Feral turned indoor cat: how to get to vet?!

doddsington

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi All! I'm a feral colony caretaker, my humane society community cat director cares for it with me. We realized this one cute little nugget actually wasn't feral. We named her Nosy Rosie. That's because she started following us, rubbing against us, showing her belly and letting us pet her. I ended up trapping her, and letting her decompress in a spare room. She's turned into the best house kitty!! Our princess bubble gum. One of her (new to her) brothers also came from the colony(abandoned drop off) and they've become best friends, doing everything together. He's taught her so much. It's adorable. Here's the thing, she hides when anyone other that myself and my fiancé are in the house. I had a in-home vet come over during NRs decompression to test for FIV/FELV(neg) and NR had to be given gabapentin, which didn't do much, AND so she had to be sedated and captured with a E-Z nabber net. It was so awful to watch because she tossed her little cookies and passed out. I thought she died. I started crying, it was traumatic. And it was $375. My question is what would you do with NR to get her vet care? Seems like she turns into a feral when she knows somethings up <3 Keep having the in-home vet come over so NR gets used to her? I don't know how long that would take lol.

Attachments

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is there a reason she has to see the vet right now? Are you just trying to plan ahead?
I would not use the Vet that used the ez grabber on her. I absolutely hate any device used for a terrified cat. if she passed out, you are lucky she didn’t die.
My own many generations feral cat, that o rescued at 4 months, still wont let anyone other than me and my significant other see her. She is 13 years now.
There is nothing you can do to change her personality. You can try to get her to trust you more by playing with her etc., but if she is a shy cat, she always will be.
The experience with the vet at home didn’t help things and you want to avoid anything v like that happening again.
Find a feline only vet. If you absolutely must take her in, talk to your vet about a higher dose of Gabapentin the night before and the day of. Also talk about using Trazadone as well. The thing is if she is that terrified she will override sedation and they would do best giving her an I’m injection as soon as she gets to the hospital. Also having them use a benzo that has amnesiac properties would be best.

Obviously only take her in if it is an absolute necessity.

AndreaG

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All! I'm a feral colony caretaker, my humane society community cat director cares for it with me. We realized this one cute little nugget actually wasn't feral. We named her Nosy Rosie. That's because she started following us, rubbing against us, showing her belly and letting us pet her. I ended up trapping her, and letting her decompress in a spare room. She's turned into the best house kitty!! Our princess bubble gum. One of her (new to her) brothers also came from the colony(abandoned drop off) and they've become best friends, doing everything together. He's taught her so much. It's adorable. Here's the thing, she hides when anyone other that myself and my fiancé are in the house. I had a in-home vet come over during NRs decompression to test for FIV/FELV(neg) and NR had to be given gabapentin, which didn't do much, AND so she had to be sedated and captured with a E-Z nabber net. It was so awful to watch because she tossed her little cookies and passed out. I thought she died. I started crying, it was traumatic. And it was $375. My question is what would you do with NR to get her vet care? Seems like she turns into a feral when she knows somethings up <3 Keep having the in-home vet come over so NR gets used to her? I don't know how long that would take lol.
How adorable is she? I have almost the same exact situation as you. Ironically, my not so feral feral would let me pet her outside and would rub against me, but now that I brought her in, she will not let me pet her at all. She seems to be loving the indoor life, but we are 10 months in and she is still not letting me pet her. She eats like a champ and loves to play. Three months ago I had to take her to the vet and I had no idea what I would do. I tied a string to the bathroom door and put her food in there. I closed it on her when she was in there eating. Then I went in with the carrier and she was so scared she wanted to go into it. I might be making it sound a little easier than it was, 😬 it took some flying around the bathroom but eventually she wanted to hide (I used a towel to make a tunnel into the carrier).
AT The vet, she was so spooked that she was actually docile. She let him manhandle her like crazy. I couldn’t believe it! It was the first time I got to pet her since I brought her in. It wasn’t all that traumatic in the end this way. Once she was in the carrier she felt safe, at the vet she was wide-eyed and docile. Then home to a lot of treats. So if you can get her into a carrier by putting her in a small space that is what I would try.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's a cutie pie, and what happened must of been terrible for you and her. My daughters boy is hard work to get into the carrier. He was semi ferral before she took him in. What she does is leave his carrier in the living room a couple of days before he goes to the vet. That way he does not freak out when it's brought out. Then she will gently take him by the scruff and support his bum while she takes him to the carrier. He normally knows something is happening and hides. We found if I hold the carrier so the door is on top it's easier to drop him in bum first than try to put him in while it's on the floor or face first. Also that way teeth and claws are away from you. His carrier has a removable top so the vet just takes the top off to check him and because he freezes while he's there, getting the top back on is pretty easy. Sounds like your girl does the same even I get to pet him when he's in the vets office. It's probably more stressful for her to have a stranger come onto her territory than being put firmly into the carrier. At least when she comes back home from the vets she'll be in what she sees as a safe space.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have 3 semi feral cats living inside my house that are nearly impossible to get to the vet. Here is what I have found works the best. A few days before vet visit, I put the carrier in the room. I spray it with Feliway, add some catnip and a few treats. I do this a few times each day.

I try to schedule the vet visit for mid/late morning. Not first thing. My vet prescribes 2, 100mg gabapentin capsules. I have found it's best if the cat will take the capsule in a pill pocket. Emptying the capsule is so hard to get the cat to eat the entire contents as it's very bitter tasting and hard to disguise. I give 1 of the capsules around 10-11pm. I find it can take up to 2 hours for the cat to get loopy. Be sure they are confined to a room as it does make them wobbly on their feet and quite drowsy. Then the next morning about 3 hours before the appointment I give the 2nd capsule. I have found that giving really helps.

I also believe there is something a bit stronger than gabapentin as well. You can call and discuss this with your vet.