Feral turned Tame

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
be very leery of bringing an animal to the humane society - http://www.nathanwinograd.com/?page_id=166 see "The Truth About HSUS" on the right side of the page
I wouldn't condemn all Humane Societies on the basis of a name. Many local Humane Societies -- including the one where I volunteer -- have no connection to HSUS. You would need to investigate each one individually.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

cruzn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree about the Humane Society! I have had nothing but positive with them here in Nashville.  they were very helpful when I thought I was going to take Iris there.

cruzn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Things are still going good.  I have noticed that my Edde has been looking thru the cat door in the bedroom door.  She has watched Iris in the room without making a fuss.

Iris is playing more each day.  Its amazing that a few weeks ago she didn't know how to play.  I guess that is part of being feral. She does still look around when eating like someone or something is going to get her food. Still part of the instinct of being born feral.

I have opened the window blinds so that she can see out.  Oh my she loved that!

I see that it is going to be a while before she is ready to come out to the rest of the house.  but thats okay.  I'm only happy knowing she is safe and clean now. I will give her the time she needs.  As all say not a quick process. I love that little girl! I know in the end I have a forever friend. with that said, I again appreciate all encouragement.  I'm sure there might be some rough roads ahead.  Thanks All.

Mama to vet this week.

whaler

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't condemn all Humane Societies on the basis of a name. Many local Humane Societies -- including the one where I volunteer -- have no connection to HSUS. You would need to investigate each one individually.

I agree about the Humane Society! I have had nothing but positive with them here in Nashville. they were very helpful when I thought I was going to take Iris there.

i did not mean to imply that all humane society shelters are the same - i hate blanket statements - i just wanted to make sure that you (or anyone else) are aware of what their local humane society's policies are.

the hsus gave the davidson county animal shelter a "shelter we love" award despite its continued use of the gas chamber, despite the fact that its workers put a mother cat, her kitten and a raccoon into it together and watched them fight before "gassing" them, despite the fact that the shelter allowed two police officers to kill a dog in the gas chamber, and despite it's horrendous save rate.

yet, at the same time, not too far from you cruzn (you mention nashville) at the henderson humane society the new head, Josh Cromer, turned a 55% save rate into a 95% save rate in a year.

these "polar opposite" shelters are one example of why i hate blanket statements, and why i urge caution when bringing an animal in.

Last edited:

whaler

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Things are still going good.  I have noticed that my Edde has been looking thru the cat door in the bedroom door.  She has watched Iris in the room without making a fuss.
Iris is playing more each day.  Its amazing that a few weeks ago she didn't know how to play.  I guess that is part of being feral. She does still look around when eating like someone or something is going to get her food. Still part of the instinct of being born feral.
I have opened the window blinds so that she can see out.  Oh my she loved that!
I see that it is going to be a while before she is ready to come out to the rest of the house.  but thats okay.  I'm only happy knowing she is safe and clean now. I will give her the time she needs.  As all say not a quick process. I love that little girl! I know in the end I have a forever friend. with that said, I again appreciate all encouragement.  I'm sure there might be some rough roads ahead.  Thanks All.
Mama to vet this week.

that is great that Edde seems to be handling this so well, especially in so short a period of time.

for the better part of the first year pretty girl did the same thing when eating. she still gobbles down her food way too fast but i think that is more so due to her being on a diet.

"rough roads ahead" - glad to see you have a realistic view on what lies ahead :-)

sounds like you are doing an excellent job and are well on your way to a very happy ending.

bastfriend

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
these "polar opposite" shelters are one example of why i hate blanket statements, and why i urge caution when bringing an animal in.
Is there a good source that centralizes info on individual shelters?   I had a sad experience with my local shelter where they said a cat that was in a no-kill category they would keep or loan out to rescue groups as long as adoption took got put down because she was aggressive toward a potential adopter.    This was a cat I wasn't in a position to adopt at the time but had been trying to watch out for and thought she was safe where she was.   I'm still a little heartbroken over it that I didn't try harder to make space for her and get her out of there, but I believed she wasn't at risk.    So yeah....if a shelter isn't no-kill anything can still happen.

cruzn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay another bridge being crossed.  Iris really wanted out of the room after being cooped up all day with no interaction from me because I was at work.  I opened the door so that Edde could see her. (Oh Iris hadn't meowed since I brought her home. Now she is walking around meowing). Right now Iris keeps going in and out of the room where she has been. Edde is watching her with no aggession whatsoever.  What do I do now?

whaler

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
wow, sounds like Edde has a really good temperament.

i would probably let her decide what she wants to do next. as long as you are not preoccupied with something allow her to explore on her terms and see how Edde reacts. i think i would still keep Iris in her room when you are not there just in case things change.

it is really nice to hear another success story.

how about some more pictures?

whaler

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is there a good source that centralizes info on individual shelters?   I had a sad experience with my local shelter where they said a cat that was in a no-kill category they would keep or loan out to rescue groups as long as adoption took got put down because she was aggressive toward a potential adopter.    This was a cat I wasn't in a position to adopt at the time but had been trying to watch out for and thought she was safe where she was.   I'm still a little heartbroken over it that I didn't try harder to make space for her and get her out of there, but I believed she wasn't at risk.    So yeah....if a shelter isn't no-kill anything can still happen.

it does not seem as though there are many that are maintained/updated very frequently. one that i found a while back - http://www.nokillnetwork.org/d/ i can only speak for my area, but that site has most (not all) of the no kill shelters listed.

