Feral?

nwengel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I recently adopted a kitten from a feral cat rescue. The mama was brought in to the rescue and had her kittens there. My question is, is the kitten automatically considered feral as well?

I think they must have done an excellent job with her (the place was spotless, with 30 cats) because beyond the first couple days, she has shown every sign of being a loving, well-adjusted kitty.

I just want to make sure I am giving Phoebe everything she needs.

30B51C49-7BB1-4AD7-BE52-9623A8BE5636.jpeg

81F953E8-8441-4A4D-8135-A0B044EB3AE9.jpeg

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Phoebe is a real cutie! My inclination is to say no, she isn't feral, as she has had human interaction since birth. She may display some feral traits later on, but I doubt it. Our 6 were born feral to a feral mother, and it took months to get them to where they trusted us enough to follow us inside, where they have remained since. Your path should be much easier. Good luck with your new kitty, and thank you for giving her a FURever home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nwengel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! She’s pretty special. :)

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Phoebe has definitely turned in her feral card. I have only ever adopted former ferals, occasionally a true, abandoned stray, but usually ferals. My avatar and her sister were born under my neighbor's house to a completely feral mother and father. Mom showed no signs of socialization and neither did the other sister; however, Lily and Chiquita are now complete house pets who demand attention and affection all day long and sleep with me. They are not the first ferals I have owned who have "crossed over" into complete domestication.