Feral Relocation Failure - Your Advice Needed!![long/desperate]

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:help: My TCS family - I am posting for another member and WE are desperate for suggestions.
:(1. The current situation: Ferals are being contained in small dog crates and are extremely depressed, some with swollen legs. They were encaged after being trapped a year ago, by a person who had planned to put them in a catio. Prior to being trapped, they were under threat of extermination and relocating them was necessary. Because some tested FIV+, no sanctuary would accept them: a rescue group's foster parent agreed to let them live in her fenced back yard but after T/N put them in cages "until their catio is built".
:argue:2. Results of intervention attempts:
A feline rescue group's lead rescuer has managed to make contact, as has our fellow member. Apparently, the state of WA has no cage-size requirements and the cats have fresh food & water, clean beds and boxes, so the fact that they have no room to do more than stand between bed,bowls and litterbox is a moot point, legally. The woman refuses repeated offers of money, materials and volunteer labor to build the catio- insists that she will do it alone, "someday soon". The original cat guardian is devastated at the cats' lethargy, poor coat conditions, etc.
The woman fosters cats and dogs for another rescue group.:frustrated:
:cold:3. The Big Worries - Right now, the woman only reluctantly allows outsider access to the cats and any angering her might result in total blackout concerning visitation and monitoring of the cats. It was suggested to her that a catio was not necessary as the ferals can be released into the yard and will stay with their food and shelter source - her response was to become defensive and uncooperative.:doh:
What to do, what to do???:dunno::bawling2:
Please give your thoughts/suggestions;
Send prayers, vibes. . .our fellow TCS member is so distraught and needs our help & advice...:help:
P.S. I am acting as the covert go-between since I am 2 states away and am protecting the identities of everyone helping the cats.

Last edited:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yikes!

Does your area have guidelines on how many animals or cat can be on a property? Most areas are very vague when it comes to cat regulations so it is a long shot. Can documentation of the cats condition be used as a reason for animal control to come in? Since you said they have swollen legs.

At this point, those cats probably can't be released. Simple muscle atrophy would probably be a deadly condition for them. They likely need a catio or home they can regain strength in. If there are no legal means to remove them I am not sure how you would get them away from her.

There is a guy on Instagram @paulthecatguy who has experience working with relectant homeowners and such (he is based in New York). You might want to reach out. He might have ideas on how to convince the person to let you help the cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:wave3: Thank you - I simply had not considered the muscular atrophy and will relay that consideration right away.
I have seen Paul the CatGuy mentioned on FaceBook and will definitely reach out.
It is especially frustrating because this situation is out-of-state. My state and county have minimum space requirements, which is the main issue.
Again, thank you for the great advice!