Fever and lethargy in a cat? How long will it last?

kzkotval

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My poor baby has been feeling so down lately. For the past 4 days he's been so abnormal, he's just sleeping all day and looks so tired. He is still eating, drinking and using his litterbox though. I thought he had a hairball but that's not the issue. I took him to the vet yesterday and they said he had a fever so they gave him an antibiotic shot and said that he should feel better within the next 72hours.

I wanted to know if anyone has experienced this before? I'm a college student and I love my little guy more than anything and its frustrating to see him like this. I feel that he's not making THAT much improvement, but he is definitely more active than he was 4 days ago. But his appetite has reduced, but will eat treats and still drinks water.

I really hope that he will get better or that sicknesses actually do take time to get over in cats because vet bills are so expensive for me :(

How long does it usually take a cat to get over a fever after they've been given medicine? And is there anything I can do to help him? His sickness is really breaking my heart!

He's one year old, domestic short hair.

Last edited:

suzyl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would take his being active and drinking water as some good signs. I think animals much like people feel icky sometimes to eat when we are feeling ill and feverish... but the key is always drinking water!

Could you maybe consult over the phone with your vet in the morning and see if the vet is concerned with the loss of appetite Good luck to your kitty!

hugs!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kzkotval

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your response!!

I'm trying to stay positive but sometimes I just need support from other cat owners as well.

So thank you! It's much appreciated.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi :wavey:
Sorry your kitty is not feeling well... Have your vet instructed you to feed him?

It is very VERY important that he eats - I know he is not hungry, and I know he doesn't want to eat - but it is not up to him anymore. :nono:
You see, when cats don't eat, they can fall into a vicious cycle that can quickly take them into liver failure, fatty liver disease. Once the kitty falls into this cycle, it just gets worst, where they get less and less hungry while the liver gets worst and worst - and it happens fast.
One day without food is ok - Day 2 you have to take matters into your hands and feed him.

This is day 4.
Get some syringes, wet food, and feed your kitty. He needs to eat what he would eat normally for an entire day - aim for 3/4 of that amount, in small meals throughout the day.
You can get a food from the vet Called Hills A/D it is perfect to feed via syringe. Or you can feed some meat only baby food (no garlic no onions). You can also put his favorite canned food in the food processor and blend it to a smooth consistency, to make it easier to syringe feed.

Whatever you do, feed him.

Here is a thread I did that has some very good information on syringe feeding, supplies, and good links. Watch the video, and read the links......
Please, don't leave it up to your baby..... an appetite stimulant from your vet should be helpful also :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:
http://www.thecatsite.com/t/227858/syringe-feeding-lucky-video-if-your-cat-is-not-eating

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kzkotval

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for all these great suggestions you guys!!

You all will be glad to hear that my little man is doing well! He's back to being a naughty boy and messing up everything haha.

Thanks for all the support!