Last edited:

cruzn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks for asking for pic Whaler.  What is your name?  Mine is Ms. Marti. I'm so totally amazed at what is happening tonite. Iris is coming out into the house but is somewhat scared. But she is talking.  She hasn't talked since she's been here.  Edde does have a great tempermate. She did hiss at her but she is backing off and watching Iris. I sure didn't think we would be this far along already. Iris really wanted the attention today that she usually gets from several of us at work each day. Will keep you updated.  Thank you for your help.  I will keep Iris in the closed room tomorrow just in case.

cruzn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will NEVER and I mean Never take an animal to Nashville Animal Control. They put down a friend of mines dog before the waiting period because he had some tumors. They treated her like it didn't matter when she went to locate hime three times.  I will always use the Nashville Humane Society.

whaler

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thanks for asking for pic Whaler.  What is your name?  Mine is Ms. Marti. I'm so totally amazed at what is happening tonite. Iris is coming out into the house but is somewhat scared. But she is talking.  She hasn't talked since she's been here.  Edde does have a great tempermate. She did hiss at her but she is backing off and watching Iris. I sure didn't think we would be this far along already. Iris really wanted the attention today that she usually gets from several of us at work each day. Will keep you updated.  Thank you for your help.  I will keep Iris in the closed room tomorrow just in case.

that is great that there have not been any major issues between the two. it sure does sound like the two of them will be buddies soon enough.

i look forward to more updates about the two of them and their progress - as well as pictures of both of them.

oh yeah, my name is todd

cruzn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Another minestone.  Edde is going into the room where Iris is.  She is hissing but I think she is setting the boundaries.  Iris keeps coming out to the hall and exploring more.  Hopefully the become friends soon because I have to go out of town next weekend. Wish me the best. I love both these cats so much and would hate if they don't become friends.  But I think they will because Edde is so forgiving. 

cruzn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks Todd! Did you see the picture I put in my album of Iris? She looks like she has already grown and her coat looks so much better since she isn't in that dirty garage.  BTW my husband is talking to Iris now! LOL you guys always amaze me. He says he doesn't like cats but loves Edde and she loves him. More updates tomorrow.  Feel progress!!!

whaler

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will NEVER and I mean Never take an animal to Nashville Animal Control. They put down a friend of mines dog before the waiting period because he had some tumors. They treated her like it didn't matter when she went to locate hime three times.  I will always use the Nashville Humane Society.

that is too bad that your local animal control is like that. i have far too often read about different communities animal control being uncaring, inhuman jerks, especially regarding feral cats.

i am so happy that in my area the animal control officers are great in every way. the animal control officer in my town even sent my a letter of condolence when i lost one of my ferals recently.

Thanks Whaler!
you're welcome. if you do ever come across a more comprehensive list please let me know.

whaler

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Another minestone.  Edde is going into the room where Iris is.  She is hissing but I think she is setting the boundaries.  Iris keeps coming out to the hall and exploring more.  Hopefully the become friends soon because I have to go out of town next weekend. Wish me the best. I love both these cats so much and would hate if they don't become friends.  But I think they will because Edde is so forgiving. 

thanks Todd! Did you see the picture I put in my album of Iris? She looks like she has already grown and her coat looks so much better since she isn't in that dirty garage.  BTW my husband is talking to Iris now! LOL you guys always amaze me. He says he doesn't like cats but loves Edde and she loves him. More updates tomorrow.  Feel progress!!!
well this will be a good "test" to see if your husband really meant it when he told you he supported your bringing Iris home :-) watch, by the time you get home he will have both Edde and Iris sleeping on his lap at the same time!

i love the picture of her, she is beautiful. how about a picture or two of Edde?

cruzn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Things are going good.  Left the bedroom door open all night. No fights!

cruzn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Todd,

Woot Woot!! Week milestone! Today the husband accidently left the bedroom door open all day. Came in and inspected both cats and the house.  No damage to anyone or anything.  Yeah!!! Gave them both treats and praised them. Whether they understood or not! LOL I'm so proud of them.  Iris is exploring more.  When Edde goes into the bedroom and pounces Iris just lays on her back like she is ready to play.  How surprised am I?  Bunches and bunches. I'm sooo glad they are getting along since we have to go out of town next week for a few days.

I have noticed that Iris has been sneaking to the kitchen and eating Edde's food. Geez she is gonna be fat! As you said Pretty Girl gobbled her food for a year.

Tomorrow I will be having additional guests in the house and I'm sure that will be another milestone. (Although they are dog people) Oh well, my kitties get a lot of love without anyone else.

Will post pictures of the two of them soon I hope.

Ms. Marti