Feral with wounded leg

fairynanook

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have a feral cat that we have been taking care of for about 4 years now.  A couple weeks ago, I noticed he had a wound on one of his front legs, but since then, it has gotten worse to the point where he won't put any weight on the leg. We can see it bleeding and sometimes see puss coming out of it.  He does not let us touch him or pick him up, but I am wondering if there is something that can be done for him, aside from trying to catch him and get him to a vet. 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you try to catch him, the best is to use some sort of trap.  Either a human trap (Havahart trap), or a drop trap.

You can perhaps also rig up a carrier for a trap.

Another possibility is,

IF you can come near, you can perhaps lay a towel or something over him, and wrap him up.

When well wrapped up and defenceless, they got submissive and accepts.

Taking him to the vet etc is the very best.

Another bonus is, now when he is sick, he is also easier to foster. The "window" of easy fostering a feral, usually open only when they are small kittens, is opening now again.

If you cant or dont want do any of this, you can probably give him some antibiotics with his food. Preferably something suggested and prescribed by your vet.

Give him also good and nourishing food.

Tx for caring and helping this guy, our small brother!

Good luck!     *vibes*

ps  Welcome to the TCS site and our Forums!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS :D :clap: And thank you for caring for ferals :hugs:. I would absolutely trap this cat right away. This is a serious injury and it does not sound like it will heal on it's own.... I am sorry :hugs: This cat needs a vet immediately. If you don't have a trap - Havahart - contact your local shelter or animal control or TNR organization - they will happily loan you a trap. Please keep us posted. I will pray for this kitty... :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

iris

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would see if I could get some cat antibotics and put them in his food..but a vet visit would be best.