feral/stray/ abcess

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

batrice

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
actually my mom has been feeding him at her condo for about  9 years. he had a girlfriend and they would sleep together and be with him all the time but she I think died. I noticed her one day last year looking at me real sick like and she never came back. I think someone must have had these cats and let them go why would they be together on my moms deck at her condo for 9 years? My mom now has alz but loves her cats and adores this guy. He knows when she gets up and is always at the sliding door looking in. He loves looking at her. I made beds for him and have done the best I can and when he is scared he just runs under the deck which is right off the kitchen. He even claws at the screen to my mom and sits on the covered cat carrier looking at her. A animal shelter trapped him at my suggestion and it took time getting them to do it but they did and now its just put him back there The TNR program?? My mom is still functional but her memory is shot but knows to feed the cat she LIVES for her cats. Has 3 indoor. I was looking into buying this guy a KatKabin something new on the market I guess. I just hate to have put him through all of this and have him fight again and be left alone. The shelter who fixed him are hard around the edges at least the guy who trapped him is terrible. So I sent an email to him as they do not talk by phone???? it seems. and ask if he should come here to my house? But my mom loves him even though she has forgotten already in a way. My hands are so full of trying to be the only caregiver to her and now the cat. The cat has his territory there. But if more fights are going to happen I just do not know. Probably best to put him back there I'm there everyday and if worse comes to worse I'll trap him and bring him home. What are your thoughts.

kitsey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would do what Carolina suggested and get him tested, then you can make a decision. I would love to see the boy be able to go indoors with you :)

batrice

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The guy said its to late to test him. That if the shelter was going to adopt out they would have tested him. I do have a cat a home but who knows he may have something not sure if he was tested. Is it contagious to other cats? If I have to I will take him in down the road. I feel bad but its probably best for the cat to be in his own territory.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can hear you feel bad about him being put back outside, but he is recovering from the neuter surgery and it's been a couple of days, so he is completely over the anesthesia, so not to worry about putting him back outside, this is what we do all the time, all of us on here, that is what TNR is about. And it's okay.

I'm not sure where you are, if FIV is as big there as here, but I imagine it is everywhere the same.

He may have been one of the luckier cats and dodged getting it, especially since he does not have a cold, etc.

But being that age, and his ears are ragged, he's been in lots of fights, and very well may have gotten this-FIV.

I wouldn't worry about it now anyway, he is not going to be tested.

Within a couple of weeks, his body will have adjusted to being neutered, and will NOT fight like he used to. Other males around him who are not neutered might get pushy/acting like they will fight, but when there are not hormones controlling him, he will back down. You'll see, it will be fine.

Good Job!

batrice

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for that. Actually when he was released yesterday around noon here in CT, we had to go a way for the day. The trapper thought he may not come back for a while on the deck but when we got home there he was at the sliding glass doors happy as can be you could even see his eyes. He ate well and had his meds. It bothers me he has no house but goes under the deck to sleep. I guess he's probably more protected under there. I have a large cat carrier covered so at least he has shelter from the rain but thats on the deck. Plus a bunch of pads and things so he can sun himself. I guess he's okay. How does FIV affect a cat. My indoor cat which was 13 years suddenly got Fluid in her belly a couple years back and had to be put down is that what FIV is or is it more of a cold/flu like disease. Is it transmitted to other cats . Any housing ideas or should I leave all that is. My fear is if he was in a house on the deck and an animal came it may be difficult for him to escape?

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Glad he is back home and doing so well AND eating :clap::clap::clap: It sounds like your other cat had FIP - the fluid build-up in the abdomen. FIV is similar to HIV in people - here is an article on the disease. It is not a death sentence as it was once thought to be http://www.thecatsite.com/a/fiv-in-cats. It is possible that he has contracted FIV from year's of fighting. It is only transmitted through a deep bite wound. There are many cat's that live long happy lives with FIV and never really have an issue at all. I think this kitty is lucky to have you caring for him and I am glad he is eating the food with the medication. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

p.s. There is also a long-time member here on TCS that has much knowledge on FIV - Her username is LDG..... you could send her a PM for even more information...:nod:

Last edited:

batrice

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just got back from my moms where the cat is. he seems a bit uncomfortable. He just sits on the deck in the sun and is not lying on the pillows like he use to. His eye is running a bit though he's eating well. I guess he needs more time after what he's been through with all the shots and meds hitting him all at once and then being neutered, I hope he's okay. I want to pet him and be with him but he's still a bit skiddish and my mom makes it difficult as well. Plus sleeping out at night wherever he goes and it being cold here last night in CT if he did sleep under the deck is not helping him. But the weather is supposed to turn warmer. Is too much amoxcillen bad. They gave him Biomox which says for dogs only! But I researched that I assume its okay. one ML twice a day. And I think they wormed him. How does one survive with all this stuff thrown at him??

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Biomax is an amoxicillin suspension and is fine to give. Just follow the vets instructions as to the dosage. Aw, poor kitty. That is a lot all at once, you are right, but the feral cat's seem to manage and unfortunately the shots, worming, neutering have to be done all at once on top of dealing with the healing abscess too :nervous:. I really hope that he IS getting his medication :cross: as this will help him fight off an infection. It is a worry :hugs:. He will not be himself for a day or two so keep close watch of him. Sending this little guy lots and lots of vibes tonight. I hope he feels better quickly :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Last edited: