine line between it being a positive or a negative.

It sounds like they are "working it out" right now. But we want their interactions to be more positive. It is great that they eat together and that when tired they can be in the house together.

It could be that Smoky is feel a bit insecure about Bandit using her litter box. How long has that been happening?

Can you add an additional litter box or two? Maybe another one in the office and one somewhere else?

Is Smoky acting any differently? Avoiding places? Hiding?

I would like to hear the answers to the above questions.

Until I do, I would suggest a couple of things. Lets step up play especially for Smoky in any areas that the confrontations happen. After the play feed treats or a meal. Lets pull back a bit on how much time is spent together to give Smoky a little break from the kittens playing. Also, I would like to not close off any territory for Smoky. So no having Smoky in the office with the door closed. Keep feeding together if possible. And if they are in the house together try to distract kitten in any possible way (play, food) so that kitten does not bother Smoky. Anytime they are together without a negative encounter should be helpful. Bandit will be in the room more but right now Smoky is having the adjustment issues and we'll have to take it a bit slower. And keep trying to associate the cats with good things (like food and play).

What you are going through is common, I know it doesn't feel like it but it really is. The fact they can eat together and they do not actually fight is positive. But we want Smoky to feel more secure and therefore we need to slowdown the interactions and just rebuild via more positive interactions. And I know this can be stressful but cats can pick up on that energy so please try to be as calm and confident around Smoky as possible.

We are going to get through this. Sometimes it take a bit longer than we would like.

dianemaria

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

Answers to above questions:

1. No, Smoky has not been shut in my office more, if anything, she's been out in the house with the kitten more.

2. Smoky will be "locked on" the kitten more often than not. Today when I see it, however, I have been telling her (and the kitten too when SHE does it) a firm "no" and then am able to distract after the "no."

3. Leading up to issues: The only thing I can think of is that kitten has been out in house more when Smoky is out, Smoky has been spending more time watching birds in the window (window bird feeders), and the kitten using her litter box.

3. Kitten using Smoky's litter box: Probably last 4-5 days.

4. I can probably add another litter box in my office (since I'm not working in there anyway right now with all the cat drama going on, I've moved out to the dining room in the main part of the house). I put an additional litter box downstairs in the basement (where kitten is not allowed) about 6 weeks ago (right after kitten got here), but Smoky does not use it. She knows it's there, but doesn't use it.

5. Smoky is not acting any differently that I can see except the aggression towards kitten Bandit.

I don't know if I can avoid not closing Smoky in my office occasionally. When kitten is shut in her room or the other bedroom for an extended length of time, she howls and jumps and throws herself against the door. Smoky has the run of the house from 9 p.m. until 7 a.m. every night too and whenever we aren't home, so it's not like she's not out here. Smoky also has alone time with us after kitten Bandit "goes to bed" and I shut her door for the night.

I don't feel I can keep kitten shut up in her room much more than she is already. I also sometimes close the door to my bedroom when a cat wanders in there (bird watching in that window too). I never pick up Smoky and put her somewhere (actually she hates being picked up and has always been like that). I try to see where a cat is and what the timing is and who's been out longer and will close doors/let the other one out. YUK I can't believe I am back to this! I feel like my entire day is consumed with these cats!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1.) :( Cats can rebel if territory is taken away. It could be cumulative but since it is steady this may not be it.

2:) GREAT that you can distract. That is very helpful.

3.) Maybe there is just a bit too much exposure to each other. Watching the birds should be a positive for Smoky. It could be the litter box, that Smoky doesn't like it as they can get territorial over a littler box. Something we need to consider.

4.) I would think about adding litter boxes. It could be helpful

Does Smoky have a cat tree she can "own"? Can you add one in the office?

5.) It is good Smoky is not acting differently.

Yeah, it is not so much that Smoky is not out in the house it is that she is not out there all the time. It goes back to question 1. Anytime we take territory away it can cause issues. But it is understandable given kitten wants to be out and about so badly.

I am so glad you don't "put" Smoky anywhere. That is good to let them go where they want rather than put them someplace.

Has your stress level risen recently? I am guessing yes but significantly? I ask because cats can take on our emotions and can then feel more stressed. It can be a tough cycle.

Is it possible to step up play with them? I know time is precious but it could help. And if the office can be made into a positive (with play, treats, looking out at the birds etc) it could help Smoky being in that room.

I know, cat intros can be tough. Your situation is actually very common and I don't think it is that bad we we do have some work still. There are positives. Let's keep trying to build on the positives and keep associating the other cat with good things (like play and food).

Please let me know how things are going. I hope this is helpful.

dianemaria

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks CalicosRSpecial!

Your advice is extremely helpful!

I'm going to get another litter box for my office.

Watched them carefully while they were out together a little while ago (after being separated for a couple hours while I was out). Seems all is well, both walking around, smelling things, kinda in each own little world, until kitten Bandit eventually can't control herself and charges resident cat Smoky. That sets Smoky off, then no matter what, it just escalates. If somebody just glances incorrectly there's charging and chasing. UGH

Yeah....my stress level is up....trying to stay calm as I can! :)

It's funny....when we're all in the kitchen together when I'm getting their wet food out, they are both sweet as pie sitting there, watching me, smelling each other, not a problem between them.

Maybe we should just all hang out in the kitchen 24/7! :)

Thanks!

Will keep you posted!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are welcome.

It is tricky because there isn't really anything obvious. Combine that with the fact they do get along often (which is a great positive) tells me that it will eventually work out.

It is so common for the new young cat to always want to play and the resident older cat not to be in play mode as often.And the resident cat gets annoyed and "tells" the young cat to "knock it off".

Keep up what we talked about. My guess is that with time will help it work out (hopefully sooner rather than later). But I do believe it will be fine. I am not worried.

I'll be here for you along the way, don't worry.

dianemaria

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

Just wanted to give an update and encouragement for all those out there that are in the throes of difficult kitty introductions.

Smoky and Bandit are doing MUCH MUCH better! :)

I'm guessing it is a combo of:

1. Getting used to each other after 2 months (the longest 2 months of my life!)

2. Oral calming medication from the vet (Zylkene one capsule sprinkled on their food daily for each cat).

3. Feliway plug-in diffusers (2).

4. Kitten Bandit slowing growing up.

5. Resident cat Smoky figuring out that kitty is here to stay.

Resident cat Smoky still has her moments and she is definitely the cat in charge (Miss Alpha Cat) and kitten Bandit has learned that! But they both play together better and chase each other back and forth without aggression on Smoky's part I would say 99% of the time.

Helpful tips:

TWO cat trees! I had one and they were fighting over it, so got another cat tree which has a perch that is slightly higher than the first one.

Two scratching posts next to each other.

In other words....two of things that they were fighting over.

Oh, put two of the litter boxes together in the same area (house has a total of 3).

I still put kitten Bandit in a closed room when I'm not home to supervise and overnight. Will still be doing that for a while yet.

So, hang in there! :)

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for the update!!

GREAT WORK!!!! You have done a terrific job!! Really well done!!!

Thank you so much for adding tips for others, that is very helpful.

Great job and if you ever need anything never hesitate to contact us.