feral to indoor

mattbeck

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have seen 3 generations of feral cats in our neighborhood. Yes, I feed these cats, that's why they come around. Last winter, 3 kittens were born and came around a lot with the mom. Soon it was only 2, think one didn't make it. The 2 survivors hung around for a bit till we were down to 1. Think the other just went elsewhere.

This cat has not left my house in 2 months. Every time I looked out a door, there it was meowing at me. Always hanging out chilling on the porch as I sit there. 2 months of constantly being outside our house. So I decided to TNR 2 days ago.

I could let it out today but I've bonded over the year and hate to see it struggle this winter since it will be cold. I've cleared out a room in the basement, have everything a cat could want and then some. It barely cries, not being aggressive at all and sleeps most the time. Sleeping right now about 3 feet from me. Won't let me touch it, not really trying. I expected a crying aggressive cat that could shred most of what's in there. Nope. Calmer than our current house cat, which is hardly bothered by the new feral in the basement. I did introduce them, while holding our housecat, and not much reaction. A quick glance was about it.

Not sure what to do now. I spend time in the room talking to it. Keeping my distance and trying to entertain. Any suggestions or am I crazy for trying this??

dandila

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You are not at all crazy.  Sounds to me as if you've just got a soft spot for cats like all the rest of us here.  Keep doing what you're doing.  Spend some time with it?  Is IT a boy or girl?  Give it a nice name.  Do you have Da Bird?  Outdoor cats usually go crazy for it if they're inside.  It is a great way to release some energy for indoor cats and perk up those predator instincts.  Cat towers are wonderful for vertical space.

It may surprise you and be the best house cat you've ever had!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mattbeck

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much for the reply. It is a boy, vet says 2 yo, I say just over 1. Haha. Have a cat tower in the room with scratching posts. Took some toys in too. Going to try a laser pointer tonight to see if it likes that. I will look up Da Bird, prob have toys like it. Gave it the name Kevin while it was outside. When it was young it would jump around, so I called it footloose. Since that was kinda dumb, Kevin Bacon was in footloose so now I call it Kevin. Lol. Funny to me I guess.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would definitely try to keep him indoors. It is a big step that he has adjusted to being inside so quickly and hasn't had words with your current resident. Most of the hard work is done! Is he using the litter box? If so, most of your major battles are won!

I love the name Kevin. He sounds like a pretty neat cat!

dandila

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Kevin is a cool name.  There are toys similar to Da Bird, but they aren't Da Bird.  Da Bird is a very special toy...get it now.  You may want to go ahead and get the replacement feathers because cats can do a number on them.  Don't give it to him full time.  When you are finished playing with him put it away for safekeeping.  Otherwise, he will dismantle it in an hour or so.  Welcome to The Cat Site...you're fitting right in.

mattbeck

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone.  Last night was good.  He is using the litter box every time.  He ate in front of me, walked around a bit and we also played a little.

Now this morning was a different story, up at 5:00 because the cat escaped his room in basement room.  I sat there scratching my head trying to figure out how.  The door was still closed and the cat was elsewhere.   Brought out the food and it followed me back to the room.  Put the food down, the cat looked at me, started to walk my way, went right by me and jumped on a box I had on the floor behind me.  From the box it climbed the drywall a bit, into the drop ceiling.  Last night he came down on the other side of the door, I see the marks.  Today, wont come down, he found a good spot and I cannot reach him.  Just sleeping up there getting dirty among the dust.

I took all the elevated objects out of the room in hopes to not happen again. 

I find it amusing, think the cat is pretty smart.  The wife, not so much.  I have no problem leaving the door open and letting him roam, my only fear is our current female cat, such a baby.

Should I just wait it out or find a way to get him down??

Should I keep it in this room (now that its ceiling jumping free)?

Is it ok to roam the house??

Where's Jackson Galaxy when I need him or the Cat Whisperer.  :)

mattbeck

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Found him. Spent the day looking in the ceiling only to find him behind boxes on the floor. Just don't know whether to put him back in the room or let him roam freely????

mattbeck

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Let the cat back outside.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Some cats take longer to adjust to life indoors than others do. If you are happy to keep feeding him and let him in when he wants to come in it might be better to do things at his speed. My avatar cat took a few years to become an indoor cat. He had been feral for about ten years before this, so it took him a while. Now he appreciates having a warm bed and regular food.

You've just had him neutered, right? It will take a while before his hormones settle down so he doesn't have such a strong urge to roam. The way I got my feral cats to come in was to leave the door open with their food just inside the door. It's not the perfect solution, but if you think he's more comfortable with some outdoor access and can let him go at his own pace it should work out for both of you.

Good luck, thank you for trying to help him.

mattbeck

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks. He escaped the room again last night. No idea how after I covered his earlier escape route. Must have found another. Came upstairs, found the doorwall and sat and cried for hours. Figured he wanted out, that's why the escape and crying. So I let him out. Hopefully we get another chance some day.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As long as you provide him with shelter and food, he will have a better life. If he wants to come inside, I would let him. Just make sure you give him flea treatments.

At some point, maybe you can add a catio or enclosed porch for him alone. Good luck and thank you for helping him!