Feral/stray kittens meowing like crazy

kassypay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently just took in two ferals to try and socialize them, it is the first time I have ever done it they are young. I'm not sure how young but I can hold them and they normally don't mind. But I keep them in a playpen and I feel so bad because they meow and try to get out. This is the first night and I just feel so bad! Is it normal? What should I do?!

mybabies59

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Dont feel bad. What you are doing is amazing, they just need time to adjust. Just keep it that way for a few days, then out for a little bit at a time. Keep hold and cuddling if they allow it.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
@kassypay

Welcome to the Catsite :wavey: and thank you for taking in these two kittens.
It's good that they allow you hold them. This way it's easier for them to get socialized.
Have you kept cats before?
As the kittens are young, they need kitten food or if they are even younger, let's say like your palm size, they need milk to grow and not just any milk but have to be milk meant for kittens as cats are lactose intolerant. And they are not fully weaned yet.
Unless they are old enough to best solid food, feed them food meant for kittens as they are full of proteins for their growth. Make sure they have fresh water available all the time.
As for the crying in the playpen, kittens need lots of play time. While they are in e playpen, have done kitten safe toys for them to play and the cries they make could be they are hungry.
After they are kind of use to you after a few days, let them wander around in the house but make sure to keep them from getting stucked in small holes.
This site is a wonderful place for you to get stared and feel free to ask questions on raising your kittens as they are many experience cat daddys and cat mommies to help you. Please introduce yourself and post photos of your kittens in 'New Cats on the Block' in the General Forum page.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kassypay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
@mybabies59 @TabbyTom thank you guys for replying so quick! I feel much better about them meowing now! I have two other cats but I got them when they were about four months old and they were used to people already! I have been keeping the feral babies in a separate room in the playpen and they do eat dry food because they would come to my mom's house and eat food that she would put out for her cat. I am going to try to feed them some sort of cat patte with my hand today! And also I need to take them to the vet to get them fixed and checked for worms and FeLV ! Let me see if I can upload a pic of these Cutie's, I'm really not sure how old they are but they are weened!

kittypa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Count yourself lucky. This is how my feral kitten meow'd for the first couple days and nights. She was about 6 weeks old. She is much better now.  

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
@kassypay
Great job you are doing here :clap:

What a nice looking pair of kitties [emoji]10084[/emoji]️

kassypay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
@Kittypaw thanks for sharing! Mine haven't meowed that bad so I feel a little better if yours is doing well! I just hate to hear them cry! Breaks my heart!

@TabbyTom thank you!! Thank you for your love and support!

detroitcatlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Aww, what an adorable pair of kitties! So wonderful for you to take them in. KittyPa's mad kitten video reminds me of when I found my cat Shadow. She was only a couple weeks old when I found her meowing loudly in my yard, when I brought her inside she clung to me like glue. It was so hard to keep her in my bathroom with her meowing at the top of her lungs but it was the best option since I had 2 cats in the house, otherwise I probably would have spent every moment with her.

Last edited:

kassypay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok guys did you have any issues with fleas when you brought in these ferals?! So I just gave them a bath and used a flea comb and let me tell you so many fleas. I put some medication on them and on my two other cats . Since I have kept my older cats and the kittens separate I was thinking about flea bombing the room i have kept the kittens in with the raid flea bomb, but I don't know what to do about their toys and their playpen like how would I clean all of the pesticides off so it's safe.. by the way I'm freaking out a little because I leave in a two bedroom apartment and I hope it's not already infested!

kittypa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitten was bathed and treated for fleas at the vet before she entered my home. I have to be careful because my old kitty is allergic to fleas and will break out horribly if she gets even one.

kassypay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
@KitttPa aw man I should have done that! I feel so dumb! But I just was so excited to start socializing and I thought bathing them with dawn dish soap would have been enough! But I don't think I did a good job ! I just got some Diatomaceous earth food grade though, better than a flea bomb and safer

detroitcatlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I have brought in kittens or cats from outside I always bathed them as soon as I could and treated them for fleas. As long as you've done this I wouldn't worry too much, but it's also important to treat the kittens for worms too as cats can get tapeworms from fleas, and since they are ferals this is a good idea anyway. I only had a problem with fleas in the house once and it was mostly on cat bedding, etc as long as you treat them sooner rather than later it isn't a big deal.

Last edited: