Ferals And Tv???

KrisinOhio

Kristin
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone!! These forums have been very helpful and educational, thank you to all!! One month ago i brought in the house a feral mama cat and her 2 month old kitten. All is going well, vet visits, socializing, etc. Mama kitty is afraid of TV, is this normal? How do i go about getting her used to it? The cat room is next to the family room and I'm trying to extend their familiarity with the house. The kitten will come right in, but if the TV is on, mama wants nothing to do with it!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
She may never get comfortable with it, but you could try having music (there's an app called Relax My Cat, et al) on just for her, or try nature shows on the tv, or try keeping the volume on the tv a little lower.
Best of luck, and let me know if any of this works :)

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats do have sensitive hearing, so volume could be part of her fear. A large part is probably that she's never seen the like before. She hears people and other animals making noise but can't see them or smell them. Rather than think they are ghosts, I suspect she is thinking they are predators she can't see. Time will probably take care of this, but it might be a lot of time. I think Furballsmom is right, start with the ap that plays music that relaxes cats. One step at a time.

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have had cats who liked to watch hockey games. They would stand right in front of the TV and try to catch the puck! I have found bird and squirrel videos online for another cat and she will sit there for long periods of time watching and listening. Of course, these were not feral cats! But I'll bet in time Mama kitty will get used to the TV. Is it possible that the people watching the TV are scaring her? Maybe having too much fun, laughing or being loud?

I agree with the previous comments: try soft music (harp music is supposed to be soothing for feral cats), try a nature show, keep the sound fairly low. Sounds like most things are going really well -- good luck with the TV situation!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KrisinOhio

Kristin
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone! I am keeping the volume low, but this is the tv room, where my husband and i spend our evenings. The cats room is just on the other side, separated by a door. I am leaving it open when we are home, and giving treats when the peep around the corner.

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not sure if it is practical for you. Could try muffling the sound of the TV by putting blankets or something on the wall.

8 Sound Proofing Secrets for a Quieter Home

I am not saying rip your walls apart. But maybe shield the sound from them and let them slowly get used to living in a human habitat. All the best of luck to you I think you are doing a wonderful thing.

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you have a good plan: keep the sound low and offer treats to those who peek in! I had envisioned perhaps rowdy youngsters, but with just your husband and you, I'll bet the cats will get used to the TV fairly quickly. Thanks for taking care of these kitties!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KrisinOhio

Kristin
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks! The rowdiest we get is staying awake later than 9 pm!! :)

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My girl was a feral and she is the only cat interested in TV. I think it's the indvidual cat and getting her used to sounds in general. When Rocket was little we'd leave a radio or the TV on when no one was home so she'd get used to constant noise.

Here is Rocket wanting to know why the man in the TV isn't petting her.
IMG_20181207_200744.jpg