Fever In Young Kitten

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lynel

My "Monkey" ๐Ÿ’๐Ÿˆ
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I'm the Mom of Monkey. She's 8 weeks old. I rescued her literally from a dog's mouth. Other than the short period of a goopy bottom, she's been doing extremely well. Eating both wet & dry food along with KMR. A couple of days ago she started acting different. Sleeping ALOT & not really playing. I also noticed she had a fever. She was still eating ,drinking, & going potty. But this morning she isn't doing any or those things & her breathing sound like she's might be getting a URI. I do know that she needs to go to the Vet. But unfortunately I don't have any money. I mean like $2 to my name. But Monday at 12am I with receive my paycheck. I need to know what I can do in the mean time to help her. PLEASE if anyone can give me some suggestions I would be so grateful. Idk if this will be helpful but the Momma kitty & the other 2 babies are here on property. Another couple is caring for one of the other kittens whites eyes were all infected. They are completely cleared now. The Momma has been looking unwell with discharge from her nose n her breathing sounds off. There are 3 other kittens from the same Mom but different litters. One of them also hasn't been looking well. We plan to catch Momma ASAP to take her in to spay her. She has had 3 litters in just under a year. I'm sorry I'm rambling. I'm just extremely worried. I figure maybe the.more information I can give maybe the more advice I can receive.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for rescuing Monkey and trying to take care of her. :thanks: I agree with you that it sounds like she definitely needs medical treatment but if you can't afford a vet right now this Article may have some helpful tips for you. Also if you have a regular vet can you contact them and ask for a temporary payment plan?
No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Catโ€™s Life โ€“ TheCatSite Articles

I'm sorry I can't be of anymore help regarding what to do until you receive your paycheck but perhaps Jcatbird Jcatbird or fionasmom fionasmom or Antonio65 Antonio65 or Norachan Norachan or another member can step in who have more experience rescuing kittens/cats. Best of luck, please keep us updated on Monkey's progress. :alright:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like an upper respiratory infection, or feline herpes, which is NOT spreadable to humans but very easy for cats to spread. It is VERY common in places where there are a lot of cats. Your kitty needs to stay hydrated, offer little bowls of water frequently. Get any food you can down her, I keep Hartz Delectable Lickable around in the stew flavors, cats seem to eat this when they won't eat anything else. She needs lots of humidity. Run hot water in the bathroom until it becomes steamy and sit with her in there for at least 15 minutes. or put her in there after a shower. She does need a vet in case she needs an antibiotic, which once again I put in a small amount of Delectable Licakables. I pray it isn't anything more serious. please keep us updated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lynel

My "Monkey" ๐Ÿ’๐Ÿˆ
Kitten
Purraise
It sounds like an upper respiratory infection, or feline herpes, which is NOT spreadable to humans but very easy for cats to spread. It is VERY common in places where there are a lot of cats. Your kitty needs to stay hydrated, offer little bowls of water frequently. Get any food you can down her, I keep Hartz Delectable Lickable around in the stew flavors, cats seem to eat this when they won't eat anything else. She needs lots of humidity. Run hot water in the bathroom until it becomes steamy and sit with her in there for at least 15 minutes. or put her in there after a shower. She does need a vet in case she needs an antibiotic, which once again I put in a small amount of Delectable Licakables. I pray it isn't anything more serious. please keep us updated.
Thank You So Much. I thought that the steam & humidity might help. I have put a bit of tuna juice in her water to see if that helps but it hasn't yet. As soon I get.my paycheck I am taking her to the Vet immediately. I have been referred by several people to a Vet in Lemoore, CA.

Lynel

My "Monkey" ๐Ÿ’๐Ÿˆ
Kitten
Purraise
[/QUOTE
Thank you for rescuing Monkey and trying to take care of her. :thanks: I agree with you that it sounds like she definitely needs medical treatment but if you can't afford a vet right now this Article may have some helpful tips for you. Also if you have a regular vet can you contact them and ask for a temporary payment plan?
No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Catโ€™s Life โ€“ TheCatSite Articles

I'm sorry I can't be of anymore help regarding what to do until you receive your paycheck but perhaps Jcatbird Jcatbird or fionasmom fionasmom or Antonio65 Antonio65 or Norachan Norachan or another member can step in who have more experience rescuing kittens/cats. Best of luck, please keep us updated on Monkey's progress. :alright:
Thank You All for your support. It's amazing that the same things I did for my son when he was a baby to help his breathing is the same I'm doing for my Monkey. Bless You

Lynel

My "Monkey" ๐Ÿ’๐Ÿˆ
Kitten
Purraise
Please Please help me. Monkey is extremely bad. She keeps trying to get up and can't. She lays back down n just cry's. She dying in front of my eyes n there is nothing I can do to help her. I can tell she is in pain. It's breaking my heart.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You have to try to get her to a vet. Ask if you can make arrangements to pay them or if you can get some basic help like an antibiotic which might not be too expensive.

From reading you post, I am also going with severe URI which involved all the adult and kittens you have described in the area. Did the other couple take the kittens to the vet? Could they help you?

Lynel

My "Monkey" ๐Ÿ’๐Ÿˆ
Kitten
Purraise
I found a Vet now I'm just trying to find some one to give me a ride. They have to do something even if they have to put her to sleep it will be better than her being in pain. They can't just leave her in pain right?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You are doing the right thing to try to get her to a vet. If she seems to be this bad, the vet will discuss euthanasia with you and yes, it might be the most humane thing to do for her depending on what you are told. I am very sorry that you have had to face this. Let us know what happens.

Lynel

My "Monkey" ๐Ÿ’๐Ÿˆ
Kitten
Purraise
I will thank you. She's just crying louder n louder n trying to go to the litter box. I've been through some rough patches with the babies I've had. This one just seems so much worse. Maybe it's because I'm getting older.

Lynel

My "Monkey" ๐Ÿ’๐Ÿˆ
Kitten
Purraise
Well she's gone. She just passed. Thank God she's not in any pain anymore. I don't think I will EVER EVER have another pet. I don't think I will ever get this experience out of my head. I thank you all for the support you gave me. Bless You All.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am so sorry that you lost her. Please try to realize that you did a lot for this kitten and she understood that you were. You rescued her from a dog, which is huge in itself, and took care of her with food and KMR. Despite her short life, she at least had the knowledge that someone was there for her and she felt safe. You don't know about her history aside from her very young age and she may have been afflicted with conditions that were not going to be treatable. To her, you were her hero and unlike a lot of other struggling cats and kittens, she had someone in her brief time here who cared for her. :redheartpump::hugs:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry....I was afraid it might be something bad, maybe even distemper. Thank you so much for trying to help her and being with her. You will be blessed for loving her. RIP sweet precious one.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear this Lynel Lynel It sounds like you did everything you could for her. We always lock the threads when a cat or kitten passes as a sign of respect. I will lock this one now, but if you would like to start a memorial thread in Monkey's memory please do so in our Crossing the Bridge forum.

It sounds like the mother cat and her remaining kittens may also need your help. We have a forum where people can give you advice on Caring for Strays and Ferals You can start a thread there about trapping the mother to be spayed and helping the rest of the family.

Rest in peace Monkey.

:angelcat:

Status
Not open for further replies.