Feral, Stray Or Wandering Housecat?

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
A few weeks ago I came home to see a small adult cat huddled in the bushes near my house. I went to check to see if it was injured and it hissed at me and tore off. Since then I have been setting out a days worth of food and generally the cat comes by a few times a day and finished off what I leave out, so I think I am it’s main or only source of food.

It will not let me anywhere close and is extremely skittish and wary while it eats which makes me think it’s feral. But it could also be a cat that was dumped and is just fearful. Today when it came by it sniffed the food and walked away, so it either found food elsewhere or was perhaps has a home and was fed there. Which of the three do you think it might be?

My neighborhood generally doesn’t have many wandering cats, and animal control will trap and pick up any that are reported. Our Minnesota winters are brutal and deadly for cat living outdoors so I need to figure out what to do with this cat. I have already posted signs around the neighborhood and placed an ad on Craig’s lists with no response and I am trying to figure out what to do, whether to call animal control, try to trap the cat myself or just wait longer into fall.

Advice appreciated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I have never used a cat trap but I don’t think it would be that complicated and I do have a spare room. This little cat and my Willow have been nose to nose through the door glass and after 30 seconds of huffing at one another, no howling or hissing, the outdoor cat went back to eating and Willow walked away so the reaction of both is encouraging. If this turns out to be a feral, I don’t think I could keep it but perhaps if it was not.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My two former ferals are wonderful house cats, but I haven't been able to teach them not to scratch people yet. That is their only fault. But don't let that discourage you. I wouldn't trade them for the world. :)

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Most of mine were feral to start with. The do calm down a lot once you get them indoors.

I think the best thing to do would be trap the cat, take them to a vet to be scanned for a chip and then see if they can be brought indoors after that. They'll need to be seen by a vet before you bring them in, they'll probably have worms or fleas. A blood test for FIV/FeLV is important before they meet Willow face to face too.

If not, maybe you could make a feral cat shelter to help them through the winter? Most former ferals are happy enough to move indoors though.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Norachan. Definitely vet visit before anything else. I have already made the cat a temporary house out of a straw filled storage tub since we are getting into the 30’s already at night but I don’t think she is using it. She seems to be living under my neighbors porch or somewhere in their back yard.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could try petting him with something on a long handle. That's how I tamed Demi. I hope I didn't scare you off from adopting a feral. They really are quite wonderful, aside from the scratching thing, which we are working on. :)

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like this little one has already started to worm his/her way into your heart! (they definitely have a way of sniffing us softies out a mile away!;)). I'm SO glad you're already giving it food/water and offering shelter. Our part of the country isn't getting quite that cold yet - - but in your area you definitely get the brutal cold earlier (and longer!). If she hasn't utilized the shelter you made - - try sprinkling some catnip at the entrance and inside it. That's often enough to get them to go in and give it a try!

You've done your due diligence to try and find out if someone's missing a cat. I think now you can fairly safely assume the little one's either a feral, a dump, or a stray. So as always, Norachan Norachan 's right on. I'd trap (it's not hard at all - - it involves patience more than skill - - -and sooner rather than later too, since even more brutal weather will be hitting your area before we know it!) Many of us on this board have done alot of humane trapping and can offer quite a few tips and tricks to help you - - just ask! You can generally get humane traps at shelters and spay/neuter clinics. In our area, the clinics offer them for free, requiring only a deposit that's returned as soon as you return the trap. If you tell them that you've never used one, they'll give you a quick lesson on setting it up. Before you trap though - if you're going to go to your vet vs. a spay/neuter clinic, double check that they'll work with him/her if he/she is indeed feral or semi-feral. Some vets just aren't equipped to (or don't like to) deal with them, and the last thing you want to do is get somewhere and find out the kitty can't be seen. Spay/neuter clinics are obviously very used to feral/semi-feral, but most are also happy to work with stray and owned kitties too.

And yes - if you're even thinking about keeping the kitty (or socializing and finding it another home), along with a general vet check and spaying/neutering, a blood test for feline leukemia is a must (esp. since you'll be exposing your kitty to this new one).

It does sound as though you've got a good set up (the second bedroom) to try socializing him/her - - -and acclimating the little one to Willow slowly too. I'd give socializing a try - - you just never know. We've had a pretty great rate of success (knock on wood) socializing and then adopting out ferals (from small kittens to young adults), but it can take time and patience, and the "end result" can definitely vary (we've even had 2 that we were 99.9% sure were fully feral - - - only to find that, after a little time and patience - we broke through and learned that they were 100% someone's cat at some point!). And if worst comes to worst - - -you could put her back outside if you just couldn't make socializing her work - - she'd have shelter, food, water, and a caring caregiver - - more than many ferals have!).

We had one little feral in our neighborhood colony that (long story short) we TNR'd (trap/neutered/released). We have heated shelters, heated water bowls, and offer food, so this little one stayed close, even through a really awful winter here a few years ago. We knew her history - and she was totally feral. After about a year of hanging around, she started showing interest in my husband when he gardened (keeping her distance - - but following him around the yard), and he started calling her "Flick" (she's a tiny grey girl with a heart-shaped 'flick' of white on her chest). After almost a year, we learned a neighbor had "had it" with the cat colony (even though we'd made massive inroads thru TNR) so he began poisoning them. So we began trying to socialize her as quickly as possible outside - - and (here's where I'll shorten it massively) - - she's now the love of our lives (don't tell our other 2 indoor kitties - - -or the remaining 4 TNR ferals who have become basically ours over the years). She's a complete lap cat (my husband calls her our "comfort cat" since she seems to know who needs her most, or who's had a bad day - - because they get the snuggles and lap cuddles first). So you never know till you try! And it sounds as though Willow is giving her approval to give it a shot! :)

Let us know what you decide to do - - - -you have many people here to lean on, who'll happily help in any way possible, be it advice or a shoulder. Keep us posted!

(and I attached a photo of Flick - - to show feral doesn't have to mean fearful forever!).

Flickdoorway.jpg

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for your helpful advice and an update. I was still researching whether to trap her myself or to get help from a local rescue group when my little stray disappeared. I walked neighborhood streets to see maybe she had been hit by a car but no sign of her. It has now been over a week and she has not been back. I am hoping that she found her way home.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, if you're still open to the idea of taking her in, remember this
My neighborhood generally doesn’t have many wandering cats, and animal control will trap and pick up any that are reported.....​
Does your animal control euthanize unclaimed cats? Perhaps they're sent to a shelter.

If you're feeling a little 'let down' that she hasn't returned, you could always call them...perhaps she was reported and picked up.....?

And, there's this: Nextdoor.com